Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I would like to introduce myself.I am a car audio professional in the NYC region.

We carry all the top quality brands such as Pioneer, Eclipse, Blaupunkt, MTX, MB Quart, Kicker, Viper, Directed, Audiovox and many others.

We are best known for our custom Video/Audio installations.

I have joined a forum to try to assist fellow car owners. I am very busy, but I will try to answer as many questions as I can. Also, if anyone is having trouble finding a product in their area let me know and I will try to assist.

If you ever need a price on an item that we may carry, please contact me via email.

Nice to be aboard and I am here to help.

We currently specialize in FACTORY NAVIGATION TO VIDEO CONVERSIONS.

Anyone want to get a factory navigation to video conversion I do them for $700 installed. So you can enjoy both navigation and video on the same screen.
whats included:
1 Navigation to Video module
2 FM modulator or AUX inputs for sound
3 Audiovox or Pioneer DVD player

Pictures of G35 conversion available for now http://public.fotki.com/vsokolov/

Auxilary audio inputs available.

Also a back-up camera or a video switcher can be added.

no dvd player deduct $200. Thats if you have your own dvd player or want to use ps2 or xbox as a video source.

If you have more questions PM or E-mail me [email protected]

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
As you suggested elsewhere, this doesn't appear to be a big savings over the AV Electronics unit. Can you give more info on the unit itself?

-Does it have a TV tuner, an internal signal booster (our stock DVD player's signal isn't strong enough to run two screens simultaneously, so the AV-E unit has a built in booster and drives our stock rear screen as well as the nav screen)?
-Can you post a picture of the unit?
-What is the cost of the unit if you want to self install?
-How many wires are required to be cut/spliced for the install?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a big savings between av unit and my unit

my unit costs $250 for self installation plus add $ 40 for extra video amplifier, and you only have to cut 4 wires. I didn't take pictures of the new unit , it's smaller than what I used to have and better.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Should have stated that price in the first post instead of a full package price with a DVD player we don't need. The AV unit only requires four wires to be cut as well.

-How many inputs/outputs does it have?
-How much space and what kind of wiring is required for the optional video amp that we would need?
-how is the remote and does it have an IR eye that can be located anywhere?
-Does it have a TV tuner? Antennas?

The AV-Electronics unit has been proven and there is lots of info. and lots of pics so I think people would want a bit more before jumping into something else. There have been other units to pop up in the past that claimed to be what we need for less and turned out not to be the case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has only one input, 95 percent of installations that I have performed didn't require more than one input, thats why if you need you can buy separate av switcher for extra $60, or if you just need to use more than one screen from one dvd player just add $40 for video amplifier.

You dont need much space its falt and little, all it needs is ground and power.

there is no remote unless you buy extra av switcher for $60

and there is no usless tv tuner with which you can only receive 4 channels, if you stand in one spot ofcourse

IF FIVE PEOPLE WILL WANT TO BUY THEM, I WILL SELL THEM AT $200 EACH. LET ME KNOW AT [email protected]

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ok, I guess with only one input and no TV tuner, I can see no need for a remote. Couple more questions/comments:

-How do you switch between the nav screen and DVD picture?
-How do you turn the unit on (is it powered at all times the car is on or do you have to manually turn it on each time you start?)
-does the unit have to be on for it to pass the stock navigation screen signals through?
-Does it have back-up camera capability?

As for the TV tuner, it depends on where you live and what you will accept. I am in Houston and with the optional amplified TV antenna AV-E. offers, reception is pretty good even while moving and there are several local stations.

Many people have been searching for a simpler unit such as this, though, so if it works for us, there may be interested parties.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you switch between navi unit and video thru toggle switch

it gets powered on everytime you start the car

Yes

back-up camera capability available thru optional video switcher

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
OK, thanks for the info; that should help everyone out greatly.

