Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.xerd.com/main.php

Conrad,

no problem, i will need a car to work on and at least 20 people that are willing to put a $50.00 deposit in order to start working on this project.

I will need the car for about a month to work on.

From start to finish it will take about 3-5 months before they will be available to ship out to the customers.

I need to take a better look at the engine but my guess is that the headers will retail from $800-1000.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanx, Eyal

·
Registered
471 Posts
brnjug said:
http://www.xerd.com/main.php

Conrad,

no problem, i will need a car to work on and at least 20 people that are willing to put a $50.00 deposit in order to start working on this project.

I will need the car for about a month to work on.

From start to finish it will take about 3-5 months before they will be available to ship out to the customers.

I need to take a better look at the engine but my guess is that the headers will retail from $800-1000.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanx, Eyal
Stay away from that guy. When I used to have my IS300, he screwed a lot of guys w/ the groupbuy for the y-pipe. I was lucky that I got mine so fast, but many others were not. When the complaints kept coming in, he went AWOL.

As much as I would love headers for this, I won't deal with that guy or company.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent Sunday with the HBG BMW group and one of the M3's has new JP headers which another member loaned his for the mock up.Several of these guys are Supreme power parts sponsored,so I asked if I could use their JP contact.In fact they get their Supreme contact to negotiate with companies for them.This morning,I sent off an e-mail to their contact for help with JP for headers for the 45.Once I hear,I will share
JP does a variety od euro/japan and US headers

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just heard back from JP.
-they would like a committment of 25 orders to proceed(that is problematic)
-to be emissions legal,it cannot be done,Infiniti designed the cat in the header...so huge problem
-an oxygen sensor simulator could get the ECU to stay involved,but if you live in a state with a visiual inspection law is SOL

·
Registered
471 Posts
Why not just have them weld an O2 bung after the 2nd cat and provide some sort of extension harness for the O2 sensor? At the car will still be semi-clean.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That could be done,but the second cat is not big enough to clean or generate enough heat for proper readings for a sensor in a post position...lastly,would not meet visual inspection which we have in Pa.

·
Registered
471 Posts
brnjug said:
That could be done,but the second cat is not big enough to clean or generate enough heat for proper readings for a sensor in a post position...lastly,would not meet visual inspection which we have in Pa.
The heat won't be a problem.

Never said it would be totally clean. But you may be surprised at how well it scrubs.

Visual.............unless they have factory emmisions schematics for EVERY model and model year, I doubt any technician would notice.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Federal law prevents their removal,interestingly the fines are for the tech/manufacturer,not the private citizen

What I am hoping to find is a company willing to redesign with a good header set plumbing into a dual cat per side or large single(hi flow of course) that would give you the benfits of dramatically improved flow and reasonable emissions/ECU response

·
Registered
471 Posts
brnjug said:
Federal law prevents their removal,interestingly the fines are for the tech/manufacturer,not the private citizen

What I am hoping to find is a company willing to redesign with a good header set plumbing into a dual cat per side or large single(hi flow of course) that would give you the benfits of dramatically improved flow and reasonable emissions/ECU response
And that would still be illegal according to the law. I think you should go F&F on us, and slap on the NAWSSS. :p

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please clarify the alphabet abreviations!

Just heard back from JP and they said my notion would pass a state test but not CARB which is the highest/tighest standard

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contacted 2 more header people on this coast..and had the CARB restrictions explained...unrealWill talk to one more WC company

General feeling is a real header with cat(s ) downstream should work...but will they do it and at what minimum order

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I have described...it must be close to the header exit to max heat is all,not so down stream into the 3" pipe
CARB however is stock period,if a cat blows out It SHOULD be replaced OEM,not hi flow

·
Registered
411 Posts
fx45copper said:
I dont understand why you just cant place a cat somewhere else on the exhaust system
Cats need a certain temperature range to function most efficiently. One of the biggest problems when going to long tube headers is that the cats get moved back too far and are thus not getting enough heat from the exhaust to function at the level they need. So the trick is to balance the optimal length of the primaries with the need to have the cats close enough to get enough heat in them. Wrapping/coating headers can help a good bit here.

Matthew

·
Registered
471 Posts
brnjug said:
Please clarify the alphabet abreviations!

Just heard back from JP and they said my notion would pass a state test but not CARB which is the highest/tighest standard
F&F = Fast and the Furious!

NAWSS = NOS (nitrous oxide systems)

I would simply replace the cats with a highflow. Take your stock cats and beat them with a bat and take pictures to keep in the car. If you're questioned, just say you ran over some junk and it destroyed your exhaust. CARB/EPA rules say you cannot replace a PROPERLY working cat-con. But if it's damaged, you can replace it with whatever you want as long as it passes your model year's levels.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a very positive discussion with George the owner of ATR Performance.
They are wiling to look into the design and possibility of doing headers for the 45.Thinking outloud a 4/2/1 design offers the best possibilities of enhancing mid and top end performance

The pre-cat,he thought was probably an attempt to address an emissions issue in the first minute of running...that pre cat would heat up quickly.Cats in a midpipe design may also work.

They are located in SC, so worse case I can let them use my car(700 miles away)I know the company from the Buick years,but they have branched out far from there and have new ownership.They came recommended by some former Buick guys who are racing "slow stuff" their language(STI's and stuff).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.