Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
shong43826 said:
the links aren't working for me
Me, neither- you have to be careful with links posted from Yahoo!; they use limited-TTL (time-to-live) URLs to keep people from hotlinking to their sites.

We have image posting here at InfinitiFX.org; it's probably best to put 'em up here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
That sure is alot of power you are running into you FX.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
:shock:

OMG that makes ur trunk look tiny lol. aw man am I gonna have to give up the whole trunk for 2 w6v2s? I mite just go with one lol.

Set off any car alarms lately? I seem to do that now and I only have one 12 in my jepp.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i have one 12" W6v2 in a JL box and 1/3 of trunk space is gone.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, those are some big subwoofer alternatives to the Bose!

I just hope you guys are blasting them full power most of the time. Low frequencies do damage your ears slowly! :)

Just wanna make sure that you all will be driving cool cars and be able to HEAR the beautiful exhaust notes of them in the long term! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I seem to set off car alarms wherever I go. It's definately an imoprovement over the stock. What do you think about the W6v2 mushutofu? I'm considering buying different subs, but I'm not sure what to get.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Come on people! You're doing aftermarket mods to a car that costs over $38k new and your putting in a (good - w6v2) sub in a $125 box that would look at home in a '95 Civic with a coffee-can muffler and Indy car spoiler!!! ...and taking up all your storage space! Think about it this way - even if you spent and additional 5% of the car's value on the stereo, that's close to $2000 you could spend. 5% !!! That's a LOT of car stereo - especially if you're just putting in a new sub/amp. Shoot - You could do something decent for half.

Spend a little and get the installers (good ones) to make a fiberglass, MOULDED enclosure. It could fit where the spare is, or along either side (backside moulded to side contours of the trunk - save SOOO much room). Have it be about the same height as the rear seat and have a sunken part that the amp will fit in creating a flush look (and saving space).

There's some people spending crazy money on the components to have a cheap, no-trunk-left install (ex. the guy on cardomain.com with the Focal, McIntosh, JL 7s set-up).

No offense intended, but a couple hundred extra can give you a factory look to the sub install.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
couple hundred extra? Not sure about that one, but if you know an installer in the bay area willing to make me a totally custom fiberglass encloser for my sub and amp for a couple hundred extra then holler at a playa :wink:

Bottom line is that the w6v2s and some other subs sound great in their own enclosures so, if you don't need the space, it's worth it to save money, but I see your point 8)

Also, yeah installs like Tyson's look sweet as ****, but how often do you look in the trunk?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Loud_FX,

What's the model of your Sony PM3 player? Do you know the dimension W x H x D? Is it the same width and depth as a typical radio.

Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
One more question. What did you use to cut the hole?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
contaygious said:
couple hundred extra? Not sure about that one, but if you know an installer in the bay area willing to make me a totally custom fiberglass encloser for my sub and amp for a couple hundred extra then holler at a playa :wink:

Bottom line is that the w6v2s and some other subs sound great in their own enclosures so, if you don't need the space, it's worth it to save money, but I see your point 8)

Also, yeah installs like Tyson's look sweet as ****, but how often do you look in the trunk?
Let me clarify. If you don't mind a big, bulky box, then more power to ya. I've done the whole hatchback style 2 10s box before and didn't care (it was also in a 89 Ford Probe back in high school and I didn't have $). And yes, nobody cares what the trunk looks like really except yourself (and thieves that see all this equipment just sitting there) so do what makes you happy. ...but, if you value the cargo capacity there and have some money (you did buy an Infinity, didn't you?), why not make something that fits with the kind of vehicle you're driving?

You don't have to make the WHOLE enclosure out of fiberglass necessarily. To save money, use the side wall placement for the sub. Make the top, bottom, front, back, and inside face out of wood. Those can be flat/sloped (recline the back seat and slope it at this angle). Make the OUTSIDE facing piece out of fiberglass since that is the piece that needs to flow around all the nooks and crannies of the inside wall of the trunk. Have a recessed area on the top/side for the amp to flush-mount. have the sub fire wherever. Just have it fire down if you don't care about seeing it and it'll never get damaged (subs don't have to fire into "free air" to get the base in case some of ya don't know) or to the side/up. I had a single box made like this for my last car for a single 10 and it cost $440. Adjusting for inflation, CPI, yada yada let's say $500. Now if you're still cost conscience, go with a JL Audio 250/1 amp (~$250 or so) and say a single 10/12w3 (1.25 sealed box cubic feet) or a single (discontinued but you can still buy them new) 10/12w6 (.625 and 1.25 sealed box cubic feet). Any of the speakers should be ~$150 - $180. So now you throw in the install and you're looking at like a grand + for what will be a great system and at 2.5% of your car's new value. Pay a little more and get the w6v2 and 500/1 amp for top of the line.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
yeah that all sounds great and I may do it some day, but once again, I don't know where you are located, but installation prices are not that low where I am. Even the shady place I got my 12w3 installed in my jeep charged a lot for installation, but it wasn't nearly the amount the high end places charge.

I am planning on going to Audiomobile in Oakland next time and upgrading to a w6v2-they are higher end, so I'm sure it's not going to be around 1k for all that. The other thing is that the speakers still aren't that great, so rather than spending the money on the custom enclosure, you could update the speakers to infiniti or something instead...

hmmmmm

·
Registered
81 Posts
...upgrade the speakers and you still have the crappy BOSE headunit... and you can't just replace the speakers since BOSE uses crazy ohms for them (no Infiniti, Quart, whatever... you're really limited... and so you then need another amp for the highs... if you want a good signal you have to replace the HU but it's built-in... then you're cutting through the clock to put in a new HU... such a delima (to put it VERY nicely)!

The FX really is a HARD ride to upgrade the audio on. You basically have to re-do everything the way BOSE has it all kind of linked together. Ergo - this is why there are almost no aftermarket examples on this site or any others (cardomain.com ; freshalloy.com ).

I'm going to have a financial heart attack by the time I get my car out of the shop!

Unless you can replace EVERYTHING (HU, 1 or 2 pair of components, sub, amps) which costs a ton, I'd just go with a 'decent' sub and nice install. You don't need a crazy sub since it'll be overkill for the Bose system.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i agree...i have 2 8" JL dual coils and a 250 sub amp and i think its matched perfectly to the stock head unit for sound.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Replace the front end drivers with ID drivers, and Rainbow center and sub......this car sounds completely different, completely.
Factory amp sounds fine thru speakers that are not made of paper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts