Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a pc to my tech packaged fx, this is one idea I have in mind, a 10.4" screen upgrade, I will take the dash apart & see how possible/practical this is... this photoshop is witjh a new style console but my fx is an 03 so it does still have the old console without the woodgrain.

this is shown with the correct 03 radio/nav unit, it would have to be moved down like the newer style dash, eliminating the cassette,I think I can live without the cassette if I have a pc instead :roll:

let me know what you think, this screen will display the tech package factory nav & all vehicle & climate control, etc, but also be able to switch to displaying the pc, the stock factory screens could also be displayed with the pc at the same time as a picture in picture...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Well its not really gonna fit nice. You would have to modify the vents at the very least. Plus with the top of the dash just above the opening and the radio just below, you won't have the height to get it in there. Really not room in there for something that big.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I guess those were my first thoughts as well, the vents will be the biggest problem & when I'm done they will be just very narrow slots for sure, but i think this is doable.

the radio control buttons will need to be moved down for sure, I would bring them all the way down as shown in that picture, the head unit would no longer be able to reside in that dash opening & would have to be relocated completely, I would then use the oem cd slot for a slot load pc drive instead, the 6 disc changer would have to be loaded elseware depending on where the head was relocated to.

I know this sounds far fetched & sounds like just wishful thinking, but I have done many heavy dash mods in the past & I think this is a possibility. an 8.4" might be a little more practical, but I'll see when I gut this... I have no problem removing the whole dash, I actually have to replace it, as this truck deployed the passenger airbag anyway, & that takes out the dash pad by blowing directly through it, I'm probably going to order the dash from the 07 instead, as the opening on the new dash does extend down all the way, unlike the earlier ones that have the cassette door cover

this is a picture of another big screen I did in a nissan, I love big screens, but only when very tastefully done, i want to go as big as I can without having it look tacky:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, thats me 8)

I've done a bunch of stuff there, that's really the only forum I frequent, except now that I found this great place for my fx :wink:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
That Nissan looks good. If you relocate the factory head and controls, then you could do like you did in that Nissan. Probably look pretty cool. I dunno where you would hide the head unit though.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, but I definatley want to keep the controls in the center though, I think it'll fit with the screen in landscape orientation, I'm more worried about the vents for the ac...

I'm not sure where I could relocate the head, gonna take it apart soon for exploritory surgery

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
That's nice work. John is absolutely right about hiding the headunit, it's big and clunky. If you're going to rework the whole dash maybe it could be brought down at an angle, replacing the clock and ashtray area in front of the shifter? I think that would work out nicely... fabbing up the mounts for it in that location would be the tricky part.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the console narrows as it gets that low, so just bringing it all the way down won't work, I have seen pictures of the inside of the dash & the head unit & yeah, it's huge... I'm not opposed to butchering it & removing unecissary components from it if possible to make it smaller, I'd even be willing to loose the 6 disc changer if necissary, I'll have 500gb's of mp3's & video's so I think I could live without the changer if I had too, the whole reason that head is such a monster is the changer & the cassette mechanisims, I may be able to reduce the size of the head significantly & retain all other functions... even if it means gutting it & altering it

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Would be cool if it fits and works. But I doubt a large screen will be possible to fit where you are purposing. Good luck tho!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, the suspense was killing me, so I ripped it apart, the 10.4" fits exactly like I had hoped, so this is a go on my part.

I even test fitted a 12.1" :D now that would be a challenge, as it doesn't leave enough room for the button panels, a 12.1" could be done, but it would be a bit extreme,I'd have to reconfigure the whole button panel & remote mount that too, extending the buttons up to the lower console/clock area. I haven't totally ruled that out yet, but I think I want to keep this simple.

the 10.4" on the other hand fits like it was made for it and should be natural looking when done. the vents will be 100% fine, they will be narrower than the stock ones by a little, but they will also be quite a bit longer, airflow should be fine, this was an issue for me & a possible compramise, but there is lots of space.. I like this dash:D

see that photoshop in the first post? that's what this should look like when I'm done hopefully.even the little ribbon is super easy to extend, everything else reaches with plenty of room from what I see so far, man, theres TONS of room in here, there are a few modules that can be relocated for even more space... the radio will actually fit lower no problem, the face is too wide to go below into the aluminum area, but for the radio itself theres lots of room, depth may be a bit tight, but I think I'l manage...

I might have to pop the clock face off to load the factory changer, but that won't be a primary source of use anyway & I'll never have to bother really.

there may even be room for the whole pc in the dash if I use a laptop or tablet motherboard... this is gonna be a nice install to do, so far looks easy too. there is only one variable that I haven't confirmed yet... the circiut board for the switch panel drops down into the cassette area. this can't stay as-is cause it would hang below the upper dash, in front of the clock since that whole panel needs to be dropped. I'll have to cut this board & there are a few smd components in the way, if this is only a 2 layer board then there's no big problem, if this is a 4 layer board then this will be the only real problem in my design so far, one way or another I'll come up with a solution, I'm like 80% sure it's only a dual layer board though.

worse case, if I had to do serious button mods, then I may just consider the 12.1 at that point, but right now that 10.4 is the goal:)

this is how it fits:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heres how a 12.1" fits.... this could also be nice, but maybe a bit to much, definaltley a lot more work, at that point I'd keep the cassette cover of the 03 dash & have it hinge open to reveal something, then have all of the buttons in an aluminum panel where the clock & ashtray would be, it bothers me that they'd be blocked by the shifter though, & that would probably kill it for me, the buttons should be up front & easy to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
This will look real good, if you can get it to work.
Goodluck... post more pics of the install.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your end result.

I thought from the first picture you had a 06+ FX, but I see now that you have a 03-05 FX. I think that makes it easier as the 06+ would be a lot more of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, the 06+ button panel is much larger & can't be moved down at all, it's already extended all the way down from the factory.

here, I will just be using the cassette space for the larger screen, just shifting stuff around a bit, but it all fits.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Thats is why I was skeptical on my first post. Now that we now you have an pre '06 what your are purposing is much easier. But in any case wish you luck and please make it look oem...no hack jobs :wink: . But I'm not worried after seeing your finished product on your nissan.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no hack jobs, I promise :wink:

I'm pretty anal when it comes to stuf like this, I'm looking to improve, not ruin my new fx:)

this will happen in the next few weeks as I'm getting the truck ready for a full paint job right now, gotta take it all completely apart to change the color, I'm updating the exterior to all 07 trim while I'm at it, the truck needed a new front bumper/grille anyway, soo....

don't worry, it'll be sweet:)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can't say that I have... man, he did that when they first came out...

I looked into turbo & supercharging the fx, they make a lot of bolt on's for this truck, I like the sts turbo setup, maybe someday when all else is done, right now I'm more into the custom electronics end of this... as long as this truck moves pretty good I think I'll be satified as-is for a daily commuter car for now. after the pc & screen is in, I might get a bit deeper into the audio end of this truck, I got a few things in mind there too :wink:

forced induction would be the last thing on my list, but it is still on the list though, way down there :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
looking forward to seeing the results....is the new screen touch screen?

1 - 20 of 173 Posts