Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this forum, but I'll be looking here more frequently as my 03 FX35 just cleared 100k miles with NO PROBLEMS and is still strong as day one.

I just got rid of my HOG SUBURBAN and I'm missing my hitch big time. So I see i can install an after market hitch, and I have had several UHAUL hitches over the years with no problems. Took me a while to find one for the FX here in So. California today, but I finally found one. It's only $245.00 installed, so I thought I may as well just let them do it. I ordered a OEM wire harness to pick up after work today.

I don't see anywhere on the board where anyone mentions the OEM hitch being a class II or class III? Dealer says he only has class II. Seems like the mounting process for the OEM is much more complicated that after market. I would like to tow a small camper trailer possibly, but will most likely tow a pop-up camper (they are lighter).
Other than that, an occasional 6 - 12 ft. Uhaul trailer for hauling screen printing equipment that I buy and sell is about it.

Also, for those who have done the OEM wiring harness, is there any splicing of wires? I am pretty handy with all things mechanical and such.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
The OEM hitch is technically a class III but is only rated for 3,500 lbs. due to limitations of the vehicle itself, not the actual hitch. The OEM hitch is one of the most robust hitches of its type I have ever seen and has a ridiculous number of mounting bolts.

Plus, the OEM hitch is very inconspicuous. The Curt hitch really stands out.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah the oem hitch is virtually transparent. You have to look under there to see it. Even if mine didnt come with it, I would put the OEM one on. Keeps the good looks of the FX without having an ugly reciever sticking out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I installed the Curt Uhaul hitch. Didn't want to spend the extra $$ on the OEM one and it seemed like a lot more mounting points (probably stronger). With the OEM wiring harness it took me about 10 hours. A bit longer than I expected only because trying to fish the innermost mounting bolts into the holes I drilled in the aluminum bumber frame were a royal pain. The first one went in no problem, but the fish tool got bent and the second one took hours. I had to go buy a magnet tool from Autozone and fish the bolt out which was not easy since it's a pen like device with telescopic magnet and when I finally got the bolt back out I had to get creative to fish it back in there. I actually did it with weed whacker line and electrical tape! When I got the bolt close to the hole, I used that magnet and it pulled the bolt right into the hole. What a pain. The harness was easy, just have to take a lot of stuff apart, but it all works.

I have a 12ft. dual axle uhaul open trailer connected to it right now to tow some heavy screen printing equipment later today. Had to get an extended hitch mount and 3 1/2 drop which I turned upside down to lift the hitch higher as it was a little too low.

I supposed with the OEM hitch I wouldn't have had that problem. I'm thinking a 4 - 5 1/2 inverted drop hitch would be even better.

My goal is to tow a small pop up trailer with the FX and head to the hills for some serious trout fishing before summer is out!

I'll post some pics soon.

Any idea if you can attach an air bag syste, to the rear to keep it level?

Also, what is recommendation for transmission cooler system for this. I'll research it on this board.

Thanks for all the responses.

Ken in California.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
LOL... I saw the lower pic first and it looked like your hitch was coming straight out of the exhaust pipe... :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Besides aesthetics is there any other reasons to go OEM VS. The Curt? I would have to have everything installed and there is a $550 difference to go OEM.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Apparently the OEM has many more bolt on areas... so theoretically it should be stronger... but no one's complained about the 3rd party hitches... also, the OEM hitch apparently is very hard to see when you're not using it...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
BTW, go to the below site and check up the price for the OEM hitch there... it might be cheaper than what you've been quoted... if so, you could also take it to a shop and have them install it for much cheaper than the dealership will charge...

www.infinitipartsusa.com

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
DatMan said:
BTW, go to the below site and check up the price for the OEM hitch there... it might be cheaper than what you've been quoted... if so, you could also take it to a shop and have them install it for much cheaper than the dealership will charge...

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com
Freight kills any savings though he still might be able to save on labor (the OEM hitch is a lot of work to install).

The OEM hitch is very, very nice because of how inconspicuous it is. I think third party hitches ruin the look of the FX.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
Freight kills any savings though he still might be able to save on labor (the OEM hitch is a lot of work to install).
Not sure if that's always the case... at least not ordering from Canada... couple months ago, an ORG member from Canada ordered the OEM hitch from them and even payed for the next day shipping (almost $150 if I remember correctly) and he STILL saved $$$ compared to what he'd pay for the same part in a Canadian dealership... now I know that there may not be as big of a savings in the US, but some dealerships charge more for their parts than others... wouldn't hurt to go to the website and check pricing and shipping costs... might still be cheaper than what he was quoted from his local dealership...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a note about Curt or other hitches for the FX. I understand that there are only a couple of companies left making hitches as most were aquired by one another. So I believe Reese, Hidden Hitch, Curt are all the same company with different factories. I bought a Curt hitch I think the only one that makes a 1 1/4 receiver for an FX45 (for my Yakima bike rack). About 6 months later I got a resonating sound throughout the whole vehicle once the car heated up. It turned out that when the muffler got hot, it came into contact with the hitch. I went through dealer, and also the place that installed my hitch (Cobra), who called the hitch co's service dept.
Long story short we shortened the exhaust pipe from the catalytic converter to the muffler by about 1 1/2 inches. problem solved. But I hope it didn't weaken the exhaust system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry, correction that was a Hidden Hitch and not Curt that I got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts