Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Christian said:
wonder how they managed to get more hp out of it?
From what I understand on FA's G35 forum, it's at the expense of torque, and it comes at a higher RPM. I don't think FX35 owners would like it too much.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I thought I had posted this because my saleman told me awhile back..diff exhaust cam,also variable.They could have given more torque,but chose to go for the HP#(others are going to 300hp)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Odd thing is they still show it with Brembos, when everything we've heard said they were dropping them and going with an in-house unit instead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
kcrudup said:
Christian said:
wonder how they managed to get more hp out of it?
From what I understand on FA's G35 forum, it's at the expense of torque, and it comes at a higher RPM. I don't think FX35 owners would like it too much.
Somebody screwed up, that picture isn't of an '05. Wrong wheels, no Brembo brakes on the '05.
I think the loss of torque/higher RPM is overplayed. My new G pulls like crazy from way down on the tach all the way up until the shift light goes solid. I still love the FX, but the G will spank it easily.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This whole power bump thing is kinda weird in that Nissan seems deliberately cagey as to how it was achieved. Couple years back NISMO prepped a Skyline Coupe for a solid 300HP. I've got pix of that car and it looks 100% stock, save for suede buckets. Reportedly they swapped out ECU for their own and upgraded the exhaust. Yet the latter looks exactly like the factory set-up. Go figure. BTW, 280HP 6MT G35C used to run 0-60MPH in mid 5s. So '05 model should shave a sec or so off that.
I won't worry too much about a slight drop in thrust. After all this motor ain't no torqueless wonder from - gulp - Honda. Where around town you feel like you're driving a dish washer 'cause nothing is happening below 4 grand, but after you hit the highway the engine would do 180 .
And yes, as the guy said - the G coupe will kick FX's arse from here to Kansas :oops: . But hey, we're all family on here :twisted: .

·
Registered
411 Posts
pudicus said:
...BTW, 280HP 6MT G35C used to run 0-60MPH in mid 5s. So '05 model should shave a sec or so off that....
Do you know something we don't? I don't see how adding 18 HP is going to drop 0-60 times by a second or so as you say. Not even if those are 18 really strong horses.

Matthew

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thats what I was loaned for 3 days until my FX came in.
Very quick, lots of torque, no Brembos but still amazing brakes. Very fast car (easy to lose licence in), just PITA to get in and out of for me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
BigMatt said:
pudicus said:
...BTW, 280HP 6MT G35C used to run 0-60MPH in mid 5s. So '05 model should shave a sec or so off that....
Do you know something we don't? I don't see how adding 18 HP is going to drop 0-60 times by a second or so as you say. Not even if those are 18 really strong horses.

Matthew

Who do you mean by " we " ? You've got a mouse in your pocket, or somepin' :twisted: ? Getting back to your Q , it seems that whenever a power bump causes decline in torque rating, manufacturers - who know they'd be bitched out by enthusiasts - come back by saying that with new tweaks power delivery would be better and more even. The G35 sedan with 6MT was said to run 5.9 sec 0-60. The manual coupe did it in 5.5 sec. As you recall there was a 20HP power spread between the two. Now the '05 4-door gets an extra 38 horses while the coupe gets 18. As I recall the old gearbox/clutch duo tended to get fussy when used aggressively while @ high engine speeds. And Infiniti - for all we know - may have addressed that too. So how, in light of all this info, is my projection far-fetched ?

·
Registered
411 Posts
pudicus said:
...The G35 sedan with 6MT was said to run 5.9 sec 0-60. The manual coupe did it in 5.5 sec. As you recall there was a 20HP power spread between the two. Now the '05 4-door gets an extra 38 horses while the coupe gets 18. As I recall the old gearbox/clutch duo tended to get fussy when used aggressively while @ high engine speeds. And Infiniti - for all we know - may have addressed that too. So how, in light of all this info, is my projection far-fetched ?
So let me get this straight... You think the MT Coupe will now run 4.5 0-60 and the MT Sedan 4.9?

Yes, I think that's far fetched. Old drag racer's rule of thumb is that 10lbs = 1hp = 0.01 secs in the quarter mile. Based on that, 38HP would get you *maybe* 0.4 seconds in the quarter, and just a bit less than that 0-60. And the Coupe would be 0.2 secs faster in the quarter, maybe a tick faster 0-60.

Until you can show me hard data to back up your claims, I'll side with common sense and physics.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
That is the rule and only if the hp # is correct...nice to have another racer around

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.