Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple of months, my trans lost power two times while driving. Three days ago I got an engine light that says 'service engine soon'. I got the OBD read today and it says "Gear 6 incorrect ratio". For a test today, I changed the gear to manual and it shifts perfect all the way upto gear seven and downward. I did a couple of highway runs on automatic and also on manual and it shifts perfectly. Does anyone has any idea what I need to do? Thank you all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the past couple of months, my trans lost power two times while driving. Three days ago I got an engine light that says 'service engine soon'. I got the OBD read today and it says "Gear 6 incorrect ratio". For a test today, I changed the gear to manual and it shifts perfect all the way upto gear seven and downward. I did a couple of highway runs on automatic and also on manual and it shifts perfectly. Does anyone has any idea what I need to do? Thank you all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished an extended period (two years) of the same symptom (without the SES light). It got progressively more frequent (every six months, then twice in one month in the fall) when, at 145K, I took it to my mechanic who has all the equipment to fully diagnosis BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti vehicles. He had just completed an identical vehicle (2009 FX50 with 139K) just 6 months before with the exact same symptom and code. The verdict: A degenerating transmission with pressure drop out of specs requiring one of two solutions: rebuild the transmission or replace. He located a 2009 FX 7-speed with 59K from a salvage yard he uses (and trusts) in Florida. Cost: $2,100 for the tranny shipped to No. Va. and $1,500 for installation abd install of BG synthetic ATF. Car runs better than during all of previous life (bought at 8K in 2010). The transition from 5-speed to 7-speed was not Infiniti's finest hour and has been beset with issues, including breakdown later in life. (Just a hint: Dropping into limp mode at 65 MPH in a bumper-to-bumper traffic in DANGEROUS and can lead to terrible consequences, which we thankfully avoided.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you gmg, as I read most suggest replacing the valvebody , I will do some test next week where I will replace it if not cured will tear it down to figure this concern, serious issue in this transmissions, appreciate any info towards fixing this costly even rare transmission to locate even used. i will get to the bottom of the problem by next week. , the original trans lost due to factory defective radiator where coolant contaminated the ATF oil , this was a replacement used with 80K and got this problem now after three months of installing it., people owning this trans in fx and g37 must replace their radiators before losing their transmissions. will update my findings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts