Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
FX4BR said:
Less particular people are probably also okay with small dings throughout the surface of the vehicle... or letting a sticky coffee spill dry in the bottom of the cup holder... or parking in the smallest parking spaces in order to make the walk to the grocery store shorter... I will never be one of these people.
Eww.....reading those things just made me cringe!! When I see some type of liquid in the bottom of my cupholder, I immediately have to find some paper towels or baby wipes to clean it out. My OCD will not let it sit like that. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Interesting oppinions here ,I too could not handle the spilled crap inside my car I get kinda anal about that and I always try to stay away from the grocery cart pilots ... :fist: , but on to the octane ? i have been running mid grade 89 oct in my 35 and i can't tell any difference in milage or power , between it and the 93 oct. I also use Seafoam every 3rd or 4th tank of fuel . to keep the injectors and such clean , but I would really like to get above the 22mpg on the interstate trips ,just seems to me these cars should do a little better than that , I traded a Ford Edge AWD that always got 25mpg during long trips. and the 35 is miles beyond the Edge in quality,ride, Both cars same hp,range and weight. maybe i'm missing something here but I tend to track the #'s and my 35 is a little weak... maybe a Cai or something else . i'm not sure... :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
When I see some type of liquid in the bottom of my cupholder, I immediately have to find some paper towels or baby wipes to clean it out. My OCD will not let it sit like that. :wink:
I don't allow drinks in my car. You want to drink something, drive your own car. I have no issues with finding sticky stuff in my cupholder

hcarter said:
I traded a Ford Edge AWD that always got 25mpg during long trips. and the 35 is miles beyond the Edge in quality,ride, Both cars same hp,range and weight. maybe i'm missing something here
You are missing something... I don't know off the top of my head and I am too lazy to look them up but I could just about GUARANTEE you that, although the Edge's HP is close to the FX, it is much more peaky on the dyno curve. The FX almost definitely has more area under the curve which means that, yes, they both might have the same peak HP (let's say 300HP) and the RPM might be different. But, when you look elsewhere on the curve, the FX would drop off to maybe 270HP 1,000RPMs in either direction of the peak but the Edge would drop off to 220HP or even 200HP in either direction. Torque is probably the same thing which is more important than HP and what, in my opinion, is going to affect gas mileage more because it's a perception of how much power you have when starting from a stop; if you feel that the torque is lower, you're going to mash the gas more to compensate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
kieranlavin said:
GixxerSteve said:
When I see some type of liquid in the bottom of my cupholder, I immediately have to find some paper towels or baby wipes to clean it out. My OCD will not let it sit like that. :wink:
I don't allow drinks in my car. You want to drink something, drive your own car. I have no issues with finding sticky stuff in my cupholder

hcarter said:
I traded a Ford Edge AWD that always got 25mpg during long trips. and the 35 is miles beyond the Edge in quality,ride, Both cars same hp,range and weight. maybe i'm missing something here
You are missing something... I don't know off the top of my head and I am too lazy to look them up but I could just about GUARANTEE you that, although the Edge's HP is close to the FX, it is much more peaky on the dyno curve. The FX almost definitely has more area under the curve which means that, yes, they both might have the same peak HP (let's say 300HP) and the RPM might be different. But, when you look elsewhere on the curve, the FX would drop off to maybe 270HP 1,000RPMs in either direction of the peak but the Edge would drop off to 220HP or even 200HP in either direction. Torque is probably the same thing which is more important than HP and what, in my opinion, is going to affect gas mileage more because it's a perception of how much power you have when starting from a stop; if you feel that the torque is lower, you're going to mash the gas more to compensate
Ok I thought I was missing something :? . That makes sense .. oh well back to the search .... Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Funny how my 50 requires premium fuel and I'm not of the mind to test anything less ;) but my sons new '12 Armada calls for regular... Adds up to quite a savings over the course of a year.

BTW, my MPG on the hiway is consistently over 20 (albeit just a little), but city? Don't get me started! ;)
---
Via Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
GgHrOeSyT said:
I am looking at an 08 FX35 and the owner said it doesnt need premium gas, and i know that it does. what are the effects on the engine from not putting premium gas in the engine?

thanks,
David
It doesn't need tlc either. Or vaccuming or oil changes or new air filters... walk away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
dislexicFXnaf said:
GgHrOeSyT said:
I am looking at an 08 FX35 and the owner said it doesnt need premium gas, and i know that it does. what are the effects on the engine from not putting premium gas in the engine?

thanks,
David
It doesn't need tlc either. Or vaccuming or oil changes or new air filters... walk away.

Yep!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I had an 06 FX35 back in the day, and always used regular! I traded it in with my milage just under 80k, and never had a single hiccup!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
396 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this issue -- what type of motor oil to use, what grade of fuel to use, how often to change the spark plugs, etc. For the type of person who is less particular about things and views a vehicle as simply a mode of transportation, they will be fine with dino oil and regular fuel....."gas is gas", as they say. But for the type of person who is discerning and considers their vehicle as more than just a way to get from point A to point B...... perhaps one could say they hold their vehicle in high regard...... they are the ones to use premium fuel and synthetic oil without a second thought. They are true enthusiasts, the true afficianados.
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Gischpel said:
GixxerSteve said:
There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this issue -- what type of motor oil to use, what grade of fuel to use, how often to change the spark plugs, etc. For the type of person who is less particular about things and views a vehicle as simply a mode of transportation, they will be fine with dino oil and regular fuel....."gas is gas", as they say. But for the type of person who is discerning and considers their vehicle as more than just a way to get from point A to point B...... perhaps one could say they hold their vehicle in high regard...... they are the ones to use premium fuel and synthetic oil without a second thought. They are true enthusiasts, the true afficianados.
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
Well you are correct about one thing, choosing an argument online is stupid. Especially about a post that I wrote which was very tactful and non-offensive. I was trying to avoid pissing some random person off and getting a comment like yours, but it looks like I did anyway.

Let me ask you this: Why do you care what I think about you using regular fuel in your FX?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Gischpel said:
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
How else don't you follow the manufacuter's recommendations, and will you disclose that when you sell the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I love how this fuel topic gets people's blood boiling, I don't see Infiniti rewarding anyone or sending out FX driver of the month awards for following manuels, manufactur recommendations, I'm sure when we've all traded our cars and don't tell them abt the door ding or any other cause for concerns. And a dealer isn't going to ask what fuel you've used for your vehicle as I personally always used regular, and went miles over a scheduled oil change. And I got a great return on my 2004, 2006, and 2010. But that's not the point.

Point is forums like this are to be objectionable vs. subjectionable. We all deal w peoples sh*t all day whether it be from employees or employers, and the forum should be a place we come to and be excited to ask a question whether it be simple, stupid, or complex. Not be told one owner is a better owner Than another, or more of an enthusiast than the next guy etc etc. We're all here to help and learn from each other. And if your that skilled at Infiniti's and feel Your knowledge is more superior and need to repremand peoples comments for not knowing answers, quit your job as you should take your talents a dealership.

