Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still looking for some options. Obviosuly I should have got the Nav package so please spare me the "trade it in for one with Nav" comments.

I would like your thoughts on this unit. I can get this at cost though an employee discount. Just wondering if it is even worth it or if there is something better. I looked at the Tom Tom and Garmin. did not really like either.

thoughts please?

http://www.navman.com/go/usa/products/icn630/index.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was too bulky and looked funny up on the dash, it seemed to out of place in the FX. The Navman is real slim. I'm checking on pricing and once I see one up front I may get one. If you are interested I could buy 2 and pass on my employee discount. I just want to make sure I will be happy with it.

Another question. I thought I read that another fxer had navigatiopn put in and to see his old orange hvac screen in the factory location, there was a camrea that sent the image to the new screen. I wonder if we could do the opposite. Just have a general display (LCD) in the factory hole and a camera looking at the aftermarket nav and one looking at the factory Hvac screen and flip in between, this would also allow us to run quality dvd and back up cam? Just a thought. I have no idea where you would mount these displays though. I can't find any extra room anywhere.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
You are right, there is no place to put anything. I was actually thinking of taking the Tom Tom and trying to install it into the ashtray location.

There's already power there so that's helpful. From a size perspective, the TomTom unit is 4.5" wide and 3.6" tall. Width wise it will fit (ashtray looks to be ~4 7/8"), but height is just a smidgeon over 3", but it may be ok if it sticks out a little because of the funny triangular shape of the Tom Tom? In any case, as soon as I find a store near me that I can buy and return if I change my mind (i.e. Best Buy or Circuit City or Staples or soemthing) I will give it a shot.

The iCN 630 you link to looks pretty interesting and has a nice size (3.8") screen. How much does it cost? "buy it now" link times out when I click on it.

Jimsbmw is the other member you are thinking of with the re-located stock streen and the camera switch. It's an interesting idea but I think for me it would be a last resort type of tactic.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the unit in stores and ebay for around $700-$800 but the site says $999 I think. I'm hoping for $500 or less.

I like your clock idea but I think that is too low. I was thinking of mounting it on the sliding inst. cluster so I can hide the power wire. I would love to get something to fit the sunglasses holder and also become a DVD player.

I'm dreaming I guess.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Try driving with the sunglass holder down, you will see that the RVM view is almost completely obstructed... (my first thought was to put the Tom Tom device in that location) and then IMO it might be too high?

Can't win... should've gotten the TECH package!! ](*,)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I asked my dealer what it would cost now.....$10k or more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
is it even possible to see the tape deck can be separated from the main unit itself? the space the tape is sitting on looks pretty neat to install a in-dash unit equipped with Navi. and use the space under the arm rest to load the disks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
infinitiFX said:
is it even possible to see the tape deck can be separated from the main unit itself?
Unfortunately, no.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts