Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy an FX35 AWD with Tour, Sport, and Tech. Am considering Black/Black (wife strongly in favor) but can get slightly better deal and easier availablility (already on the lot) of Diamond Graphite/Black. My concerns with Black/Black regard the effort required to keep it looking clean (dirt, snow, showing every scratch and wipe mark), the heat in summer, and the lack of contrast between exterior and interior colors. I applaud everyone's efforts as forum members clearly pride themselves on keeping their cars in top form, however, I'm not the kind to do the Zaino shine with any regularity and will depend on carwash cleaning of dubious frequency. While color choice is obviously mostly a matter of opinion, I am interested in yours, especially with regards to whether - in retrospect - Black/Black was a worthwhile choice by those who made it and whether DG/Black clearly takes less maintenance. I apologize for the laziness implied by my non-Zaino persona, but one must be honest with oneself before such a major purchase. Thanks in a advance for the comments.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love black cars and have owned my share of them. IMO nothing looks better than a clean shiny black machine; however as I get older, I have less energy or desire to fuss over my vehicles. I remember the way I used to attend to small stone chips, scuff marks, water marks etc. on my black vehicles -- used to stress me out. My previous SUV was silver and I loved the low maintenance. It looked clean and shiny with minimal effort. My FX45 is DG and I love the color. Again it looks clean and shiny with minimal effort. I used to wash my black vehicles on average once a week, I currently wash my FX about once a month and am sure it looks great most times.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey,

I have the DG/black (aka Silverstone in Canada). Got the car back in November, so this is the first winter it's gone through. A messy one at that. Unless it's really caked on mud and salt, the car looks good and hides dirt well.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a D/G w/graphite interior. It will definitely be less work than a black exterior. D/G is actually pretty good at hiding dirt.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If I had to do it all over definitly D/G with bl int.. not even a thought.
If this is not going to be a every day car than go for the black..
Phil

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have the Diamond Graphite and like it alot. - you wont go wrong with it. I will say that it shows dirt also. Its not like if you avoid Black your dirty car days over.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with everyone else and think DG is the way to go. Absolutely less maintenance. I had a silver RX330 before but didn't want another car that light and I've always loved black - I thought the D/G was a great compromise.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Dudes, you all gettin' it wrong. LC is the way to go! 8)

Think about it. L i q u i d...... C o p p e r...... Hhhmmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used to own a black car and it was a pain to keep in clean. I live around Chicago where it rains, snows, and blows on a daily basis. If you are a "neat-freak" and like a nice and clean car, don't get black unless you plan on cleaning it at least once a week.
My $0.02...
Kris

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm on my second black bimmer; can't beat the looks of a black vehicle. My first one had a black interior, and it got really really really hot inside! (I put a thermometer inside once on a 97 degree day and it got up to 145 inside!) I opted for a lighter interior this time around, and it's way cooler. But black exteriors are a pain to keep clean -- and we don't even get much rain here. Black is tolerable on the car -- it's a convertable, and has a lot less sheetmetal to scrub. But on something you need to stand on a footstool to clean, it would be a pain. And if you park outside, it will be dirty within a day or two of washing it. We opted for a silver FX and love it. Looks great, and dirt doesn't show nearly as much. (We would have gotten DG, but it was the end of the year and none were available.)

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Piniti, where are you? We're gettin' beat up here!

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are just so many silver/dg colored cars on the road, nothing really stands out in that color. I went with Black because I liked the look of that big chrome grill against the black. It also matches the back hatch much better, that really should have been a painted part to match the rest of the vehicle. I prev car was silver, from a distance silver hides the dirt, up close it make the paint look very very dull. I find the same with black, that from a distance it also doesn't show the dirt and everyday haze. I wash it about every other week, except in winter where its once a month. No issues.
I think every car has its color, and for the FX its either Black or LC imho. I tend to get the lighter colors, and even surprised myself as I was walking down the row of colors that the black really stood out and I grabbed it. The vehicle is too big to carry the silver/dg color classy enough, it washes into all the other suv's and minivans that way.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
gratefulmed said:
My concerns with Black/Black regard the effort required to keep it looking clean (dirt, snow, showing every scratch and wipe mark), the heat in summer, and the lack of contrast between exterior and interior colors. I'm not the kind to do the Zaino shine with any regularity and will depend on carwash cleaning of dubious frequency. I apologize for the laziness implied by my non-Zaino persona, but one must be honest with oneself before such a major purchase. Thanks in a advance for the comments.
Since You've already been Honest with yourself and us also, you've just answered your own question. DON'T GET BLACK! :roll: It's NOT for you.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Black looks great if you wash it every day. I had DG and loved it. I washed it at least once a week, ususally twice just because I want my cars clean all the time. Black would drive me crazy unless it is clean all the time. If you want Black just hit the touchless on the way home every day. :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
A Liquid Copper FX is outstanding

Not to Knock the Black and Grey owners but those are not colors.

They look good on the FX but they also look good on every other car that you see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If I bought the FX today, black would still be my color of choice. I am not a neat freak though... I wash the FX on average maybe once a month. Sure it get's dirty after snow or rain, but I can't see it when I am driving it :) Waxed it once before winter.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
That's just blasphemy! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Don't get scared off by the black. get a california car duster and some zaino and lxr and it's not hard to keep clean at all if you just dust it off every night. I have not washed my car as second time yet and it looks as good as new. it even rained too, no biggie.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been a fan of silver cars for a long time now as they are a lot easier to clean. Black does look mean, but way too much maintenance for me (especially with New England winters). HATE the white or gold, gold cars remind me of rental cars. If I was to do it over again, I'd definetly go with the graphite, it's really grown on me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.