Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2009 FX35 with 10,000 miles on it, and I'm changing fluids. I know I don't NEED to, but I like changing transmission and differential fluids every 10,000 miles. How does one check the automatic transmission fluid level? I already stumped the guy at the local service department, until went back and checked with his guys. They no longer have a dipstick! It seems that the fluid is pumped into them. I believe I have located the proper "port", which is an angled bolt acting as an overflow similar to what you would find on a manual transmission or differential. It is located at the rear of the transmission just above the pan, with a smaller orifice above the threads. Is this the filler / level check? What do I need to pump the new fluid in? Thanks in advance. I'm new ti this forum!

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
I know you probably don't care to hear this, but you're basically throwing money down the toilet to be changing the transmission and differential fluids ever 10,000 miles. Those who do it at 45,000 miles are still doing it too early IMO; I do mine around 60,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
n305tj said:
If it makes you feel better, let's say it has 60,000 on it. My question is still HOW do I do it? I wasn't trying to open a discussion of service scheduling.
Well I appreciate your concern for what makes me feel better. I was beginning to gain a sense that you didn’t care much about anything except for throwing money away, but now you’ve given me a sense of hope that this is not so.

Now to answer your question -- if you had tried the search function, you would have likely found this thread ---> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21445&hilit=AT+dipstick. While that thread was written by an FX50 owner, the consensus was that the new FX does not have an automatic transmission fluid dipstick (which we've already established), and that it is not supposed to be checked. The 2009 service manual says "Automatic transmission fluid is maintenance-free". Since the transmission is sealed and there is no dipstick, and the service manual says that there is no need to bother with the transmission fluid, I wish you luck with finding a way to change the AT fluid and check the fluid level. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have already found that thread. I did finally find a copy of the service manual, and what I though seems to be correct. The bolt just above the pan at the rear of the tranny is used as an "overflow" checker and to fill the tranny. The instructions are worded a little goofy, no doubt translated. It says:

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
A/T FLUID
Changing INFOID:0000000005151189
1. 1st Step
a. Cut the vacuum hose (B2318N3301) (A) by 20 mm (0.79 in) to fit
in at the top of the ATF exchanger pipe (B) as shown in the figure.
2. 2nd Step
a. Use CONSULT-III to check that the ATF temperature is 40°C (104°F) or less.
b. Lift up the vehicle.
c. Remove the drain plug from the oil pan, and then drain the ATF.
d. When the ATF starts to drop, temporarily tighten the drain plug to the oil pan.
NOTE:
Never replace drain plug and drain plug gasket with new ones yet.
e. Remove overflow plug from oil pan.
f. Insert the own made tube into the overflow plug hole, and then fill approximately 3 liters (3-1/8 US qt, 2-5/
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
g. Temporarily tighten the overflow plug to the oil pan.
CAUTION:
Quickly remove the own made tube from the overflow plug hole. Otherwise, the ATF may leak.
h. Lift down the vehicle.
i. Start the engine and wait for approximately 3 minutes.
j. Stop the engine.
3. 3rd Step
a. Repeat the “2nd Step”.
4. Final Step
b. Lift up the vehicle.
d. When the ATF starts to drop, temporarily tighten the drain plug to the oil pan.
CAUTION:
• Tighten the drain plug into the oil pan to the specified torque.
• Never reuse drain plug and drain plug gasket.
f. Insert the own made tube into the overflow plug hole, and then fill approximately 3 liters (3-1/8 US qt, 2-5/
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
CAUTION:
Quickly remove the own made tube from the overflow plug hole. Otherwise, the ATF may leak.
i. Start the engine.
j. Make the ATF temperature approximately 40°C (104°F).
JSDIA0861GB

Maybe this will help someone else that is **** bent on throwing away money! :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,511 Posts
Are you sure that was in English cause I read it all and still have NO idea what to do...

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Gone are the days of changing the trans fluid like this:

1) Raise front end
2) Remove drain plug, drain
3) Reinstall drain plug, tighten
4) Pour new AT fluid into the fill tube
5) Move gear selector through all gears
6) Check fluid level, adjust if needed
7) Lower front end, drive car.

Manufacturers are trying to make the regular maintenance something so complicated that owners will only want to bring it to a dealership for work.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
n305tj said:
Thanks, I have already found that thread. I did finally find a copy of the service manual, and what I though seems to be correct. The bolt just above the pan at the rear of the tranny is used as an "overflow" checker and to fill the tranny. The instructions are worded a little goofy, no doubt translated. It says:

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
A/T FLUID
1. 1st Step
2. 2nd Step
b. Lift up the vehicle.
NOTE:
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
CAUTION:
j. Stop the engine.
3. 3rd Step
4. Final Step
b. Lift up the vehicle.
CAUTION:
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
CAUTION:
i. Start the engine.
JSDIA0861GB

Maybe this will help someone else that is **** bent on throwing away money! :lol:
Im sure this was written by a Japanese and translated.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
carrera mike said:
Im sure this was written by a Japanese and translated.
Thanks. We were all wondering last year.

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
A/T FLUID
1. 1st Step
2. 2nd Step
b. Lift up the vehicle.
NOTE:
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
CAUTION:
j. Stop the engine.
3. 3rd Step
4. Final Step
b. Lift up the vehicle.
CAUTION:
8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
CAUTION:
i. Start the engine.
JSDIA0861GB

Are you high

1 - 13 of 13 Posts