Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the new BMW active steer and it sound really cool. I know we have the speed sensitive steer in our FX. My question is what is the different between the two?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You sure? I don't think the FX has speed sensitive steering. If it does, it isn't anywhere near as prominent as it is in the G35c and 350Z.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, but I meant that the FX have Fast ratio steering. So, what is the different between Fast ratio steering and Active steering? Anyone?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think we are confusing some terms here.

Speed sensitive steering as you put it is a common thing - it varies the amount of power steering boost effect, usually in an inverse ratio to engine speed - the higher the RPMs, the lower the boost. That makes steering easy at parking lot speeds, more stable on the freeway at elevated speeds.

Fast ratio steering is just that - a fast ratio, in that fewer turns of the steering wheel result in more turning. The FX has a VERY fast steering ratio, very subtle movements of the wheel are all that's required to turn the FX.

BMWs Active Steering - as I understand it - varies the ratio of the steering box to suit the situation. At slow parking lot speeds, it uses a faster ratio for make maneuvering easier. At elevated speeds, it slows down the ratio to make the vehicle more stable. I have no idea how BMW does it, but this is what I understand the BMW Active Steering to be.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
From the reviews I've read, this active steering is anoying to get used to. Dunno about you guys, but I never had any trouble manuvering any given car with a set steering rate. Too many **** gadgets...

·
Registered
411 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
From the reviews I've read, this active steering is anoying to get used to. Dunno about you guys, but I never had any trouble manuvering any given car with a set steering rate. Too many **** gadgets...
Bingo. Seems that BMW has been trying out all kinds of new technology lately, rather than focusing on the solid mechanical goodness that made them so popular. Ask anyone about iDrive... Now this Active Steering. :roll:

Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
if it is what i think it is, then i actually heard it's hard to get used to at first, but when u do u can steer a lot better...what i heard of course, it's not difficult to imagine this technology in the vehicles of the future.......

·
Registered
411 Posts
contaygious said:
if it is what i think it is, then i actually heard it's hard to get used to at first, but when u do u can steer a lot better...what i heard of course, it's not difficult to imagine this technology in the vehicles of the future.......
The future is drive-by-wire. And with DBW systems, you can have all kinds of variable effort controls - steering, brakes, throttle, etc. It's all ones, zeros, and electric motors at that point. Program it to behave however you want.

Don't the new SLs have brake-by-wire systems? I know lots of cars have had DBW throttles for years now... Steering is just the next step.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
We don't have Speed Sensetive Steering? My 97 Avalon has it. Sheesh. :?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
BigMatt said:
Don't the new SLs have brake-by-wire systems?
Yes, and the car mags have been complaining for a couple years that MB still hasn't gotten it right and that it just doesn't feel as communicative as the good 'ole fashioned kind.

·
Registered
411 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
BigMatt said:
Don't the new SLs have brake-by-wire systems?
Yes, and the car mags have been complaining for a couple years that MB still hasn't gotten it right and that it just doesn't feel as communicative as the good 'ole fashioned kind.
Makes sense, since the brake pedal isn't actually connected to anything other than an electronic sensor.

I bet things get better. Military aircraft have been fly-by-wire for a while now, and isn't the new A380 the first civilian aircraft to be fully fly-by-wire?

Matthew

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yea

I own a 2003 SL 500 and I gotta tell you, the Brake-By-Wire takes a bit to get used to, but it's not so bad, only while driving in the city. I guess a normal brake system would have been better, but nothing is perfect...

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Infiniti said:
REAR ACTIVE STEER
In the Infiniti M Sport, the rear wheels do more than supply the power. Turn the vehicle into a curve and they are now active participants in the delivery of crisp handling. Measuring steering input as well as vehicle speed, this system alters the angle of the rear wheels, helping the vehicle track more quickly and precisely.
So, is this the answer?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Or is Infiniti's "Rear Active Steer" just another name for "Super HICAS" rear wheel steering as used by early 90s 300ZXs and 240SXs?

Everything old is new again.

Matthew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.