The only potential downside I can see is that the unit has to be opreational for the nav screen signals to pass through. If the unit were to happen to fail, you'd be screwed. The AV-E unit uses a passive pass through of the nav signals, so the unit does not have to be on and in case of failure, you lose none of your stock screen functions. Granted, it IS kind of a pain to pull out the remote and turn it on each time you start the car (not that big of a deal, I guess), but just an FYI to people considering the unit as to whether or not that safegaurd is worth it to them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually this unit was tested for 4 month, before production on special computers so I can guarantee you 100% that unit wont fail within next 3-4 years

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
While a failure is likely a minor risk, it IS a risk nonetheless, so it should at least be known to prospective buyers what the consequense is (if the unit fails, your nav screen is dead until it is fixed, replaced or you re-wire it to stock spec behind the screen). It's also impossible for you to guarantee 100% that any given unit will not fail within such and such a time period; nothing is foolproof and sh!t happens. What kind of warranty do you offer with the unit?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
OK, guys, I've been e-mailing vsokolov for more info. and I belive I have a guinea pig to try out this system: My sales manager! He want's me to install it in the QX56 he just got for his wife (he drives an FX). Anyway, I showed him the options (AV-E and vsokolov's), we talked about it and he believes he'd like to give this one a try.

Here is the added info I got from vsokolov (for the rest, read above):

For this box to work for us (adding video from our stock MES to the nav screen), we need the $250 converter box and the $40 signal booster. That's a total of $290 payable via Paypal and no shipping charge. There is also a $60 video switcher available that allows more inputs and for you to be able to view multiple signals on different screens for those interested in that. He provides a two year warranty against defects.

Here's how it's supposed to work: First, you cut the video wire coming out of the DVD player (just like you do with the the nav-tv), and run the video signal into the signal booster. The booster has 4 outputs. One of these you run back to the rear screen, one you run into the nav converter box, and this leaves two for additional screens if you want (my sales manager wants to add a couple of headrest monitors). From the nav converter box, it runs up and splices in behind the nav screen just like the AV-E unit does. The box has one RCA input, one RGB output, one power and one ground wire.

Here are the differences between how this system (we'll call it the Vsok unit for simplicity) works vs. the AV-E Nav-TV:

-Vsok: always on simply video converter. This means that with power upon startup and no TV tuner, etc., there is no need a remote/IR eye and you don't have to physically turn it on each time you want to use it; just switch back and forth between the nav screen and DVD via the toggle.

-Nav-TV: has remote to control other features and TV tuner, and you have to turn it on via the remote each time you want to use it. This also means that since the DVD signal is running through the box and amplified internally before being sent to both the rear and nav screens, that the unit has to be on just to have the rear function even if you don't want to use it up front. This unit also has more wires to run.

SO, given the specifics, this unit looks to be a good deal for those that want the simplicity of just getting the DVD signal up front for the least money. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks for the update Steve! I'm interested in seeing how his unit works out before making a decision. :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Got dimensions for the boxes: converter box is 6"x4"x2", video amp is 8"x4"x2".

I'll be talking to my sales manager this Sat (hopefully he'll swing by the meet) and give him the go-ahead to order. If I'm lucky, I'll get to do the work in their shop and have access to the manual for the QX. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Still waiting on my guy to order the parts. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Now the big quesstion, if I get this converter and add a OEM color screen to my non tech orange one can I use it with the original screen controls that shows the temp and cd, add dvd, and adapt a rear view camera system to it. Nav is not THAT important to me right now.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Now the big quesstion, if I get this converter and add a OEM color screen to my non tech orange one can I use it with the original screen controls that shows the temp and cd, add dvd, and adapt a rear view camera system to it. Nav is not THAT important to me right now.

Thanks

Jim
No. You'd have to have a separate screen altogether.

As for updates, I haven't heard anything yet. I'll try to swing by today or tomorrow and see if he's still planning to go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess the next thing to do is to start saving for a seperate screen.

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts