Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 06 fx for a newer 2010 fx35. I love the new vehicle, but there are a couple of annoyances with the newer model.
The biggest by far is the stereo, namely the speakers. I know in the 1st gen the dash speakers were 3.5" speakers and they are clearly NOT in the 2010. I took off the grills and the left and right appear to be 2" full range speakers, although they are nothing more than a useless tweeter (that is clearly not crossed over) to me. The center is about 3". In the 06 these weren't great, but were definitely better than in the 2010.

I am looking to upgrade all of the speakers, I've read I think all of the upgrade topics on the board and haven't really seen what anyone is putting in the dash. I saw one person mentioned they were planning on putting 3.5"'s in the dash prior to the install but didn't see whether or not it worked.

Has anyone changed out the dash speakers with 3.5 inchers, and did they fit, especially in the right and left?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Mods here but we just traded in a 2006 for a 2011 and i definetly notice a Diffrence to the sound system.....the 06 definetly had a better sound system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my only complaint with the 2010-11. Well I guess not only, why did they get rid of the little storage compartments in the cargo area on each side in the floor? I kept tools and odds and ends there that just don't belong elsewhere...

I ordered some 3.5" speakers for the front and I hope I can find a way to squeeze them in. Hopefully I won't have to go crazy modifying to get them to fit! I just can't handle the crap sound coming out of the front dash, it has to change!

I'll definitely post my results with the speakers so others can determine if they can do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got the speakers in. I am going with the Infinity 329CF's
I chose these for a couple of reasons. They are 2 ohm which I figured it an easy OEM replacement. I also wanted to get the most out of the stock amp, using 2 ohms, for a while until I upgrade the amp. I plan to do a full upgrade of the speakers and amps, but it will be gradual.

Well the speakers, DO NOT FIT! at least not without some nerve racking mods. The best way I could see to modify the speaker opening would be to remove the windshield as the working space is very tight. I didn't really want to go this route so I made things work. I tried small saws, clippers, cutters, etc and there just isnt enough space to operate. Finally I went with the trusty soldering iron. I basically melted away several parts of the plastic until there was enough space for the speaker. There is barely enough in the space under the grill once you open it up so 3.5" speakers are the max. After opening it up mounting the screws was tricky so I basically made things so that the back side of the speaker (front end of the car) was wedged very tightly using the mounting brace on the speaker and the plastic in the dash. The other side was fairly easily mounted in the plastic with a screw. They seem like they are in there and not moving but I guess time will tell. I did have to do some minor modding the grill on the right side and just a tiny trim on the left.

I only did the dash speakers today, everything else is stock right now. These new speakers make a BIG difference in sound. Just adding these speakers improved the sound dramatically.

The first speaker, the right took me 1.5 hours just taking my time and figuring out where to open things up, the left side took 25 minutes start to finish.

Its well worth the upgrade if you aren't scared to death by trimming back the hole in the dash for the larger speaker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just traded my 06 fx for a newer 2010 fx35. I love the new vehicle, but there are a couple of annoyances with the newer model.
The biggest by far is the stereo, namely the speakers. I know in the 1st gen the dash speakers were 3.5" speakers and they are clearly NOT in the 2010. I took off the grills and the left and right appear to be 2" full range speakers, although they are nothing more than a useless tweeter (that is clearly not crossed over) to me. The center is about 3". In the 06 these weren't great, but were definitely better than in the 2010.

I am looking to upgrade all of the speakers, I've read I think all of the upgrade topics on the board and haven't really seen what anyone is putting in the dash. I saw one person mentioned they were planning on putting 3.5"'s in the dash prior to the install but didn't see whether or not it worked.

Has anyone changed out the dash speakers with 3.5 inchers, and did they fit, especially in the right and left?
Hey how you doing how easy was the grills to come off and change the speakers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts