Infiniti FX Forum banner

2004 INFINITI FX45/35 (GEN-1) TRANSMISSION ATF FLUSH & FILL PROCEEDURE

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mwr 
#1 · (Edited)
Nissan and Infiniti built great transmissions back in the GEN-1 days, but reading that dipstick is not straight forward. And my efforts to figure it all out led me to these conclusions, which I hope help you DIY, and/or help you communicate with your mechanic... whom may need some coaching if he never has performed a transmission flush on an FX45 or FX35.

For a complete summary on how I flushed my 2004 FX45 transmission fluid... by disconnecting the transmission cooler return line... you should download the attached .pdf file.

Also, I found no issues using Valvoline Max Life ATF (Full Synthetic) in place of Nissan's Matic "J" and you can order this stuff for $18/gallon on Amazon with free delivery. That's 1/4 the price of Nissan's Matic "J" fluid at $18/qt.

However, the real value of this thread is knowing how easy it is to flush your entire transmission fluid out... without mixing the new ATF with the old ATF.

Also, IMO, I would not bother changing the metal filter screen since it's not a paper element and this makes the whole procedure easier and faster.

The secret to a complete ATF service is to pull the transmission cooler return line; while you start-and-stop your engine; 3 qts at a time; and then learning how to read your dipstick at normal operating temperature; instead of at 149F, which none of us can due without an expensive scan tool.

I hope the attached .pdf helps you get not only better performance out of your FX, but hopefully better MPG around town!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.