Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I had 100 miles on my FX when I had a nail in it...Infiniti gave me a new tire and I had local Goodyear shop put it on....they damaged rim and ordered me a new one. The one that came in from Infiniti matched perfectly but was damaged so they swapped it with a wheel off a new car and ordered a new rim. The one they swapped it for doesn't match. The finish has orange peel and not tinted as my stcok wheel is. I looked at every wheel on their lot and all had orange peel and not tinted. So my guess is that there is the 18", the 20" tinted, the 20" non tinted, and 20" chrome......I did look at other 2005's and all differed from my wheels/the one that came in damaged.....so whats the deal??? Did they change the style along the production run???

Thanks for any insight!

Marc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheels on my 2005 are all darker then the one they swapped off another 2005.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Brake dust? If they're all from a 2005, that's all I can think of...

Matthew

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
hummm, hope you can post some pix to clear out the air.
- If your car is an '05 model with Sport pkg as stated then your wheels should color matched with the roof rails = Silver.
- Well, 2 samples below are from a 2003 model. It's a "gun metal" color, some called.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try and post some pictures tomorrow! I am baffled and no its not the brake dust hahaha

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the wheel saga continues.

Summary: First wheel that came in from Infiniti matched with color and smooth finish but was badly scratched. Second came in with orange peel finish and not tinted the same. Dealership says my car should have chrome wheels according to my VIN but my window sticker says 20" wheels (not chrome).

Dealership says there is nothing they can do and is pot luck with regards to what comes in with tint/finish. They tried feeding me bs that after the wheel heats up with brake dust on it...the brake dust will eat into the finish and smooth it out...most ridiculous statement I ever heard.

I called Infiniti consumer affairs so hopefully I will be able to get an exact match on my rim (05 FX with sprt/touring gry tint and smooth finish to wheels versus bright orange peel)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
its funny you say this, becuase in my travels i have noticed what you are talking about. back when the '04s first came out, they had a new rim color....it was called gunmetal. it had NO orange peel and was more of a flat finish. i loved the look. then....at some point along the way in the 04 model year, or when they went to '05s, this color went away. now they are more "chromey" looking and have orange peel. if you look at the window stickers and other info, you no longer see mention of "gunmetal" specifically...just the stock rims or OEM rims or moreso "standard" rims.

i bet dollars to donuts that if you find someone with an early 04 with gunmetal rims, they will be different than the '05s

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brad,

Finally someone that knows what I am talking about!!!! I noticed the diff when I was looking at the FX's before buying. I always liked the tint/smooth finish better...the salesmen always said they were the same (clueless obviously). My cars build date was 9/05 so I think it was still part of the gunmetal group. Maybe I am too picky that I want all 4 to match (from a distance its hard to tell) but the car is 6 weeks old afterall so why not push Infiniti to figure this out?!

Now if only you worked for Infiniti so I can relate to someone that knows wtf I am talking about haha. I guess time will tell since I spoke with Infin Consumer Affairs and started a "trouble ticket".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interestingly, I'm running to the exact same problem at my local goodyear place

they damaged my rim replacing a flat but the new one they ordered is a brighter silver than the finish on mine.

does anyone actually have the varying part numbers ? I've already sent back two, they can't seem to find the one I need.

Jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff have you gotten any resolution on this? I am so disgusted I am thinking of replacing all 4 with the 2006 style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.