Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start this post here and if it turns into a technical discussion I'll move it but I 've got a question.

The FX is at ~37k miles and a while ago my wife noticed the fuel gauge didn't go all the way to FULL. It wouldn't do it *every* time but it did do it. My first guess was air bubble or similar. So I tried it a couple times paying attention and sure enough it doesn't alway show full.

We took it to the dealer who found a "cracked" sending unit and replaced it. It seemed to fix the problem (but of course it's intermittent anway). Well it's now doing it again. We've made another apt. and they are going to look at it and see what's next on the list that could cause it.

My question is has anyone else noticed their fuel gauge not going all the way to full at a fillup?

Thanks,

·
Registered
779 Posts
Similar thing happened to my old BMW. The fuel gauge would not go past 75% full. I went to the dealer and it turned out that there was a dent in the fuel tank. I am not sure how did that happen (I had hard time believing them) but they fixed it and the problem disappeared...
Kris

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an '04 FX35 that does the same thing. It shows 90% full sometimes but is intermittent as well. About half the time it shows full and half the time it shows around 90% full even when I fill right to the cap. Sometimes it reaches full after driving a few minutes so I haven't really worried about it. It seems pretty accurate otherwise.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Same here. Interestingly, it only happened when it's cold(like 10-15F). Today(30+F), it was fine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Same. If anyone else takes it into the dealer, please let us know what they found.

I mentioned it to my dealer when I brought the car in for some warranty work (so many fkn creaks and rattles in this car its ridiculous). They didn't find anything, but my guess is that they didn't check the send unit.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I'm having similar issues at times, but also find that the guage drops to read 1/2 full in the first 120-150 miles then "uses" the second half of the tank over the next 200+ miles.

Maybe I should only fill it half full? ;-)

Actually, the mileage has remained about the same. It is just the fuel guage... and fuel mileage computer that are wacky.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Similar issue here. It started when I didn't fill the tank to full only about 2/3 full. Then on my next FULL fill up it stopped at half way between full and 3/4. Lately, it does eventually reach the full markafter about 5 min and only after it initially stops between the full and 3/4 mark. Getting it checked out at dealer next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.