Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
My windshield is gone and it'll cost "$$$.$$" to replace from the dealer. If you've ever replaced your windshield with an after market one? how's the clarity,quality and any differences from OEM?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
My windshield was irrepairably cracked my first week with the car :( . Our Infiniti dealer does not do this job in-house and has referred me to a mobile-installer that they vouch does excellent work. There are so many auto-glass places around that I suspect you'll be able to find at least one with good quality and reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are all cheaper than what dealer's cost but since they are not using our OEM part, my main concern is the glass's quality, did they look just like identical twin if you would put them side by side? :wink: I notice that the FX's windshield has a black border and black dots coming down to cover around the rear view mirror, etc... and plus, I just don't want my folks at HFXA know that I have a replaced windshield. :cry:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
phamgiaj said:
... and plus, I just don't want my folks at HFXA know that I have a replaced windshield. :cry:
But you just announced it to the whole world :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
phamgiaj said:
I notice that the FX's windshield has a black border and black dots coming down to cover around the rear view mirror, etc... and plus, I just don't want my folks at HFXA know that I have a replaced windshield. :cry:
FYI: When I had my BMW windshield replaced, I was concerned about loosing the black border too. However it appears most (if not all) of the non-OEM replacements come with the borders as well.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Expensive OEM windshield.

Well, most of us would think the OEM windshield will cost just around 3 digits right? WRONG, 4 digits and that's just part and local tax, what are they thinking? this is an FX not a Murcielago...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I don't have time to look it up right now, but search around FA; at least a couple people there have had their windshield replaced with aftermarket glass that was much cheaper than OEM, looked exactly trhe same, down to the little dots and was likely higher quality than the OEM piece.

BTW, what happened? I was in for my 15k service today and Sam mentioned you called asking about windshield cost.

·
Registered
338 Posts
don't forget

Always remember that you have automobile insurance which has a section for coverage for a broken/damaged windshield. remember to take advantage of this option. Our insurance already cost enough, make it work for you. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, I think black car is just not for me... my car keeps getting beat up left & right. I was on Manual/5th gear chilling and behaving :p then suddently I heard a big "bang"...I got so upset I just wanted to stop by the dealer and trade it in for the 45, almost did though I reconsidered getting a new payment with an extra 35 hourse+250lbs... Nah, it's not the end of the world and I'll be fine. From you guy's feedback I'm glad the after market will looks identical to OEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got quotes from about $350 - $600 for aftermaket depending upon whether it was an independent w/s company, or the ind w/s company subcontracted by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s done, got my windshield replaced at the price of $189+Tax, instead of having them come to me I came to them, the replacement one is very much identical and since the car still new they reuse the moding kit which could have cost extra $91, took 1 hour to install and I get a big smile back again, the shop owner and a Tech commented that I was a very picky man, Yes very picky when it comes down to what I love most, I replied. :p

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My windshield cracked Wednesday and they are coming out this week to replace...yes glass option on insurance,still a pain

·
Registered
18 Posts
Windshield

Arragh!!! Mine cracked last night! I had a chip that grew to crack due to a sudden change in weather. Called Safelite and gave me an estimate of 250. Anyone have any experiences with them?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
They did mine,but took 3 tries,small air leak that they tried to fix on car and apparentl these rarely fix if not right at first'.Finally took it to their shop and they replaced again and got it right.
Stayed on them as one of there folk said I had to

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brnjug,
Thanks for the quick reply and the information.

Contacted the dealer this morning and the SA told me it would be over a grand for the OEM glass. He recommended after market and local glass replacement shop that they deal with.

I was going to go with Safetlite but your experience with them doesn't sound too fun...

Did they give you a hard time about getting the air leak fixed?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
No very courteous,they are the glass people for my insurance Co.So they want all of us to happy at the end of the day.And they callled me to be sure I was ok with it

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
We got a big crack in ours after a rock chip quickly spread. I had mine done at the dealer, using their own glass company. It was all done under insurance, and with OEM glass. I did not want any aftermarket glass, as it is usually very wavy. The dealer actually did some warranty work while it was there, and got a loaner car too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have Safelite windshield now and I dont see any differences between this and OEM. They did a great job and it costs $380 installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It would be no different in normal driving condition between OEM and aftermarket. Will it be different when a bad car accident happens? I mean " to protect us"
:?:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I believe there are federal standards for glass and crash safety.To repeat,they are my insurance Co's glass replacer,so I assume they meet those standards and probably have that little mark on the glass
Even the dealer uses an outside company,but charges list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts