Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but couldn't find much on this. Has anyone completely upgraded a 2010 stereo system yet? Wiring diagrams? Speaker sizes? Results? How clean is the signal coming from the head unit? Does is require DSP? Has anyone kept the center channel or is it better to abandon it? I'm thinking of a custom 10" stealth box sub since nobody makes one yet and replacing all the speakers up front with real amplification. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Cant remember anyone doing this yet here. But the signal from the head unit should be a full range signal, just as in the 1st gen FX. The amps do all the crossover work.

I havent gotten to pull one apart for audio upgrades yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it looks like I will be the test case. I downloaded the Infiniti service manual with the 2010 FX50 and it looks very similar to me 2003 FX45. Almost the exact same sub, same amp location, same speaker locations and I'm betting the same exact speakers as the 03-08 FX. I'm going to check it out further this week.

My plan at this point is to replace all the speakers up front ( 3 3.5" speakers in dash and 2 6.5" in door), remove the factory sub, put a new amp to power the front 2 6.5" woofers and the sub, and make a stealth box sub with a 10" driver in the drivers side rear cargo area with a goal of .65 cubic feet. I'll let you know how it progresses. Any tips thought or ideas from anyone would be appreciated as I delve into this. I can't believe no one has taken apart the stereo yet on a 09+ FX. That Bose system is soooooo lacking. I've only got 150 miles on my FX50S and can't deal with the stereo. I love everything else!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Sounds like a cool project, and a good way to introduce yourself to the forum. Take lots of pictures and notes because there will be others to follow in your footsteps. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I'm sure someone has done an upgrade on it, but you gotta realize most people that buy these cars dont really upgrade the audio. Its not bad stock, and you have to do it right and spend a few bucks. Most people cant be bothered. **** I'm in the business and it wouldnt be too big a deal for me, and I havent even touched my audio setup.

Assuming its similar to a 1st gen (havent looked in the SM yet), its pretty simple. 4 channel full range audio out of the head unit. Take that and pipe it into whatever amps you need. No need for a cleansweep or any of that crap. And the amp turn on lead is probably still 5 volts so get a low voltage trigger module. If you are using stock amps and changing speakers, the oem speakers are probably 2 ohm still, so you'd have to find proper replacements. If your adding your own amps, then its a non-issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the service manual and have identified the ins coming from head unit to the Bose amp. Are these some sort of digital signals or can I just wire these to RCA plugs and plug them into an aftermarket amp? It looks like that is the case for the 2003-2008 units. Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
They are low level signals. Splice to RCA plugs and feed to your amp(s).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have any problems with the voltage level coming from the head unit? Someone said they needed a line level converter to get the preamp levels where they needed to be for his aftermarket amp. Any thoughts or approximate preamp voltage levels? Should I be concerned at all about this?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Well again i cant say on a 2nd gen, but on 1st gens ive done, I didnt have any such problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have most of the components in hand. It looks like the amp on signal coming to the bose amp is actually 12 volts (according to the service manual) so I'm going to wire straight without using LVT (low voltage trigger). I'll start the upgrade next week. I'm excited/nervous.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Otis said:
It looks like the amp on signal coming to the bose amp is actually 12 volts (according to the service manual) so I'm going to wire straight without using LVT (low voltage trigger).
I think youre reading the manual wrong. It clearly shows around 5 volts.

Maybe youll get lucky and not need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alpine PDX M6 600 watts x 1 and Alpine PDX F4 amps 100 watts x 4.
Front: Focal 165 KRX2 6.5" Components
Rear: Focal 165 V30 6.5" Components
Customer fiberglass "stealth" box with a Focal 27 V2 11" subwoofer in about a .8 cubit foot box

I decided to have someone local do the install as I was short on time. I should have it back tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Otis said:
I decided to have someone local do the install as I was short on time. I should have it back tomorrow.
PICS!!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[attachment=2:2if2w9dd]DSC_0153.jpg[/attachment:2if2w9dd]
[attachment=0:2if2w9dd]DSC_0156.jpg[/attachment:2if2w9dd]
[attachment=1:2if2w9dd]DSC_0157.jpg[/attachment:2if2w9dd]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Nice stealth box! From your first picture of the rear, I didn't even notice it... also noticed that you made sure the rear seat could still recline... nice detail!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everything is done. I mounted the amps stacked on two aluminum plates for two reasons. First is to act like a huge heat sink coupling the amps directly to the full size spare (read 20 lb heat sink). Second was to take minimum height as it is a tight squeeze with both amps stacked in there.

The first plate just mounts with one center bolt to hold the spare in place securely. The second plate has the amps mounted to it securely using nylon insert nuts. The two plates are fused with 3 bolts and wing nuts. So to get access to the spare I just need to unscrew 3 wing nuts to remove the plate with the amps and then the one bolt that holds the spare in place. I just need to carry a 1/2" wrench to get that bolt out.

The subwoofer enclosure is a work of art that I cannot take credit for. The enclosure houses that 11" focal subwoofer in a sealed .8 cubic ft enclosure. I local shop did it as well as replacing all the speakers and running 14 gauge wire to all the new speakers. A remote subwoofer control knob was placed in a dummy switch where the headlamp level normally goes to the left of the steering wheel.

The result while not cheap is completely amazing. It is a great combination of awesome high ends of which the Focal KRX2's delivers well along with great mid bass from 4 big 6.5" speakers in the doors with the sub to back up the low end. Everything is crossed over at around 70 hertz, meaning you can totally crank the system without blowing the doors apart with the 100 watts rms power to each speaker and 600 watts RMS to the sub. Everything below 70hz goes to the sub.

Those who are looking to upgrade.... go for it. You only live once. By the way, the POS Bose speakers are a complete joke. Seriously, all the speakers combined weigh about what one of the new KRX2 6.5" speakers weigh.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those of us with 50's would prob like to know what this cost, and what shop did the work. NICE sub box...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ASAP Automotive Sound And Protection
1516 Butler Pike, Conshohocken, PA 19428-3505
(610) 825-0455 ?
audioasap.com

The custom box was $600 and the Focal 11" sub was $400. The Focal components were about 20% off retail. In other words.... expensive. The amps were $300 a piece. You get what you pay for with most things. The total install ran just shy of $4k.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts