Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who change their own oil - have you noticed that using the recommended 5.0 quarts doesn't bring the oil level up to full on the dip stick? Maybe it's just me or the retarded dipstick design but I seem to need about 5.3 quarts of oil. How much oil does everyone use?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I always buy the 1 gallon (5 quarts) container and pour that in fully. That brings it up to the top, You probably wont be able to measure it right away since it has to seep into the oil sump before you get a accurate reading. You dont really wanna over fill otherwise you'll get engine vibration like some other's have reported and posted about.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
1 gallon is 4 quarts bro...

·
Registered
363 Posts
opps...u'r right. I get the 5 quarts container they sell at walmart and other places.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
anyone take there FX to get it done at a shop and they tell you , you need 6 quarts? Once I took it to PEPboys (special pricing w/ MB1) and they kept telling me I need 6 quarts.

I think these places should get sued for fraud.

(the service guy kept pointing to his screen .... it said it takes 6 quarts. dumb ass)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 35 and it took exactly 5 quarts (including filter.) I too usually by the 5-quart container of Mobil 1 at Walmart; sometimes it's even on sale.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I also wanted to mention that using the longer filter would take a little more oil too. And of course I meant I BUY mine at Walmart, not BY.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
It uses 5 qts. Walmart 5 qt. jug FTW, $22! After I did mine I thought I didn't have enough, however I went upstairs and about 15 minutes later I checked it and it was smack in the middle. You don't get an accurate reading until it has all settled. I used the shorter M1 filter (M1-108) also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
about the dipstick i just checked mine...and i dont know if it just me or the dipstick, but i can never get a good reading..anyways mine is a little lower than midway is that okay?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
If you need a little extra oil for your car and use synthetics, Mobil 1 now is also packaged in 5.1qt jugs, too (4.83l). Don't know why they did that, but, a lot of new Ford products, for example, take just over 5 quarts. I've never seen the 5.1 packaging at Wal-Mart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts