Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a little confused on this +2 Mod I have been reading about. From what I understand, and maybe I am wrong, its just a change to the onboard computer?

Do I just go to the dealer and ask them to change the computer +2 ?

From what I reading having +2 makes the car drive much smoother, and shifts better, I am just not sure how to order or request this change, what the right wording is to use with the guy at the service desk?

Thanks
Duane

2003 FX45

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
A +2 advances the timing of firing the sparkplugs by +2 degrees... what this means is that it should be closer to the highest point when the spark occurs, thereby making the most power... but if you do this you need to run the BEST gas you can buy... ONLY premium or better if you have it in your area... if not, pre-mature detonation can occur which can blow your engine (in the most serious cases)...

So what you want to ask for at your dealer is to have them "advance the engine timing by +2"... it can be done easily with the CONSULT tool they use at the dealership... some dealers will do it, some won't...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Timing is increased to what, +14 from +12? That might help the user and Infiniti tech...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Chedman13 said:
Timing is increased to what, +14 from +12? That might help the user and Infiniti tech...
Never knew that... just +2 from stock... the techs should have stock info so to ask for +2 shouldn't be an issue... but then again, I've had some REALLY stupid techs...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
timacks said:
does this do anything for fuel economy?
Yeah... you'll take a roughly 1-2 MPG hit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts