Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my FX45 had an intermittent starting issue for a while now. It’ll start right up whenever I first turn it on that day, but then won’t start at all after a few short trips. It won’t crank at all, almost like the starter is bad. But the weird thing is that it will start again roughly 30 minutes later without any hesitation.
The starter that came on the car when I bought it had died completely about two months ago, so I changed that out for a second hand starter. That worked fine, but that introduced the intermittent starting issues. Some days I could go three of four small journeys without having it refuse to start, other times I could only make it one journey. About a week ago it would refuse to start at all, but I was able to get it running for another five days or so by hitting the starter whilst somebody turned the key, I did this up until Monday when my remanufactured starter arrived.
Now this new starter should work great, all of the internal components are new and it has a warranty, so I’m not worried about getting it replaced if there’s a problem, but after three starters I’m thinking there has to be something else to it. What could be causing this?
This new starter is also giving me the same problems, it’ll start in the morning no problem and will let me restart it again after one or two journeys, but then won’t start again for quite a while. Hitting it also doesn’t seem to have any affect.

The battery is two months old, and is very strong, it’s not a better problem. The wires looked just fine when I was replacing the starter, so I don’t believe it’s a wiring issue, at least not the wires directly connected to the starter. What else could it be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey friend! Dealing with the exact same issue right now. Have heard that the issue might be caused by the driver wheel position due to wear on wires from years of it moving on entry and exit. I did find that moving the wheel all the way in (towards the engine) and up would sometimes allow the car to start. But not always, and more recently I’ve found that just by turning the key to on, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning to start would allow the car to start. It’s puzzling, and seems like it could be the alarm system over riding it, or something similar because when my car does start, it does so with ease. My next plan is to replace the AC controller, I can’t recall exactly the name, but it’s a white plastic box that lives under the CD changer in the stereo. Hope one of us finds a solution!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey friend! Dealing with the exact same issue right now. Have heard that the issue might be caused by the driver wheel position due to wear on wires from years of it moving on entry and exit. I did find that moving the wheel all the way in (towards the engine) and up would sometimes allow the car to start. But not always, and more recently I’ve found that just by turning the key to on, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning to start would allow the car to start. It’s puzzling, and seems like it could be the alarm system over riding it, or something similar because when my car does start, it does so with ease. My next plan is to replace the AC controller, I can’t recall exactly the name, but it’s a white plastic box that lives under the CD changer in the stereo. Hope one of us finds a solution!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts