Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

What do you think about installing the 20" wheels on a non-sport FX35? This would be for a person (like myself) who loves the look of the bigger wheels but would prefer not to have the firmer ride associated with the sports suspension. How many people have done this? Did the dealer offer this as an option when you purchased the car? Would you expect a signficant change in the ride or is most of the firmer ride due to the 20" wheels themselves?

By the same token, has anyone asked the service shop about loosening the suspension on a FX35 sport? Maybe that's a ridiculous question or not even possible, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
On most roads I could tell very little difference between the two; I believe that the ride is more sensitive to tire pressure and road surface than the suspension. That said however the Sport suspension IS firmer and can be annoying on poor roads. I tend to keep my cold pressure at 32 psi. Have you taken significant test drives in both? My dealer set up a test drive of BOTH back-to-back so I could compare the rides on the exact same roads in the same weather conditions. As I said I found little difference on good roads.

Now about your question; yes the dealer can put the 20's on the FX35 non-Sport and for that matter you can put ANY after-market rims on as well. The issue I see is one of cost. My dealer said the Infiniti OEM price does NOT include any trade-in credit so to speak so IF you go this route do it AFTER purchase and keep the original 18's to sell later (or if you live up north to use for snow tires). Discount Tire, on the other hand, will give a trade-in credit for both the OEM rims and tire.

Don't forget that the Sport package also includes the Chrome rails and the chrome pedals so there is more to the package than just wheels and tires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
gadgets

We just bought an FX35 with 20"wheels and no-sport package.

We test drove a Sport, non-sport (18" wheels) and the one we got and all 3 gave different rides. The sport package also includes (aside from thechrome rails and pedals), smoked lenses on the tail lights (headlights to I think ??) and stiffer suspension.

Here is a pic of our '05 w/ 20" wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Infiniti Web site lists both the OEM 18" and 20" tires as 'V" speed rated which means that the tire must be able to sustain speeds of up to 149mph.

If that is indeed the speed rating of the 265/60-18, then the taller sidewall would by design require that it be firmer than a 265/50-20.

The 18" could not be much softer than the 20" tire.

I called a rep at Tirerack and he confirmed that if both were V rated the difference in ride comfort would be minimal, however the 20" tires would offer a cornering benefit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
18s

I did the 20 chromies on my other fx which is not a sport model 03. did notice a better handle but worse in the snow. looks great with the 20s. I switch to 18s with aftermarket rims for the winter for chrome preservation and better traction in the snow. I wish I new how to compress my picture files to post pics but i am computer retarted!! :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.