Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i let her warm up for 20 minutes, got in and sat on a nice warm seat......mirrors and windows were nicely clear as well......only thing was the tires. they (18"s) were a little bumpy cause they were so cold.

anyways, i'm quite happy with the way the fx took on this god forsaken weather. :p

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FWIW, "wind chill" is a human phenomenon. To things like cars and equipment, the absolute outside temperature is what really matters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no you're wrong! my FX was shivering! also, as i walked in front of it, it refused to look at me.....it was choked that it got left outside while i was working........ :lol:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
kcrudup said:
FWIW, "wind chill" is a human phenomenon. To things like cars and equipment, the absolute outside temperature is what really matters.
I'm not sure that is 100% true. I believe that pipes can freeze faster if there is a wind assuming the air temperature does not change. Also surface tempertaure can be different depending on sunlight; a metal surface will be warmer in bright direct sun than on a dark cloudy day, even with the exact same air temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
kcrudup said:
I'm not sure that is 100% true. I believe that pipes can freeze faster if there is a wind assuming the air temperature does not change. Also surface tempertaure can be different depending on sunlight; a metal surface will be warmer in bright direct sun than on a dark cloudy day, even with the exact same air temperature.
You're both right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the original experiments leading to wind chill, Paul A. Siple and and Charles F. Passel measured the amount of time it took for 250 grams of water to freeze at various wind speeds. This value was then normalized to body temperature to create the wind chill equation (which has subsequently by revised after 50 yrs by Canada). Here is how it works.

Everything emits a minor amount of heat. In the case of humans, the skin heats a small layer of air directly next to it providing a small amount of insulation from the ambient air. In calm winds (and the person remaining still), that layer of warm air remains adjacent to the skin. When the wind blows, that warm layer of air is removed and the skin cools quickly. Because the air does not remain stationary in blowing wind, the skin does not have an opportunity to heat the air. In the initial experiements they did find that water did cool much faster in blowing wind than in calm wind. Assuming the water was in some type of container, the heat (energy) given off by the water was not able to warm the exterior portion of that container (skin). Remember an object exudes heat as long as it is not at absolute zero since the movement of molecules still produces some energy.

Hope that helps even though this thread was not even related to meteorology.

Greg

·
Registered
286 Posts
just to add to the confusion, it is my understanding that hot water freezes faster than cold water. go figure :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes things will cool off faster with a wind, however once they've reached the same temp the wind no longer has any effect on them, unless you're talking about something that generates heat (like humans). I've walked to work in -70 (including windchill) when I was stationed in Nebraska ('77-'79) ... BRRRRRRR! ... think I looked like this :oops:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Hearing all these winter stories and talk of snow tires on several different threads make me SO happy that I live in Los Angeles now! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ShadyJC said:
Hearing all these winter stories and talk of snow tires on several different threads make me SO happy that I live in Los Angeles now! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

you lucky basta*d! i wish i lived there! someday i hope too.

have you always lived there?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Hearing all these winter stories and talk of snow tires on several different threads make me SO happy that I live in Los Angeles now!
Amen to that!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't worry...a little global warming will fix ya right up.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
global warming
Sorry, I don't believe in junk science!

(I went to go see "The Day After Tomorrow" on a date, and got my money back- what a crap movie!)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
jlliswell said:
have you always lived there?
Lived all my life in NY/NJ/CT area, moved to LA last February as the result of a job transfer. This is my very first non-Northeast winter.... and I'd have to say, so far, so good. 80 degrees on Friday, SoCal FX meet at the beach! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts