Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I have an 02 Maxima (same vq engine) that I've had since 40k miles. It is now at 215k miles and pulls strong enough to break the wheels loose from a stop (it's an auto) and practically break them loose into 2nd and the thing is bone stock. 93 octane all the while

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
If we all did the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place. I use the highest grade possible. I don't have to drive someone elses FX, so I don't care if they put carrots in the tank. Not my car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For the record, I put 91/93 octane in my own FX. I find it interesting that rental car compaines will offer cars recommending high octane gas (the FX included, while I was out in CA). I seriously doubt many renters will pay up for premium gas in a rental vehicle. Accordingly, I don't think a rental car company would want the headache of auto repairs if they rented out cars that really did require the high test stuff.

·
Registered
942 Posts
VK45DE have high compression ratios, but also have a knock sensor. I like how FX4BR put it, put whatever you want in your engine.

93 octane will be always going in mine. I'd rather not count non-material savings (okay, to me), of the cons of 87 (less hp, less efficient) and pros (cheaper) vs 93.

Sounds more like penny sense vs dollar sense to me.

If I was in a bind financially, I'd sell the FX and get a Corolla and run 87.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
codeggs said:
Gischpel said:
GixxerSteve said:
There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this issue -- what type of motor oil to use, what grade of fuel to use, how often to change the spark plugs, etc. For the type of person who is less particular about things and views a vehicle as simply a mode of transportation, they will be fine with dino oil and regular fuel....."gas is gas", as they say. But for the type of person who is discerning and considers their vehicle as more than just a way to get from point A to point B...... perhaps one could say they hold their vehicle in high regard...... they are the ones to use premium fuel and synthetic oil without a second thought. They are true enthusiasts, the true afficianados.
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
Judging from all the stuff you have added and changed on your car, you seem like a well versed and skilled car guy. Why would you go through all that trouble to improve your car, only to run a lesser grade gas? Seems a little like wearing sneakers with a tuxedo. I'm not condeming your choice, just curious why you would defy the manufacturers recommendations and take a rougue approach such as you have...
Just noticed this after it was mentioned... you've added breathing mods that will make the FX run a bit leaner... hopefully the fuel pump keeps up and the knock sensors work well because by running regular, you've increased your chances of pre-detonation... again, not a big chance but a higher chance... and again, not to beat a dead horse but PREMIUM is RECOMMENDED because in severe cases, people running regular HAVE had problems with pre-detonation... how many have actually had knock and not noticed it? Probably quite a few... how many have used regular and NEVER had any problems? Probably a lot... but with MY baby, I'm not gonna take the chance... I'll run premium in her... especially since I have breather mods AND I plan on doing the exhaust in the near future... AND because I haven't had a tune done on the car yet... I bet she'll be running quite lean once the exhaust goes on but that will all show on the before and after sheets from the tune...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
It just says 87... it doesn't mention that premium is RECOMMENDED and the maps are mostly designed for premium...

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
And I wouldn't hold Motor Trend or any other car magazine as being gospel. I've seen and met the knuckleheads at the autoshow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am certainly not holding them as being the gospel, just passing along the info supplied..I agree that it seems to run better on 93, but I guess they're saying its not a requirement..

·
Registered
314 Posts
But states it as such on the inside of the fuel door...

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 on all the premium fuel users.

To each his/her own, everyone is entitled to their own decisions at the pump, and their decisions will be met with consequences, whether those be good or bad. I personally agree with the previous comment about a person's choice in cars. If saving at the pump is so critical that one would even risk the slightest possibility of damaging their vehicle, then maybe that individual should consider driving a 4 cylinder vehicle instead of an 8 or 6 cylinder which MAY call for premium gas. I think the bigger point is that I don't know to many FX owners that walked into the Infiniti dealership and screamed "Ok I'm here to purchase a vehicle that runs on regular and is going to give me great MPG." There is a reason why luxury cars are a LUXURY. When I first started driving at age 16 and I was on a high school budget, I drove a Honda Accord, now I'm older and I love my FX, and if I need to wipe her butt with $5 extra dollars at the pump just to avoid inviting any problems, that exactly what I will do. If regular works for you, more power to you. I don't think its an argument that some are simply saying they aren't willing to take any chances, some are saying they love their car too much, and some are saying it makes them no difference either way.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
^^^ Well put!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Does premium = less carbon build up in engine?

Are there more additives in premium to help prevent this? Probably just varies by each gas station and each gas company as they can buy gas from the lowest seller.

Seeing the two VK45DE re-builds... would that sway anyone on the fence using 87 to use 91/93?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Chedman13 said:
Does premium = less carbon build up in engine?
Not sure how that would go... lower octane levels ignite sooner than higher octane levels, but higher octane has more "energy" with each ignition... lowering the octane would require the ECU to go to lower maps... theoretically that would mean less efficient combustion since the engine was designed to work with premium gas... the VK would probably just pre-detonate all the time really screwing up the engine as it REQUIRES premium... not sure what other effects would occur with the VQ other than loss of power going to the lower maps but you might be on to something...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of the VQ35's are ok on 87. The '05+ G35 MT cars require Premium. In the manual it says if you can't get premium, only get enough gas to get to a station that you can fill up with premium. The other VQ35's recommend premium for maximum performance.

The FX35 premium is recommended, so you do have an option. The 45 and 50 premium are required.

They may not be able to pull enough timing to prevent spark knock with 87.

My '06 45 pings between 3,500 and 4,500 with 93. No way would I run anything less.

And I don't let anyone drink coffee or sugary drinks in any of my cars. My wife can do that in her BMW.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I have an 02 vq that detonates something aweful with anything short of 91. Sure it's "recommended" but the car wouldn't have lasted the 210k miles and still going with 87.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Manual says you can use 91 grade which is usually sold by Sunoco or some other stations.
Runs fine on 91 and slightly less money but better on 93.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts