Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 80's series flowmaster installed. Sounds incredible. Lost the resonator, but stayed with factory 2.50in pipes. This is the way to go. The installer also custom fabricated inlet and outlet pipes and custom tips. At idle it sounds like a mustang, but at 3000-5000 rpm it sounds like a lambo.....It was the first FX he had ever done but has a lot of experience with German and Italian cars and said he was actually surpised at how our V8 could be messed around with a little to sound incredible. My suggestion is stay stock with the pipes, its cheaper and the performance is better.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
<ahem>

GIF! JPG! AVI! MOV!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Obviosly I am glad you went with the Flowmaster and eliminated the resonator.Given that both the 35 and 45 come with 2.5 center pipe,I believe there is more to gain with the 3".but if you are not doing other things like intake work then it is a sound piece and it does sound great!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice!!! I also agree with a 3" pipe a air box mod is a must! Trust me you can feel a difference with the HP on the FX45.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Has anybody went with the Flowmaster and kept the resonators?

Mine will be done next week when the Flowmaster arrives, but I plan on keeping the resonators and 2.5" pipe. Is this a mistake? I'm looking for a slight sound improvement while maximizing performance.

Also, I've been through the entire search process, but I can't seem to find a picture of the flowmaster installed with stock pipes. Does anybody have one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
cl2447 said:
Finally got my 80's series flowmaster installed. Sounds incredible. Lost the resonator, but stayed with factory 2.50in pipes. This is the way to go. The installer also custom fabricated inlet and outlet pipes and custom tips. At idle it sounds like a mustang, but at 3000-5000 rpm it sounds like a lambo.....It was the first FX he had ever done but has a lot of experience with German and Italian cars and said he was actually surpised at how our V8 could be messed around with a little to sound incredible. My suggestion is stay stock with the pipes, its cheaper and the performance is better.
cl2447- Does this set up do anything to the oxygen sensor- do you have to reset computer?
Also- what about emissions testing?
I am thinking it should bother either.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
This is all post cat and there is no negative ECU or emissions issues...a little ECU learn time is always useful

this thread has been around awhile,good search

·
Registered
624 Posts
cl2447 said:
Ditto this morning, but kept the stock tips.....wow! Found a great installer myself that only does custom work at Meineke, and only 5 minutes away from my house, which is closer than the nearest grocery store or anything else. I have before and after mp4 clips from sitting in the garage with the driver's window down, from a start to 3000rpm, but unsure how to get them posted.

·
Registered
624 Posts
After and Before:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
bazooka: did you end up keeping the 2.5" pipe and resonator or did you go big with 3 and ditched the resonator, couldn't tell from your pic. how much for the whole project?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Kept the 2.5" size from the Y, but it was easier for the installer to run new pipe when removing the resonators.

I paid $350 plus tax for all labor/materials and the flowmaster. They estimated it to take 1 to 1.5 hours, actually took 2.5 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
now i c from the new pic. looks great, is there a reason why you didn't go for the 3" piping from the y to the new muffler? How does she sound now? that price is a steal too. i'll have to check around town to score a deal like that, if i can then i'll definitly do it as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
wasabiz45 said:
now i c from the new pic. looks great, is there a reason why you didn't go for the 3" piping from the y to the new muffler? How does she sound now? that price is a steal too. i'll have to check around town to score a deal like that, if i can then i'll definitly do it as well.
Yes, I'm concerned about low end with the 3" and overall sound. After reading everything, and making an educated guess, I wanted to keep some backpressure. The sound from brnjug's with the 3" is exactly what I want, the sound that my wife will tolerate is stock, so I made a compromise. I'll post some a/b g-tech results for 0-60, and 1/4 to see if I made the right choice, after I get my ecu educated. Along with some cai/non-cai numbers.

I found a very good custom tech at Meineke and got everything in writing prior to the "surgery".

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
i guess i'll be doing the exhaust mod after i get my new tires. I'm thinking of doing stainless steel piping for less corrosion w/ all season weather half the year here in chicago. I'm also debating on the piping. i'm not too sure of how loud "LOUD" is to most people, but i know v8's can get very growly. I haven't really heard an FX w/ 3"piping w/ the flowmaster at the end (no resonator) nor have i hear one w/ 2.5"piping. Right now i'm my z is running 3"piping from the exhaust housing/turbos w/ no cat/resonators to two high flow apex mufflers, and that to me is loud, but i know there are supras/mustangs out there running even louder. How would the fx (jug's setup) sound compared to say a stock cobra (04).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just playing around to see if I could. For some reason it is difficult to play mp4's from the cell phone.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
On a 35 a 3" may have bottom end questions,but since we have dual 2.5 on 35's w/o complaint I doubt that.So no question should arrise on the 45;
somewhere else here someone wrote very well that it sounds Flowmaster V8 below 3000,but over it sounds very hi tech...very true,and screams over 6000!
A DOHC,V8,solid lifter with 10.5+ compression ain't a 5.0 Mustang

1 - 20 of 49 Posts