Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
At least 2 issues:
Larger overall diameter will result in giving you a taller final drive ratio and therefore a slightly slower accelerating car(Which is why I went to a shorter overall tire).A heavier rim/tire will increase your unsprung weight and rotating mass...slow you down.You should be able to find a lighter rim/tire combo..$.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got my mind set pretty much on these right now - just trying to decide between 22x9 and 20x8.5. They are priced reasonably at 251 a wheel for the 22's... I hope they dont weigh more than the stock ones..

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
64lbs for those rims with tires , 8lbs less than stock - for $2,000 thats a nice deal with Nitto NT420S 265/35/22 - might go with 40 or 45 profile though

·
Registered
197 Posts
Put them on yet?

I have a copper 45 also and I'm thinking about going 22 , just don't think the SUV looks right lowered with the 20's, makes it look sort of like a wagon. So since you have these rims I was wondering how they look on the Vehicle. Any pics would be great.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
and its not only just pure addtl weight. its also the distribution of that weight from the center of rotation. with a larger wheel, you may get a larger mass moment of inertia and this takes more energy to get rotating or to stop rotating.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What tire width are you going with? Width of the rims? Closest match to stock on overall circumference/revs per mile is 265/40-22. If going wider, closest match is 305/35-22 (almost exact), but 295/35-22 is just slightly smaller and would work just fine. Figure it up here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

What Brad said above is correct; you might give up a bit of off the line acceleration for the bling factor; no idea how much, though. Hopefully, the lower overall weight of the combo will compensate.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Tires, Rims, and Suspension

I want to change my tires and wheels on my FX45 from the standard 265/50-20 on 20x8" wheels to Hankook 275/45-20 on Antera 20x9.5" wheels. I spoke with a rep at 1010tires.com and was told the Antera wheel and Hankook tire will permit this combination. The speedo will show about 2% faster than actual speed (I don't care). The difference in cross sectional area, the flatness with which the tire sits on the road, and other specs seen on the tirerack.com site is an impressive improvement. The sales rep I spoke to at 1010tires said this combo will go right on. Does anyone have first hand experience with this combination. I want this for more cornering power and don't want the tires to rub on chassis parts in a hard turn. Will I need spacers or other mods to make this wheel-tire combo work work??

·
Registered
309 Posts
You guy's and wheel and tire weight.. Come on.. Your not gonna lose much power due to rims and tires.. If anything the new set will weigh less than the OEM rim and tire.. Looks outweighs any loss in power anyway.. 22's look great and 40's are perfect for ride quality and a great finished look under the wheel well.. Oh, Antera rims are **** good rims.. Copper, you'll be disappointed with that machined lip bro.. Go chrome...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Berylium35 said:
You guy's and wheel and tire weight.. Come on.. Your not gonna lose much power due to rims and tires.. If anything the new set will weigh less than the OEM rim and tire.. Looks outweighs any loss in power anyway.. 22's look great and 40's are perfect for ride quality and a great finished look under the wheel well.. Oh, Antera rims are **** good rims.. Copper, you'll be disappointed with that machined lip bro.. Go chrome...
you're right about the weight/power thing, no matter how our cars feel/look, they aren't lambourghinis.

as for 22's and 40's....well, that's a matter of taste :) personally i can't stand the 'all rim and no rubber' look, and i remember back when i switched from (on a previous car) 16" to 18" with lower profile rubber my personal perception of the ride quality was that it was definitely rougher.

the dealer even told me not to bother with the 20's for that same reason, i can't imagine even going to 22's.

maybe my a*s is getting too fragile in my old age (31). ;)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
araczynski said:
Berylium35 said:
you're right about the weight/power thing, no matter how our cars feel/look, they aren't lambourghinis.

as for 22's and 40's....well, that's a matter of taste :) personally i can't stand the 'all rim and no rubber' look, and i remember back when i switched from (on a previous car) 16" to 18" with lower profile rubber my personal perception of the ride quality was that it was definitely rougher.

the dealer even told me not to bother with the 20's for that same reason, i can't imagine even going to 22's.

maybe my a*s is getting too fragile in my old age (31). ;)
Hey I'm 31 too :twisted:

But I love my 22" wheels, and I should be getting the forged set I brought back to the states installed later today. It handles better on high speeds when taking corners.

As far as the speed, in a 45 it shouldnt effect it that much as long as you are using the right offset tires.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Hey I'm 31 too
OMG I am older than you.

I never think I am old though :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can't wait to see the d-forged. I'll accept FULL credit, even though you obviously don't remember me telling you to check the d-forged site back when you were askin about your next set.. :(
Jim, love the set you have on and wouldn't change to any that you have chosen due to the fact that they aren't REALLY that diff from what you have.. I pick D-Forged (DF-1 Black) http://www.dforged.com. I was quoted $3500 delivered for the rims.. As well I would consider E-Forged(ww.eforgedwheel.com) EF-22 Black $950 ea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.