Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I noticed that tire air pressure of one of the tires was lower than others by 3lb. Dealer refilled it and they were all at 34lb.

This morning I checked the pressure sensor screen and that same tire(on the screen the bottom one.) low again at 31lb. :(

I would probably swing by at a local tire shop but before that do youguys know which tire's air pressure that bottom sensor's indicating? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
The sensors aren't keyed to any particular position; that's why it doesn't indicate position on the screen (plus the sensors change position when you rotate tires). You'll have to check them the old fashioned way to see which one it is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
the sensor changes its position on the screen as you drive also... I've noticed this when I had my tire patched and the SM filled one to 43lb. As I was driving back to deflate the tire, the location on the screen changed couple of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MustGoFastR said:
The sensors aren't keyed to any particular position; that's why it doesn't indicate position on the screen (plus the sensors change position when you rotate tires). You'll have to check them the old fashioned way to see which one it is.
Well, then I probably need to have the shop check all tires. Dealer said it would be under warranty if it's rim or tire itself problem but I rather want to take it to the tire shop than this money sucking dealer. :evil:

Thanks, gentlemen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
shong43826 said:
the sensor changes its position on the screen as you drive also... I've noticed this when I had my tire patched and the SM filled one to 43lb. As I was driving back to deflate the tire, the location on the screen changed couple of time.
That's a new one on me. I haven't noticed this happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Not much good to have a warning system if it can't remember which one is going flat. I can see some advantage to this feature of the Tech Pkg. but from what I been reading about you all's warning systems is that there is plenty room for improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
FXcellent said:
Not much good to have a warning system if it can't remember which one is going flat. I can see some advantage to this feature of the Tech Pkg. but from what I been reading about you all's warning systems is that there is plenty room for improvement.
True; I think the Q specifies which one is in which location. This is the cheaper version from the 350Z. It's good for general monitoring and it'll alert you if there's a problem, but you still need a gauge to manually check the tires to identify which one you're looking for if one is low/high. I always check and adjust my pressures with a gauge and just use the system to monitor general tire pressure health.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Had a 02 Q45 before getting my FX. The tire pressure monitor setup is the same as the FX, ie you can't tell tire location. Must be the only Nissan/Infiniti offering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
riverrick said:
Had a 02 Q45 before getting my FX. The tire pressure monitor setup is the same as the FX, ie you can't tell tire location. Must be the only Nissan/Infiniti offering.
Maybe a change for '03? I could have sworn I've seen where the Q tells the locations, but could be wrong. Doesn't really matter, as it doesn't do us any good, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The manager at Discount Tire said only one tire may loose air more than others due to the weather(high 62 today). I've never heard about it before. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Im loosing about ~10lbs a week in one tire. I need to check it for a possible nail. I'll be taking it to Discount for repair...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
So did they check it or not? If it was low, re-filled and low again, you likely have a small leak either somewhere around the bead or from a small nail stuck in the tire or something. As for the temp, cold air is more dense (takes up less space), so when you go from warm weather to cold, all of your tires should read a bit low, so it's always a good idea to check and top them off when the weather turns colder. There's no reason one would drop pressure over the others b/c of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Is loss of tire pressure common w/the 20s? I have to reinflate all 4 every few months. Every time I check (don't have tech pkg/tire monitors) they're all very low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
particlefx said:
I generally need to add 1 or 2 lbs of pressure every 3 to 4 months. That seems about average for most any size car tire I've ever owned.
Ditto here; my FX is one month old and the tire pressure is more or less the same as I initially set them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
shong43826 said:
depending on when you check your pressure, you are going to have different pressure in your tires.

Mine goes up and down anywhere from 29 to 34.
That's because as the tires warm up (as you drive), so does the air in them, which expands and your pressures go up. You should always check and fill your tires when they're cold. 29 is too low for cold pressure. I keep mine at 33 psi cold and when warmed up, they are 35-36 psi.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top