Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so nice to meet all of you. I have posted this on some other forums I joined, so if you are also on those, forgive me - I don't usually do that, but I need to know by tomorrow when I'm going to buy it.

I'm a car guy and I'm not afraid of work. That being said the most engine work I've done is a few timing belts and chains, and yanking out balance shafts to make the engine rev faster (Commonly done for the Dodge SRT-4). I've been wrenching on cars for about 18 years now.

What I'm ultimately trying to find out is if the v8 will last a long time if it is currently blowing bluish smoke on startup and revs, and uses a lot of oil. I did read the oil consumption thread below, but it has been a while and although there was some speculation, it seemed like only one person posted back that the seafoam worked.

Here's all the details:

2003 FX45 with 115,000 miles.

3 owners: One had it for 12 years, other had it for 3, and the current owner only has had it for 4 months.

Why selling: He's in the military and needs to move. I believe him, I can tell he's in the military.

Maintenance: Current owner does his own maintenance. He has a few really nice cars including a M3. He talks like he knows what he's doing. He put a flowmaster exhaust on it.

Engine condition: It looks really nice under the hood. It's not detailed, but not dirty. The perfect amount of dust so you could see if there are any leaks. None found.

Engine sounds good. Like a sewing machine. No ticks, vibrations, knocks or anything. Just a good sized v8 happily idling. Revs sound nice. It did have either a stumble or bark on a rev, but it didn't stall.

Overall condition: Seems like the guy really takes good care of it. Has the cracked dash and the driver's seat fore/aft problem, but everything else is very clean, looks great.

When the guy started the engine, I looked at the exhaust tips. It started up and had some bluish smoke indicating either worn valve seals or blowby. I am pretty sure it's the latter because although the blue smoke went away for the most part, I could smell the oil burning by the tips. I had the guy rev it a few times. More blue smoke. More than the idle. My buddy that went with me said it looked worse than the guy that posted the video in that thread when if first started, but it was nowhere near as bad when giving it some gas.

After that, I checked the oil. It was barely on the stick. Well below "Low". The owner was genuinely shocked. He actually didn't want to go on a test drive until he put more oil in it. I asked him when he did the oil change, and he said it was a while ago. He's only had the car since april, and has only put about 5,000 miles on it, so I have to assume that would be best case. I asked him if he's added anything since the oil change, and he said he did about 1000 miles ago.

We agreed to do the test drive tomorrow so he could put more oil in and he was in a hurry. So tomorrow I plan on doing the test drive, maybe see how bad the exhaust looks on a load so to speak. But tomorrow after the text drive is where I'll either buy it or walk.

So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. The truth is, this is nicer than another FX45 I looked at, and nothing else is in my budget. Spending more money won't guarantee a better engine either because I really think this car has been taken care of because the 2 previous owners kept it for a long time. Did this guy pull holeshots at every light? Maybe. I really like it and want to get it, but just want to make sure the engine is up for another 100k miles. I don't put a lot of miles on cars, maybe 10k a year, but I plan to keep this a long time.

I don't mind if she drinks some oil now and then. I don't mind doing some seafoam treatments, changing PCV valves, and even using a catch can if it will help. I don't mind if she blows blue smoke. I just don't want it to become a 2-cycle engine LOL. Mostly, I want to make sure this isn't the beginning of total engine failure (Obvious so long as I kept the maintenance and oil current).

Thanks guys. Looking forward to hanging out with y'all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The earlier versions of the Fx45 are known for the high oil consumption and as you say the blue smoke provides indication of possibly there seals being dry, and the oil being mixed with fuel and being burned.

As far as deciding as to whether or not to purchase it that is your call, you know it burns oil.

Is it likely this issue become a bigger issue having to do some additional work? Most likely.

Consider the engine is 15 years old and having 115k miles will tell you that:
1. Engine has been replaced previously
2. It has not been used, or.
3. Options 1 and 2 (or something else)

Does it have any recalls ir something in the CarFax?

BTW, invest the $40 on getting a carfax if you dont have one already. People are most time well intentioned other times they will lie - almost bought a guy in a very nice neighborhood and a fancy HUGE house

“This is a very well taken care vehicle, it was my mom’s and this vehicle was to big for her - I’ve had the car for a little over 2 years now, there are no issues, yada yada, yada...”. Bought the CarFax: vehicle was in an accident a little over 1 year ago and was declared total loss by insurance. When I asked him what was that about his answer “that is strange” “but how... I did not know this thing existed”

I’m not saying this is the case, but it will give you sone visibility if there are any recalls done/pending on the vehicle.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having bought an E36 M3 with oil burning issues, and then having replaced the motor, I would say walk away from this one. Seafoam ain't gonna help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quite a few posts about the FX45 oil consumption. On start up it is not necessarily a problem, but smoking when warm is not a good sign.

A concern would be that if the oil level has dropped very low at some stage there could be excess wear. Likewise it is not unknown for a vendor to use thicker oil to mask the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Along these lines.. My FX45 is running and doing well, doesn't smoke any blues etc, 77K well cared for miles on the clock. BUT... Eats about a quart every 2-3K miles...

Is this just par for the course, or is it on its way to degradation too? Other than this the car is solid and reasonably Flawless !

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the same boat as the person that was selling the car. My 2006 FX 45 has smoke at start up and my husband and I checked the oil yesterday and were surprised to find that the oil was super low. I am the second owner and have owned if for the last 11 years. I take very good care of my FX, no motor replacement as mentioned by other poster. I have concerns that the oil changers aren’t adding the correct quarts of oil which could start me out low already. I am getting the oil changed today and will make sure it gets the entire 6 quarts for my V8. Although it smokes it is still very fast and rides great.... I am holding out for hopefully the next version of this vehicle beyond the QX70 ...hoping it looks similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts