Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying this maybe a stupid question.

I am real close to grabbing a FX 35 with rear wheel drive. For those who have dealt with ice/snow in the rear wheel model; what kind of problems have you encountered? I need to know if the AWD is the only option for getting around in the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do the search as there were lots of articles on that topic.
Bottom line, no matter which one you get 34 or 45, RWD or AWD, it will not handle as good as some of the other SUVs out there in snow due to wider tires and not-so-good rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
We have folk in Canada,,Boston,UP and other cold.snowy climates.Up to 5-7 inches most everyone with AWD is doing well,deeper snow typically means snow rubber.
Wide rubber tends to ride on the snow and not dig in,but this is not a Jeep or an off road SUV(those others cannot pull 0.8 lateral G's

I am lowered and there is no problem,but I do not go out over 7 inches of snow

·
Registered
779 Posts
I can see how my last post sounded a little pessimistic... :)
FX is an awesome handling "car" in pretty much any season but winter. If you are expecting a Jeep-like snow handling, get something else. If you are looking for an SUV that can take on IS300, 3-series bimmers, whole lot of Hondas and Toyotas, and bunch of other small so-called "sport cars" then FX is the way to go.
As I've previously stated, do the search through some of the previous articles in this forum and you will find everything you need to know about FX. This org is truly the best source of FX information out there. Enjoy your stay and welcome to the club.
Kris

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Fx AWD is not great in snow just adequate. but this is probably mostly related to the wide tires. i can only imagine the RWD is even worse, so i can not reccommend RWD if you are living in the snow belt.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I test drove the FX AWD in the recent snow storms we've had in the NE. There was already snow on the ground and it was snowing pretty hard at the time. (It was accumulating pretty quickly since we got 18" just 2 days prior). I thought the FX handled superbly. It was night and day compared to my RWD IS300. (OK, so my expectations were not set so high) There was a red light behind me so I actually stopped the car in the middle of a snow covered street (packed fairly densely from other traffic) and tried to get the FX to slip on start and had a hard time doing it. Stopping is another story. You can get any car to slip by slamming on the brakes and cytting the wheel.

-NJJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in the snowy Midwest and have had no problems with my 35 AWD. In fact, it has been fun to get out in the snow with it!! My previous car was a Yukon Denali XL AWD and I had no problem adapting at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.