Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Hrag,

I checked out the hitch that you have here as well as a couple of others. They all have that large horizontal bar that the receiver is welded to. That bar sits further to the rear than I liked. From the rear, you see a healthy helping of that bar and the attached receiver. The OEM hitch is somewhat hidden and tucked away. I think that it just looks better. And remember that you will need the wiring harness as well. That extra 90 to 100 dollars may make the deal a little less appealing.

Hit the parts locator at the dealer and see where an OEM hitch is. Have it installed at a body shop. It will cost less...a lot less.

Rudi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback Rudi.

However when i called my dealer to see how much all of this will cost (OEM hitch + install). He quoted me a price of $900.
Is that normal? Or should it be less?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

The dealer knows that he has you. I got the whole thing done for about half what you were quoted. The hitch is in short supply as near as I can tell. I found a dealer who sold me the hitch and wiring harness for under $350. I had it installed for under $250 at a local body shop. Took about three and a half hours. My dealer said it would be an all day affair.
lots of shop time.

Did the dealer say he had a hitch in stock? I was placed on a waiting list. In my case the dealer is the only dealer in the state. The next nearest is 300 miles. My dealer would not offer to look around to see where the hitches were. I guess they do not make as much if they must ship one in from another dealer. I got my hitch and harness in Baton Rouge. They were great. UPS was under $50. No three month plus wait!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rudolf A Riet

Hi Rudi,

Do you know if an '06 or '07 hitch will fit an '08? I see that you have an '08, what did you install on it?

Thanks!
-Ross

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Ross,

You ask an interesting question. I did not ask when ordering the OEM hitch. I just told them that I wanted one and they sent it to me. And it fit just fine. But, I did not install it. I had it done at a body shop. They had never installed one on an fx before. They had no problem. That leads me conclude that there has been no change in the hitches. I would double check with a dealer to be certain. The OEM hitch is great and unobtrusive.

Hope that helps.

Rudi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the reply. So I found out that all FX '03-'08 models have the same frame so any year hitch should fit. Now did you go with the OEM wire harness or an after-market one? The reason I ask is b/c U-Haul is quoting me $40 vs. $90 from Infiniti...I just don't want to mess up the electrical system. Wondering if the OEM is a better unit.

Thanks!
-Ross

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Ross,

I went with the OEM harness. I got it for $75.00. But, if you can save a buck and it works and looks good, go for it. I would just be concerned the you might get some cutting and splicing to make a generic harness work.

Rudi

·
Registered
11 Posts
So U-Haul installed the '06 FX hitch on my car over the weekend and everything seems to be working...the jetski made it to the water & back home :flasingsmile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with a 3.5" drop, not sure on the length but I went with an extra long one for the bumper clearance...hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Your trailer sits level with a 3.5" drop?! My jet ski trailer points slightly downward and I have my ball mount turned upside down for additional height.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it's level w/a 3.5" drop. I'd take a picture but I'm not hooking up the trailer for another 2 weeks. It may depend on the size of your tires on your trailer & the ground clearance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts