Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing reading in the forum, and it looks like everyone pretty much has to do pretty custom work to integrate things aftermarket in this dash.

I have a G35, and we are getting an FX soon, just debating on whether or not to shell out the $4k for the technology package. I'd like to put the Pioneer AVIC-D1 into this car, but I guess with the sliding it wouldnt work in the factory LCD space, unless it was only used as GPS and not a stereo.

I wouldn't mind doing that though, and popping the factory display down below where the clock currently resides. Yes I did see pics of the guy who did that. Then the factory stereo can still be used.

So anyway, I'm looking for ideas and comments on what the best way to do this would be. The nice thing is I can do aftermarket for half the price. Just want to see if anyone has recommendations.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the same question when I purchased my FX35AWD in March of this year. Was spending the 4K for the Technology package worth it. After thinking about it for days, I decided to go for it. My dealer had the same identical FX35AWD on the lot, one with and one without technology package. I decided to spend the 4K now and get it all, fully maxed out. I haven't regreted it at all. Actually my wife really love it as well, so it was well worth it.

While I'm sure there are feature in after-market GPS units that we don't have in the factor one, for the 4K you shell out, you get all the other gadgets as well beyond that of the GPS unit. I have no regrets with spending the additional 4K.

One feature that I thought should have been part of the Technology Package only comes with the DVD Entertainment Package, called the Lane Departure Warning System. I thought it was sort of a gimmic, but it has saved me twice so far, driving home from work after pulling 22 hours.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
If you're going to do that and are willing to lose you clock you are probably better off leaving the factory controls where they are and putting a pop out like an AVIC-N1 into the clock area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Wouldn't the N1 as the face comes out hit the shifter? Seems like this car has a lot of issues upgrading. Probably just best to get it all integrated. Ugh! It would be so cool if someone actually developed a new front dash plate, and bracket for the inside, to where we could just put whatever we wanted right there! Oh well!

On my G, I can't just order the new dash plate, I had to order an AC control out of Japan that isn't integrated with the radio to put my AVIC-D1 in there. Infiniti! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.