Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get the extra growl out of the intake I've been thinking about removing the #10 assembly on the air intake diagram - the baffle that drops below the airbox. I have removed the power slot or w/e and the intake piece for in front and have only got a modest increase in volume. My K&N filter should be in soon.

Is it worth my time to remove this baffle? Have any of you(who have done it) notice a difference?

Please let me know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Couldn't hurt. It'll just make it a little louder. I'm surprised somebidy hasn't replaced their '45 intake tube with a smooth pipe like the '35ers do with the Z-tube; I think it has resonators as well and getting rid of those should be worth a few ponies.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
To be honest, best way to find out is to have the car to the race track and run it before and after mod, never know! might get some supprises (happened to me once), if you think this is not necessary then maybe it is, I don't think it really matter in everyday driving... With this mod, we can only see differences in just about a nano of sec. in 1/4 mile.
Good luck with your experiement and remmeber...we love supprises. :p

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
isn't the baffle left of the air box (atop the fan)? what about just removing it leaving the opening left of the air box or simply cutting some openings on top of the baffle? Debris will still be picked up by filter. My brother did this to his Xtera (removal process) and he noticed an increase in performance.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
finsfx said:
isn't the baffle left of the air box (atop the fan)? what about just removing it leaving the opening left of the air box or simply cutting some openings on top of the baffle? Debris will still be picked up by filter. My brother did this to his Xtera (removal process) and he noticed an increase in performance.
Have Pix to share with us? Post them all up ppl, we want to see them and learn about them.
Again, there is soooo many ways that we can come up with ... but which that really works? only 1 way to find out, right? :p
PS: Butt-dyno is fun but sometimes it's not very accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
or is the 'baffle' i'm referring to actually the resonator?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
finsfx said:
or is the 'baffle' i'm referring to actually the resonator?
If you're referring to the large structure to the left of the airbox, centered behind the grill, it is neither; that's the intake scoop itself.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
all of the resonators look like plastic bottles or flasks that sit vertically (one up front under the intake box and one under the intake tube itself)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Yesterday,I removed the air box on the intake in front of the MAF,and installed a K&Ncone in front of the cold air duct.did not change the tube back to the plenum(which has 1 or 2 baffles underneath).The box is huge,but not as big as the 35. The sound increase is acceptable,but the rush above 3000 is great.We had rain,yesterday and today and will test better Wednesday to see if I will do the tube(probably,you know me)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Yesterday,I removed the air box on the intake in front of the MAF,and installed a K&Ncone in front of the cold air duct.did not change the tube back to the plenum(which has 1 or 2 baffles underneath).The box is huge,but not as big as the 35. The sound increase is acceptable,but the rush above 3000 is great.We had rain,yesterday and today and will test better Wednesday to see if I will do the tube(probably,you know me)
Pix Pix Pix

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
2Fast4U said:
brnjugfx45 said:
I removed the air box on the intake in front of the MAF and installed a K&N cone in front of the cold air duct.
Pix Pix Pix
Amen- 'cause I can't picture what you did off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
What a visual world we have become :twisted:

Look at the Paddock,what I did not realize is the location of the MAF next to the air box(Paddock moved it back to the plenum,which may have been part of their problem).My guy(thanks Piniti)fabricated a mount off the MAF removed the box,which is more down than across and put the filter right in the path of the air flowing in the tube behind the radiator top(it is not enclosed nor do I think that is worth spit once moving)...ps this air box even has a drip bottle(maybe the 35 too)which is why that hole is there on the bottom.
May do a bottom up air flow(no vacuum cleaner stuff,but a scoop) as well as straight pipe to plenum...simply playing with this!

It is still raining and my back is aching..I will do pics soon!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I have asked Sweet for some help getting the pics up,but I wanted to comment before I ran out.The Stillen and JWT keep the MAF in the stock location while Injen and Paddock move it.

My limited experience with fab CAI,we always kept the MAF in the stock location(they are very sensitive to smooth airflow(please note that one of the Houston crowd tested w,w/o filter and the car was slower w/o.Air is turbulent and less easy to read flow.By putting the MAF back near the throttle body may have created unnessary turbulence.Additionally.MAF mounted to frame and not motor in stock location(less vibration)than when mounted to motor.

We may scoff at the factorires from time to time(self included)but some things have reasons! :idea:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Major difference as compared to STOCK >
Looks more like a CUSTOM JWT set-up, but for a 45. Gets Air both from in Front & also blown in on the Side. :D All that's left is the 2Fast4U Elbow!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Did it!3" pipe coming off the lower spoiler/valence at about a 45 degree angle to right beside/under the new filter..Pictures to follow.No 90degree bend.Will cover the intake with headlight screen to protect small children and animals.Intake is now fed from both sides

Left shop and headed out on 222N from ramp in 3rd..Moved through traffic with throttle on floor ,looked down to check tach for shift6500 into fourth and figured I should check MPH..a hair under 120.
No fall off in thrust or pull,which is what a CAI show feel like
Big smile and happy ECU

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The tube runs from lower valence to under filter and then bells out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
top down view

Attachments