Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a well kept 2011 FX35 with 265,000 miles. This summer the car stalled 4 different times. I would be going slow in traffic or turning and it would go dead. When I placed it back in park, it would restart immediately. When I took it to the dealership, they said the codes showed it needed the coils on the spark plugs. $2400 later, it stalled again. They kept the car for over a week and can’t get it to throw a code. I’m left with a car I can’t trust. I live in GA and have not had anymore problems since it is cooler weather now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2003 FX35 that would do something similar at about 160k miles. Sometimes when you pulled up to a stop in traffic it would die but you could immediately restart it. Sometimes you could be driving along at 50-60 mph and it would die, motor completely off while moving along! I would drop it into neutral, restart it, back in gear and keep going. Happened about 5-10 times moving and maybe 15 or so stopped. Turned out to be, I think, a camshaft sensor failing. Bought a generic $15 dollar one, installed it and it has never occurred again. I wish I could remember, but I don’t think it threw a code when it would happen, at least not every time. I still have the FX and it’s still running. Hope that helps some and good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there! I had the same problem. I was on the highway and my truck just shut off on me. Luckily, I was in traffic. I too live in Georgia and the way this traffic is in the metro area, there’s no way I could drive around with my truck doing that. It was so random making it hard to pinpoint why it was happening. I researched everywhere and couldn’t find anything . I took it to the dealership but there was no code so they couldn’t figure out why it was happening. My husband asked a buddy that works for Nissan and he told us that we needed to replace the camshaft/crankshaft. It set up back about $1500 but we haven’t had that problem since having it replaced. I will confirm the name of it with my husband and post in this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there! I had the same problem. I was on the highway and my truck just shut off on me. Luckily, I was in traffic. I too live in Georgia and the way this traffic is in the metro area, there’s no way I could drive around with my truck doing that. It was so random making it hard to pinpoint why it was happening. I researched everywhere and couldn’t find anything . I took it to the dealership but there was no code so they couldn’t figure out why it was happening. My husband asked a buddy that works for Nissan and he told us that we needed to replace the camshaft/crankshaft. It set up back about $1500 but we haven’t had that problem since having it replaced. I will confirm the name of it with my husband and post in this thread.
I am guessing they replaced the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, not the cams and crank themselves. There are two camshaft position sensors, one on the back of each cylinder head and one crankshaft position sensor. All three are fairly common failure points and are a good first step to repairing this type of issue. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts