Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since fuel @ approx. $2 a gal. is a reality, and we all love and want to keep our FX's, it has been noticed that some among us have been able to avg. 20+ mpg consistantly, while others fall way below. To those who avg. 20 + mpg consistantly, please share how you have achieved this. Include ANY & ALL tidbits such as driving habits, mods. done, grade of fuel used, % city vs. hwy, etc. - be as informative and specific as you can. Many of us would like to be a member of this club. Thanks for being helpful, timpin.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've gotta assume that you're only talking about 45's here, cuz the 35 can get it easily. I have also hit 20+ in my 45 on a couple occasions...all ya gotta do is put her on cruise at 65mph. Typically, I only get about 15mpg. Oh, and I just paid $1.89 for premium today, down in Charlottsville, VA...then I saw it for $.05/gal less after I filled up! It's about $.10 more here in northern VA though.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never assume. We have a 35 (unmodded yet) and day in day out, mostly local and some hwy. our combined is 15 -16 mpg, and i'm sure we are not the only ones, which is why i started this thread, to seek out answers from those who are more sucessful than me.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Yep don't assume anything. I have been averaging 12.5-13.5 MPG on a tank of gas (90/10 city/highway). I use Chevron Premium 91 gas. I have a 2004 FX35 AWD. This has been confirmed with manual calculations as well as from the computer. And this is driving with a very light right foot most of the time... :razz:

Breathing mods and lighter wheels may help bump up the gas mileage. Perhaps when the new Consult II comes out, we can modify the A/F maps as well?

Truthfully, who has been able to consistently average 20+ mpg in real world driving with their FX35s? Please state your FX setup including mods and road conditions (city/highway).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I average in the 19's, with the occasional 20. I really attribute getting good MPG to being an aware driver. I'm always looking a few cars ahead, ready to lay off the gas. I coast a lot, and rarely use my brakes on the freeway. -- pet peeve is the nit-wits who hit the brakes every 20 seconds.

If you're getting less than 18, you must fall into one of two categories .. either you're driving in 70%+ city traffic, or you're on and off the gas hard all the time.

edit: FX35, AWD, 18" tires, non-sport, 5k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
What's your FX setup to be averaging in the 19's?

20" chrome wheels and AWD is probably not really good for gas mileage. :cry: The chromies do look real nice though! :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I get 20+ all the time... Every time I go down hill with a strong tail wind and my foot off the gas... just kidding I'm averaging 16mpg.

But we should think of ourselves as lucky, we only have to pay $2.00 a gallon. I think we have the some of cheapest gas in the world. Europe, Australia, New Zealand and many others have to pay around $5.00 per gallon.

Let’s say $1.80 is a fair price for premium and it’s now $2.00 and that is expensive, that’s only $4.00 more fill up and lets say you fill up once a week that only $208 a year, if we can afford this car we can afford that.

I know that we are used to low gas prices in the US but we should think of ourselves a lucky and not mind a $208 per year increase it’s just the price of a nice dinner for 2.

I personally think there should be a tax on premium gas maybe $0.50 or $1.00 maybe even $2.00.

But more to the point I would have thought a FX35 should be getting better than 15-16. How old is your car? I found after my first service my MPG when up by 10-15%. Do you drive your FX hard, driving habits are the main factors when looking a MPG. Not sure what else to suggest. Oh yea, check air pressure in your tires, drive with windows up and if its not too hot drive with the AC off.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PINITI-FX said:
Since fuel @ approx. $2 a gal. is a reality, and we all love and want to keep our FX's, it has been noticed that some among us have been able to avg. 20+ mpg consistantly, while others fall way below. To those who avg. 20 + mpg consistantly, please share how you have achieved this. Include ANY & ALL tidbits such as driving habits, mods. done, grade of fuel used, % city vs. hwy, etc. - be as informative and specific as you can. Many of us would like to be a member of this club. Thanks for being helpful, timpin.
Just looking ONLY for those who have been there & done that, so that the rest of us may benefit. Please let's keep this thread simple, concise, to the point and on course.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As I said I have been there and done that, every time I go down hill with a strong tail wind and my foot off the gas :shock:

Increasing MPG is one thing, complaining about the price of relatively cheap gas in another. And the last part of my post dealt with MPG issues and ways to improve MPG.

Sorry if you did not like what I had to say.

Vivid said:
But more to the point I would have thought a FX35 should be getting better than 15-16. How old is your car? I found after my first service my MPG when up by 10-15%. Do you drive your FX hard, driving habits are the main factors when looking a MPG. Not sure what else to suggest. Oh yea, check air pressure in your tires, drive with windows up and if its not too hot drive with the AC off.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
20.1 since running Chevron 89 octane (2 tanks now). Was averaging 18.5 with Chevron 93 octane. Haven't changed my driving habits. Don't know what's going on. I'm so confused.... :? :? :?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
finsfx said:
20.1 since running Chevron 89 octane (2 tanks now). Was averaging 18.5 with Chevron 93 octane. Haven't changed my driving habits. Don't know what's going on. I'm so confused.... :? :? :?

Are you AWD or RWD on your FX35? Please state your % city/highway too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
GeoFX said:
finsfx said:

Are you AWD or RWD on your FX35? Please state your % city/highway too. Thanks!
sorry. RWD 70% City/30% HWY.

·
Registered
706 Posts
70 city/30 hwy - getting about 16mpg.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
duncantuna said:
I really attribute getting good MPG to being an aware driver. I'm always looking a few cars ahead, ready to lay off the gas.
Heh. That same reason's why my average is so bad- I'm constantly looking for holes to come around people who:
coast a lot
on the freeway- they're usually the ones with large gaps between them and the cars in front, and who rarely keep up when traffic speeds up again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was getting 19+. Lately, i got tired of driving like a grandma so i just let it rise to around 4k-6k rpm and mpg has been around +-17. And let me tell you, it's fun :p

chevron 93
fx35 rwd stock

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I consistently average 17.5 (according to the nav computer) in my RWD modded '35 on Chevron 93 octane and 50/50 driving. On all highway road trips, I get 22-24 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Waiting to hear more gas mileage results for AWD FX35s. Especially those with intake modifications...

Not to state the obvious but altitude and ambient temperature play big roles with regard to HP and MPG here y'all... :lol:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Recently drove to Cape Cod for 45 miles all-highway averaging 75MPH with a total of 4 adults on board, A/C one notch below full blast and stereo off. ( I've been doing all the talking, that is :lol: . ) Couldn't get so much as 18MPG :roll: . Those of you getting 20MPG must be driving in a vacuum tube, or something.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bought mine 6 months ago and now with 15k on it.

70/30(City/Toll way) driving and usually get 18mpg. With cruise on, 19.5 mpg. Without it on with ave. 70-90mph, I get 18.5mpg. I'm happy with city mpg but expected 20+mpg for hwy driving.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts