Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason :? (MPG, $$, power, torque, etc.) Did You ever think a 35 would've been plenty good enough? :shock:

·
Registered
706 Posts
As a 35 owner, I can honestly say I don't hardly ever think that I should have got a 45! :shock:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FXLENT said:
As a 35 owner, I can honestly say I don't hardly ever think that I should have got a 45! :shock:
And if you (others) should chose THIS as YOUR stand, please kindly state reasons why. :) Thanks, this should prove interesting. :eek:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Reason for not wishing for 45:

35 has plenty of "pop" for me (torgue/hp)
proven engine (no quirks-engine shudder, loud noise after cold start)
better mpg
saved $

·
Registered
789 Posts
The engine noise on start-up may very well come to the 35 as well. My 95 Maxima has had the same thing happen on occasion. Same motor.
Based on the VQ engine mods coming from a 350Z, I have wished for the 35's aftermarket support. But since I want to stay NA, I think the VK has greater torque potential. I think the biggest problem in the long run will be the ECU fuel maps. I'm hoping for some technology to transfer from the M45.
I do think of the fuel savings the 35 would give me every time I fill up though.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I asked a colleague with a 45 on whether he test drove both the 35 and 45 before buying and how they compared. He only drove the 45 (what he calls his mid-life crisis car), but suggested I talk with another colleague with the 35. I did and ultimately ended up buying his 35 from him... after a two week test drive. It has plenty of power, but I, too, like the savings at the fuel pump.

I don't regret my choice, but often wonder what that V8 would feel like when the pedal is pushed to the floor. Maybe it's time for a test drive... or time to check if they have one as a loaner car. It might help them drive up sales of 45's by letting those of us with 35's drive one when ours are in for service.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The only reason I would want a 35 is for better mpg. However, I took the 45 out yesterday for some long distance freeway driving and got 18.8 mpg average on one tank of gas so I'm pretty happy. I test drove both the 35 and 45 before buying my FX. The 35 did not have enough oomph for me since my goal was to buy a crossover that rivals the speed and torque feel of my 911.

The only regret I have is buying the FX45 instead of the Cayenne S because I did not want to wait for Porsche to fix the numerous recall and reliability issue of the Cay S. I love the look of the Cay S, I like its offroad, snow and towing capabilities. However, I'm not willing to compromise quality for the brand name. And saving $15K wasn't bad either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I test drove both prior to purchasing my 45 and I must say there was a big different in the two. The 45 is definitely more powerful and seemed more quiet off the line. I felt that the 35 seemed to struggle a bit and didn't have the acceleration I expected. Plus the rumble of the V8 hit my soft spot. :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not once have I regretted getting the 45. I test drove both, and I'm a HP junky. The minimal fuel savings of the 35 are nearly worthless...probably around $300/year. I only wish we had more performance mods available.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Drove a 35 and 45.After driving the 45 the selection process was over.
It was also clear what the potential was and I pretty much mapped out the mods before I had the car.
I knew the mileage was "low",but the mods would help.Straight HW 19-20 with highs in the 21.5 range(at 80).I added the torque converter knowing my city mpg would suffer but I still get 13's
No hesitation,no regrets :!:

A former Physical Therapist of mine is getting a FX35(coming up from a MR2).His comment was I get the looks,options etc w/o the extra cost for the motor...a two seater with a back!The comment got my attention because I think it points to a marketing problem that does not set the 45 far enough apart

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, obviously you know my stand on this. I just wanted to jump in with a comment on milage in general, though: on these larger Nissan/Infiniti engines, IT SUCKS. The 6L 400HP LS2 in the C6 gets better gas milage than the VQ and it's still an old fashioned push rod V8. I still love my FX, but with info. like this, milage is the one big dissapointment I have about the vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
For whatever reason :? (MPG, $$, power, torque, etc.) Did You ever think a 35 would've been plenty good enough? :shock:
Note that this is a question aimed at 45 owners, not 35 owners. We don't need another 45 versus 35 thread and, from the question, this was not intended.

I had a G35S before the FX and the choice was fairly simple... sticking with the 35 engine would have resulted in a performance hit I wasn't interested in... so no regrets. The mileage difference is really not significant. For another 6k$ on a fully loaded vehicle, this wasn't a hard choice. Having a little more flexibility in modding the VQ was not of concern, since, after 18 months with the G, the only mods I did were not engine related (spoiler and drilled pedals).

Gary

·
Registered
471 Posts
I test drove both. The salesperson was actually pushing me towards the 35 models, saying that it had more than enough power for me. I just looked at him and laughed at his face. That was the end of that angle for him.

The torque difference is HUGE between the two. The 35 was actually smoother to drive with the lower torque down low. I had to wind out the engine a bit more to get the same acceleration. Also, the 35 was quieter at lower rpms. It didn't have the V8 bass and rumble.

Honestly, it would kill me knowing that there was a more powerful model of the car I just bought. The 35 wasn't even an option for me right at the beginning. I would have bought an RX330 for the price of the 35. (while it doesn't have the sportiness of the FX, the interior luxury blows the FX away, and I already have my 'toy')

As for MPG, I really don't care. If you can afford a $50K car, mileage and it's associated cost shouldn't be a concern. That said, I average exactly 17mpg (50/50 mix), and from what I've seen posted, that's right at or just below what you 35 owners are getting.

And to those only saying it's a 35hp difference b/t the 2 engines, it's not. From the various postings of drag racing trap speeds, the 45 is CLEARLY underrated by Infiniti. It makes the same HP as the M and Q.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
When I went test driving, I could not drive a 45. The dealer did that "we only have one car as the tester." I drove the 35 twice before I got to drive a 45 in another state.

But I was bias from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mhgsx said:
From the various postings of drag racing trap speeds, the 45 is CLEARLY underrated by Infiniti. It makes the same HP as the M and Q.
Oh really, that's exciting to hear, BTW could you please take your "CLEARLY under rated" 45 to the drag to get some numbers?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Speaking of lousy fuel economy - I dunno what the **** happened, but we seem to have gone from German V6s barely matching Japanese V8 MPG as recently as mid 1990s , to now having BMW 4.4L 325HP V8 hauling 4376 lb vehicle yet offering better mileage than Infiniti G35x. What's that all about :roll: ?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Granted I am not stock and 2Fast4U,you are a very quick 35,but I routinely dust Z's ,

Nice to see the juices flowing again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm very happy with 45. Enough power and responce for the weight of the car. I'm not consider change to 35. In US I testdrove G35, FX35 and FX45. This test confirm my decision.

Regards

Steve A.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I drove the '45 first back when I was looking at FXen. I then took out the '35, and about 1 block afterwards, I told the salesman "let's go back and get the '45 again." I've never looked back.

... the only thing I would do differently would be to get more Aspercreme; the hand I use when I smack-down on lesser vehicles is getting carpal-tunnel syndrome. :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FXLENT said:
proven engine (no quirks- engine shudder, loud noise after cold start)
Yer kiddin', right?!

The VK engine predates the VQ from its use in the Q45, and the "engine shudder" is a non-issue (6.5 qts vs. 7- yawn) and a small handful of people get the "cold start" issue.

I think you should remove these two from your list; they're non-starters.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts