Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Re: 8.5 mpg local and 10.8 mpg at 75 ONmph?

effectsfortyfive said:
how do i know if my caliperse are seized.. will i notice it? any symptoms? and wat are the solutions!
One of my calipers seized last year around Christmas... of course if I have a problem, it's always around the holidays when EVERYONE's closed... you'll notice that the car slows down faster than normal when you're trying to coast (but you might not notice a difference if it's always been that way)... there should be a bit of extra noise from the brakes as they're always ON... and one of the rotors will be hotter than the others... that's probably the best check for you... after a decent drive just take a look at the rotors... if you have a temp gun, use it on the rotors... otherwise you'll hafta do the touch test... careful of your fingers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
arent brakes suppose to be hot anyways? cause i remember washing my car and steam coming out when cold water hit the hot brakes..that happend on most of my vehicles

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
effectsfortyfive said:
NO HIGHER THAN 2500 .. id actually try to shift at 2000rpms
There's part of your fuel economy problem right there. I've found when I manually "shift" I get noticeably worse gas mileage. Leave the car in automatic (it's not a manual even if you want to think and tell yourself it is) and let it shift early and keep the light foot. Your fuel economy will improve. With a light foot around town, I can get up to about 15-16 and on the highway anywhere from 18-21. This with a 45 as well

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
codeggs said:
You guys really have me confused. 13 MPG over what distance (how many miles)? That's horrible.
Just over the weekend I went into Long Island and did a round from about 135 miles. On my way back home I looked at the screen and at was telling me 13.8 mpg. I've got a v6. Ever since I've picked up the FX from the dealer (many years ago) it's been a range of 14-18 ish. Some of you guys with a v8 getting 13+.. Man whats going on with me? Anyone from the Fort Lee, NJ area with a V6? If so what are you getting?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm pretty sure my crappy mileage is mostly due to my lead foot, when my wife drives the car it gets significantly better mileage. Still any mods to improve performance and mileage would be nice.

FX55 - Id like to see that ghetto heat shield, not to make fun of it, but to figure out the mechanical genius behind it.

Also anyone notice that the fuel economy while on freeway seems to suddenly improve if you use cruise control? ie: I'm driving on a reasonably flat piece of freeway at a constant speed, hit the cruise button, the economy graph bumps up a notch. it seems to stay above what it was doing on foot control. Conspiracy? or is it in my head?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
tomwetherald said:
FX55 - Id like to see that ghetto heat shield, not to make fun of it, but to figure out the mechanical genius behind it.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5338

its pretty much the same set up but all of the power duct has been pulled and the air box is located in the back rather than the front. I'll try to upload some recent one's shortly.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
effectsfortyfive said:
arent brakes suppose to be hot anyways? cause i remember washing my car and steam coming out when cold water hit the hot brakes..that happend on most of my vehicles
Yep... but if you have a seized piston, one rotor will be hotter than the rest...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
tomwetherald said:
Also anyone notice that the fuel economy while on freeway seems to suddenly improve if you use cruise control?
I ALWAYS use CC on long trips... I find I get WAY better mileage... AND I know how fast I'm going as my foot tends to get heavy when I'm not paying attention...

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I have one trip meter that's been on for almost 500 days. it says I have average mph of 28. the last few fills its been about 26 or so. What average speeds are you guys getting? I think it will be interesting to compare that to mpg.

·
Registered
114 Posts
im having horrible mpg and would just wanna know how i can maximize it and know any returning / re-occuring issues

datman said calipers seized can cause a big drop in mpg
wheel bearings/alignments can affect it slighltly (probably 1-2mpg)
alignments plays a factor
and of course your foot

any more to addd to the list? or any feedback from the list composed?

i love the fx45 ill never get the 35 - i came from a g35/maxima - but in canada im playing 154 cents / litre..you guys do the conversion lol so it doesnt hurt to help and im only frustrated because i know there are factors causing my mpg to be so crappy not becuz of the engine and its thirsty tummy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any car with only 100 miles on the odometer is going to get poor mileage. Mine didn't improve to about 600 or 700 miles.

On my 2012, V6, I've been getting around 16mpg city, 23mpg highway. Not far from what its rated. I have noticed that lots of stopping and starting really impact your mileage more than I've seen with other cars I've had around this size. On the other hand, if you can avoid stops, mileage gets pretty good. The FX does not like stop and go city driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I consistently get 16.7 at 82mph tank after tank unless there is a head/tailwind. With the trailer I get about 11 at the same speed. Around town it varies between 10 and 17 average w/out the trailer depending on how I drive it, usually faster than anyone else around me.

The highest I have ever seen was 21mpg on a 90 mile trip at 50-55 mph. Probably had a tailwind too.

Mine is a 45

·
Registered
32 Posts
One of my trip meters has not been reset in 15K miles. My average speed over that time is 38mph. My other trip meter was reset 6K ago, it's average speed is also 38. I guess I am consistent.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Check intake for blockage. Check spark plugs. Check tire pressure and alignment. Use premium gas. Leave it in D. I get 20+ highway all day long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2012 V6 stock and can get 28mpg if I stay at a constant speed between 40 ant 55 and its flat. I've gotten 35+ with a good tail wind. On the other-hand, with lots of stop-and-go city driving, 16 is pretty typical, and on the highway at 75, 24mpg is pretty typical. That's not all that bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did not do any Mods. I use Mobile 1 oil, and 93 octane gas and am getting 21.8 on straight highway driving and 17-18 combined. Does cruise control use help with MPG's? I thought yes since i would hit the gas more, but maybe not since i feel it breaking more in ICC to maintain the cruise speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just clocked a round trip of 145 miles via mostly highway (65-70 mph) and the MPG was 20.2. That's with the 2012 V-8.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts