61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
jdTr4d3r said:
u serious?
yes

More details!
Well, when I was last home a month ago I mowed the lawn and noticed that I needed gas. I didn't have time before I had to go away so I just left it. When I got back home Friday night I decided to go get gas. I got in my FX with the empty 5-gallon jug, drove to the nearest Exxon, and filled it up with 5 gallons of 93. I got up yesterday morning, filled the lawn mower with the 93, and it only took me an hour to mow the lawn. Normally it takes me 2 hours to mow but I guess because of the premium fuel in the tank, I did it in half the time. Amazing!

Have you ever checked the dictionary to see if the word gullible actually exists?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Without Premium, 1.21 Gigawatts is unachievable.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Great Scott!

Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do not use 87 octane in your engine. It will cause a lot of carbon build-up on your pistons and plugs. You will also have less power and mpg's due to the knock sensors retarding your engine timing. Using a low grade gas will cost you more money than what you think you are saving by not using premium gas. Example: Engine rebuild and more trips to the pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with the group using premium. I figure if you drive a higher end vehicle, why not drive that higher end vehicle with the higher end gasoline. Especially if it recommends it. Using anything else other than premium seems idiotic to me, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who are just like me and truly appreciate their infiniti FX35 DO NOT EAT NOR DRINK ANYTHING in their baby! If you look at the gas door, it probably says the same as mine, "requires premium fuel"! Not, premium fuel recommended! But just out of my own curiosity, does puting racing fuel in it make any difference? Im guessing that without any fuel management systems or engine racing components it doesnt make any difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bringing up old thread....
So the 2003-2005 models(fx35)..., Premium gas recommended...
2006+ models, Premium gas is required....

What does the gas cap say? I'm asking because I'm considering one....
or maybe an EX35....
I just don't feel these cars really need it....
I get the required, ones...but on recommended?....In my x5, it said "required", same as my mdx....

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
And the old answer will be repeated... If you can't afford premium gas, you shouldn't buy a car that requires it... The FX CAN take regular, but you might as well chain a weight to the back of it as you're not allowing the engine to take full advantage of it's potential... AND you could potentially damage the engine as well... With it out of warranty, have fun fixing the engine should you experience knock...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Earlier posts explain how the computer retards the spark when it senses a knock. The car needs 93 octane when under wot when cruising at low throttle settings it makes much less power and needs less octane. I have driven performance cars two Corvettes and a supercharged Cobra. If I was taking a trip at highway cruse speed I always used a lower octane fuel.
When I planed to use power I upped the octane. BTW 100 octane unleaded is available.
My Fx35 is a daily driver not a track car so performance is not expected though I love to take corners as hard as safely possible. I bought my car with 40k miles on it. I now have 56k on it and have never put a drop of anything but 87 octane in it. I have put my foot into it less than 5 times in the last 1.5 years but it never knocked at wot though I must admit maybe I would have gotten a 10-15 more horsepower if I used better fuel.

That is my experience others may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Fx35 is a daily driver not a track car so performance is not expected though I love to take corners as hard as safely possible. I bought my car with 40k miles on it. I now have 56k on it and have never put a drop of anything but 87 octane in it. I have put my foot into it less than 5 times in the last 1.5 years but it never knocked at wot though I must admit maybe I would have gotten a 10-15 more horsepower if I used better fuel.

So you haven't gotten flamed here yet for using regular gas by all these users?
I agree with you, if it's only recommended why not. If it states required, than that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
So you haven't gotten flamed here yet for using regular gas by all these users?
I agree with you, if it's only recommended why not. If it states required, than that's a different story.
It's not a matter of flaming anyone... BUT if you choose to buy a PERFORMANCE SUV and then you take away some of the PERFORMANCE, then why bother? The Murano has much more creature comforts and more space inside than an FX and only requires REGULAR. It makes MUCH more sense to buy something like that over an FX if the couple dollars at the pump really mean a lot to you. And that isn't meant as a flame either.

The FX IS NOT meant for everyone. It has a small interior vs overall measurements. It has a pretty stiff suspension and much harsher ride than any other SUV. The list goes on and on. There are a lot of other SUVs out there that are more suited to more rational people that want to weigh out all the qualitative characteristics of each car.

I dunno... I kinda compare it to people with pets... I give my pets the best food I can afford. Sure I can just give them Friskies or whatever is on sale at the pet store, but I try my best to give my cats a balanced diet. That way they live longer and hopefully happier lives. So I do the same thing for my FX. Will I DEFINITELY get more life out of it if I do? Not necessarily. Will the probability go up? Yes. So I choose to spend more up front, with hopes I will spend less later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your right it isn't for everyone. I was looking for a 3rd vehicle that was different. Use it as a commuter vehicle. Now if if I was really worried about gas I should prob be looking for a honda civic.....
I was just looking to see what people's responses and feelings about the topic on "recommended" vs "required".
To each their own, but I can see using regular has no effect to some. While others will choose one over the other. But at least there is a choice. Versus MB or BMW etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Earlier posts explain how the computer retards the spark when it senses a knock. The car needs 93 octane when under wot when cruising at low throttle settings it makes much less power and needs less octane. I have driven performance cars two Corvettes and a supercharged Cobra. If I was taking a trip at highway cruse speed I always used a lower octane fuel.
When I planed to use power I upped the octane. BTW 100 octane unleaded is available.

Well its been about a year since this post. I still have not put a drop of anything higher than 87 octane in my FX.
The reply about a performance vehicle is correct. I have a few performance cars and bought the FX because if felt spotty on the test ride. I got it to cruse on long tips, as well as around town as my daily diver. If I had some sticky tires on it rather than the high mileage ones I have chosen, I would take it to a track day at our local Road Race Course. That said if I am not winding it to red line during 4, 30 minute sessions I don't need 93 octane.

PS now have 73,340 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting info.
intend to buy a 2009 fx 35 soon,
and in my present location, 93 gas isnt easily availble, was bothered about the long term effects of running the fx on 87 octane.
another oprion am considering is adding a can of octane booster to the tank at every fill up............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting info.
intend to buy a 2009 fx 35 soon,
and in my present location, 93 gas isnt easily availble, was bothered about the long term effects of running the fx on 87 octane.
another oprion am considering is adding a can of octane booster to the tank at every fill up............
Rather than octane booster I put a can of Seafoam in every 3 months to clean up the injectors as the lower end fuel does not have as many additives as the higher priced spread. Techtron also works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
75,000 mile update. Still going on 87 octane. With the lower price of gas I was tempted to up the octane but thought better of it. Not a drop of high test for 35,000 miles. I do add a can of Seafom every 6 months just to clear out the injectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I lived in Jersey City and it was not self serve, I had a guy put regular in my car. This is the track car with an aftermarket ECU (well aftermarket everything) that CANNOT take regular gas. Maybe a bit overboard but the engine still runs strong after 250k ish miles (busted odometer) and approximately 30k HARD track miles
probably way to late to contact you, bu tdid you really track you rFX? I'm going to do first track day this weekend in my 09. EBC pads up front. IM [email protected]

61 - 80 of 80 Posts