Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd read in a post on alt.autos.bmw where someone claims a mechanical fan and fan clutch can take up to 20HP (crank, I'm assuming) to power. Needless to say, I find this quite dubious. Has anyone heard anything else like this?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Some of the older metal mecahnical fans(as in heavy-mounted to water pump) did take up a significant HP bite,20 seems high,but that is why electric and plastic fans dominate now!
Mounted next to the radiator and often dual for serious air flow..thermostatic control,even staged.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but don't we have a mere fan with clutch connected to a drive belt? (I'm trying to find a picture of the underhood)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Honest,never looked...will in the morn

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but don't we have a mere fan with clutch connected to a drive belt? (I'm trying to find a picture of the underhood)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My appology oh holy potentate and mighty overseer.I forgot to check until this after noon andit is what you have shown.Why is beyond me.Electric fans are stronger,draw less power Porsche,I think,uses electric water pumps and even oil pumps to reduce parasitic losses.So while this is very light
It connects to the water pump
WHY?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Kenny,check the pics with my grill off on Meets..9/3 gathering...there is an electric fan pushing and a motor driven fan pulling...had not seen that before

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brnjug said:
.there is an electric fan pushing and a motor driven fan pulling
That's on every AC-equipped car; it's to cool the freon compressor, and only on at certain times. I guess the rationale is that it's motor-driven 'cause the compressor might be overheated when the car is stopped in hot weather.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, interesting; I knew the '35 had electric fans and just assumed the '45 did as well. Wonder if you guys vould do a conversion and free up some HP? Woundn't think it'd be too difficult...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd read in a post on alt.autos.bmw where someone claims a mechanical fan and fan clutch can take up to 20HP (crank, I'm assuming) to power. Needless to say, I find this quite dubious.
I'm re-thinking my previous disbelief.

Every now and then on hot days, after being stuck in slow L.A. traffic, or if I let the car idle for any reason, I've noticed a lack of power that I can definately feel, which comes back after the car's been off. It doesn't just do this on hot days only, and the last time it happened (Friday, in San Diego) I realized that the loud noise that I was also hearing was the fan, the underhood heat having clutched the fan.

Now, I'm wondering if I should pursue an electric setup?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Absolutely agree...worth the research.Today's electrics draw a ton of air and thermostatic control..reduce that mechanical fan load in hot weather as well...I will at least get some folk to look at it
Some manufacturer may simply put a kit together

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
hey kenny...

i get the same thing i think only for me its very interesting as it seems like when i step on it i can feel and HEAR a whirring sound, and it feels as if part of the power is being directed to a fan or something.

as i punch it, i hear the engine, the exhuast, and this whirring which gets louder as the RPMS go up. there is definately a lack of power.

it alsmost feels like if you replaced the torque converter with one where half of the vanes were missing and the fluid was just running thru and not going to spinning the turbine.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have also noticed the "whirring" of the fan after driving 40 mins with Air on ( hot day ) power loss...yep.

I was gonna tell the dealer of this noise..............hrmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Good news,I think.
Talked to George Grubbs 3rd,a bit ago and they looked at this issue and some research 240Z magazine has done on a conversion with the 3.5 motor
He gave me the name and numbers for this SoCa guru on this mod and added that they have also been exploring a Griffith radiator(all aluminum and among the best) to replace thestock for improved cooling...reduces the need for the fans to come on as often..Bottom line there may be a solution ready or in progress.Lot easier to buy a kit than tinker out a solution!
Lastly,the blowers for 35/45 are still in the works.
I will call later today

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
brnjug said:
Good news,I think.
Talked to George Grubbs 3rd,a bit ago and they looked at this issue and some research 240Z magazine has done on a conversion with the 3.5 motor
He gave me the name and numbers for this SoCa guru on this mod and added that they have also been exploring a Griffith radiator(all aluminum and among the best) to replace thestock for improved cooling...reduces the need for the fans to come on as often..Bottom line there may be a solution ready or in progress.Lot easier to buy a kit than tinker out a solution!
Lastly,the blowers for 35/45 are still in the works.
I will call later today
Thats great.

I feel that my FX is really bogging more too. Trying to get out of the doghouse of the wheels and springs and then Ill go TechFLash I think.

This would be a good consideration as well.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
with this cool weather here in the northeast the past week, my car has been RIPPING!

then i took the G35 out last night to run to the store :oops:

its almost embarassing how fast that thing is even compared to the FX45 :lol:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bradical said:
with this cool weather here in the northeast the past week, my car has been RIPPING!
Yeah- as it cools off, both power and gas mileage increase ('cause it takes less "pedal" for any given acceleration). Problem is, from October to April, our swill actually gets worse- they oxygenate it. The mileage and power would be even better if it weren't for that. :(

i took the G35 out last night to run to the store :oops: its almost embarassing how fast that thing is even compared to the FX45 :lol:
Yeah, I have to admit it was fun squeelin' the rears in my G35S loaners.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Kenny want to take a trip to Bartow..this guy is the fan guru
Writes technical for sports Z and owns a G35 sedan and loves to dust G35 coupes(the sedan is lighter and better turning circle...a man who does his homework ..big brakes but lighter etc,etc...)I have to get him some info and measurements,,,package should be done by you for $200-225 and give 7-10HP,Flex a lite and others say 12-15HP...a couple of hours to install for more air movement...got to send him stuff and it wold be nice for him to see a car

1 - 20 of 163 Posts