Were all here to help and learn, it's why we're drawn to the site in the first place. Especially one that asks for donations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
Let me ask you this: Why do you care what I think about you using regular fuel in your FX?
Because this person knows he/she is making a bad choice and doesn't like being reminded about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Gischpel said:
GixxerSteve said:
There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this issue -- what type of motor oil to use, what grade of fuel to use, how often to change the spark plugs, etc. For the type of person who is less particular about things and views a vehicle as simply a mode of transportation, they will be fine with dino oil and regular fuel....."gas is gas", as they say. But for the type of person who is discerning and considers their vehicle as more than just a way to get from point A to point B...... perhaps one could say they hold their vehicle in high regard...... they are the ones to use premium fuel and synthetic oil without a second thought. They are true enthusiasts, the true afficianados.
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
Judging from all the stuff you have added and changed on your car, you seem like a well versed and skilled car guy. Why would you go through all that trouble to improve your car, only to run a lesser grade gas? Seems a little like wearing sneakers with a tuxedo. I'm not condeming your choice, just curious why you would defy the manufacturers recommendations and take a rougue approach such as you have...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
codeggs said:
Gischpel said:
Choosing an argument online is stupid, so I should probably have just kept my comments to myself rather than ending up here, but implying that I (or anyone else) don't hold my vehicle in high regard because I don't run premium gas is complete BS. I can agree with the bulk of your post, but know you are wrong on that point and find it insulting that you even implied it.
Judging from all the stuff you have added and changed on your car, you seem like a well versed and skilled car guy. Why would you go through all that trouble to improve your car, only to run a lesser grade gas? Seems a little like wearing sneakers with a tuxedo. I'm not condeming your choice, just curious why you would defy the manufacturers recommendations and take a rougue approach such as you have...
I came off a little snotty, but I'm honestly curious as well. If you (whose experiance and opinion I would respect) have insight into cheaper alternatives for powering the beast, please share. But I don't see the logic at this point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
396 Posts
I see a recommendation as presenting options and I made my choice based on the results I've experienced from trying both options. If it was a requirement, then not following it would seem to me as making a bad choice.

Reminding me that I am not running premium doesn't bother me because I haven't found any value in doing so... and am happy to have had the $$$ to spend elsewhere. Making that out to be something it's not - that I care less for my car that those who run premium - is inaccurate and stupid.

I swapped out a few things (based on the recommendations of smart people here who are more car savvy than I'll ever be), but I don't know if they've really made a difference or not -- no matter whether I'm running premium or regular gas. I am at 9 years and 136,000 miles on the car and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. I love driving it and feel incredibly safe doing so.

So I'm going back to using and supporting this site for the help I get with issues that arise and staying out of conversations like this one. I was happier that way and don't need the added frustration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
We need to add this to the list of things you should never talk about:

Politics
Religion
Which gasoline to use in the VQ

(although we get into pointless political debates here all the time, too... the wise ones manage stay out of it)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
daschlag said:
We need to add this to the list of things you should never talk about:

Politics
Religion
Which gasoline to use in the VQ

(although we get into pointless political debates here all the time, too... the wise ones manage stay out of it)
President Obama recommends using premium in your VQ
God recommends using premium in your VQ

What was it you were saying about the wise ones? :? :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
Ha!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Gischpel said:
I see a recommendation as presenting options and I made my choice based on the results I've experienced from trying both options. If it was a requirement, then not following it would seem to me as making a bad choice.

Reminding me that I am not running premium doesn't bother me because I haven't found any value in doing so... and am happy to have had the $$$ to spend elsewhere. Making that out to be something it's not - that I care less for my car that those who run premium - is inaccurate and stupid.

I swapped out a few things (based on the recommendations of smart people here who are more car savvy than I'll ever be), but I don't know if they've really made a difference or not -- no matter whether I'm running premium or regular gas. I am at 9 years and 136,000 miles on the car and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. I love driving it and feel incredibly safe doing so.

So I'm going back to using and supporting this site for the help I get with issues that arise and staying out of conversations like this one. I was happier that way and don't need the added frustration.

Gischpel,

I have a 45, that's gets 93 octane. I follow the recommendations.

I also have a 2006 G35x, that gets regular and with 81,000 miles on her clock, zero motor issues, zero oil consumption issues. That car still pulls very hard and has no detonation. Why? Because it can run on it just fine. It's one of my DDs, if I was after every possible piece of TQ and HP out of it, then yeah, I'd probably switch to 93. Just figured I'd let you know that I have a VQ3.5 motor with 81k on the clock, ran regular since picked up from the dealer brand new, never any issues.
 
21 - 40 of 80 Posts
Top