Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
jli said:
where can i get this done?? Can it be a diy??? Thanks and sorry about the noob questions its probably asked for thousands of times already haha.. :oops:
Any NISSAN or INFINITI dealership CAN do it... not sure if they WILL do it... or anyone with a CIPHER tool can do it as well... there are a coupla guys on the ORG that have one but I'm sure there are more G owners that have them... so checking for someone on a G site would probably be faster...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
FUNBOSS said:
themerchant said:
btw, the mods dont like multiple posts :mrgreen:
I don't see any posts pertaining to +2 dyno results?! If there is, than please point me in the right direction, I'd love to see the results!
Just do a search on "+2"...there are several threads.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I did the +2 back in the day and noticed nothing at all. I was able to verify the timing modification saved to memory weeks later with no change in mpgs or in any other statistic. For me it wasn't worth the time or effort. Not sure if this was mentioned, but after doing the +2 timing mod, you can use 91 octane fuel or better ONLY. Anything less than premium and you are risking engine knock.

Seems to be a lot more FX45 guys that say they feel a difference. FX35 not as often. Among the FX35 crowd it is hit or miss. Placebo effect is defined to be 50% of the population so maybe taking a poll here on the org would give a good indication as to "feeling" an effect for those of the FX35 crowd that have completed this mod? I say "feel" because to my knowledge no dyno exists showing improvements from a straight +2 timing mod on the VQ35 engine.

After all my bolt on modifications AND the +2 timing mod, my FX35 put down 211whp. After being tuned on the dyno (timing and air/fuel maps were adjusted across the rpm range) the FX pushed 236whp. At that point the +2 mod was over-written and gone forever.

My advice to anybody thinking about a timing mod would be to just to go get a dyno tune. Since the dyno tune over-writes the timing mod, it would be a waste of money if you think a dyno tune is in your future. And it should be!!! It's the best mod out there for people who have performance bolt-ons.

To the FX45 guys - I'm jealous this timing mod works for you. I wanted it to be something I could feel as much as the plenum spacer or the CAI, but for me there was just nothing there. I've had the car since it was new in 2004 so I recognize any change in feel since I drive the same roads to and from work every day. I gave it a few months and then admitted defeat.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
jumbosrule said:
Seems to be a lot more FX45 guys that say they feel a difference.
I honestly didnt notice a difference on mine. Maybe it has something to do with the mileage (130k).

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I certainly did not buy my 45 to feed it non premium.Higher mileage may effect a lot of factors and the cost of a personalized tune vs a TS reflash is what?While the +2 is free to less than a hundred dollars.These are the same debate items going on since a member in Texas found this mod.I believe the DaMayor stated that his techs found more improvement with the 45's and good luck getting a reliable dyno of 1-2hp,we have had the same problem with intakes which peak 2hp at the top end...only.

·
Registered
139 Posts
jumbosrule said:
I did the +2 back in the day and noticed nothing at all. I was able to verify the timing modification saved to memory weeks later with no change in mpgs or in any other statistic. For me it wasn't worth the time or effort. Not sure if this was mentioned, but after doing the +2 timing mod, you can use 91 octane fuel or better ONLY. Anything less than premium and you are risking engine knock.

Seems to be a lot more FX45 guys that say they feel a difference. FX35 not as often. Among the FX35 crowd it is hit or miss. Placebo effect is defined to be 50% of the population so maybe taking a poll here on the org would give a good indication as to "feeling" an effect for those of the FX35 crowd that have completed this mod? I say "feel" because to my knowledge no dyno exists showing improvements from a straight +2 timing mod on the VQ35 engine.

After all my bolt on modifications AND the +2 timing mod, my FX35 put down 211whp. After being tuned on the dyno (timing and air/fuel maps were adjusted across the rpm range) the FX pushed 236whp. At that point the +2 mod was over-written and gone forever.

My advice to anybody thinking about a timing mod would be to just to go get a dyno tune. Since the dyno tune over-writes the timing mod, it would be a waste of money if you think a dyno tune is in your future. And it should be!!! It's the best mod out there for people who have performance bolt-ons.

To the FX45 guys - I'm jealous this timing mod works for you. I wanted it to be something I could feel as much as the plenum spacer or the CAI, but for me there was just nothing there. I've had the car since it was new in 2004 so I recognize any change in feel since I drive the same roads to and from work every day. I gave it a few months and then admitted defeat.
Saids the man running boost and can whip up 45s no problemo lol.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
jumbosrule said:

I did it. Nothing to get excited about, but it did show minor gains. Not enough research put into it to determine anything for sure though. Just a before and after dyno. Unfortunately they got thrown away at some point so I can't post them up.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
StuLax18 said:
I did it. Nothing to get excited about, but it did show minor gains. Not enough research put into it to determine anything for sure though. Just a before and after dyno. Unfortunately they got thrown away at some point so I can't post them up.
I remember you talking about this - didn't you say +1whp? You also mentioned (correctly) that normal dyno variables can account for the 1whp. Even a couple degrees difference in engine temperature or ambient air can change the readings that much. To me, it's the same as no gain at all. We would need a ton of data points from different dynos to "prove" the timing mod actually has a positive impact.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
jumbosrule said:
StuLax18 said:
I remember you talking about this - didn't you say +1whp? You also mentioned (correctly) that normal dyno variables can account for the 1whp. Even a couple degrees difference in engine temperature or ambient air can change the readings that much. To me, it's the same as no gain at all. We would need a ton of data points from different dynos to "prove" the timing mod actually has a positive impact.
My positive impact is many, many G-Tech runs, as I did before and after each modfication. It's all documented here. There's been tons of discussion on this going back many yrs.

There's no question it had a positive impact on my FX.
I picked up a good 1.5 tenths of a second 0-60 time. It could be a combination of all my mods, but that's the last one I did that got me down to 6.72.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts