Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an article in which they quote two unnamed hacks from similiarly unnamed auto mag who were given a chance to drive the new M45 on Nissan's testing track in AZ. Having kept for over 1 year a G35 in their fleet the hacks were naturally sceptical whether the new car would feel much different since it too is based on-albeit modified-FM platform. Well, reportedly they ended up holding their jaws thru much of the test course. Because the new M45 is so solid and tracks so true that it resembles a slab of granite on wheels. In fact, the improvements made are so dramatic that they make the G35 seem like a supermarket pushcart in comparison. Two other pieces of good news: it'll have a self-adjusting rear suspension which changes geometry according to what sensors detect at a given time, and also may come with swiveling headlights. Finally, there was a photo of the engine bay, and I gotta tell ya it won't be out of place in a S-Class Mercedes. Provided Infiniti doesn't ef up the gearing again, this thing should be able to smoke the V8 Beemuh.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well I hope your sources are very reliable and what they say is true and that the M45 really is going to be what they say it is!

It'd be nice if the improved suspension found it way onto future generations of G35s and FXs even.

I think Nissan and Infiniti are definitely already headed in the right direction and hopefully they'll use their boost in profits and revenues from the Z, G, Murano, and FX to increase the quality of the materials they use as well as further improvements in the customer service and sales areas.

I think Nissan should release the FX in other countries as well. Especially Asia. I think it'd sell pretty well there. But then that's just me, I'm sure they've alredy done the market research and have proved otherwise.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ghosn foresees gradual intro of the brand in Korea, China, Japan, Russia and Europe before 2008. Supposedly the leap in the qulaity of the interiors is explained by the fact that Infinitis are to be marketed to the jaded euros and japanese who unlike us won't tolerate any cheap-ass nonsense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was the article from autoweek?

Now the new M45, due out in a year, is transferred from the mighty Q to the next evolution of the FM platform, the same underpinnings that, in slightly different configuration, ride under the mighty Z car. The new M45 shares an awful lot with another FM platform performer, the very successful, much-loved Infiniti G35, for which there are still long waiting lists and occasional dealer markups. Technically, the new M45 will ride on the Global Mid-Luxury platform, but you can call it the new FM.

We drove a very, very early test mule of the upcoming M45 with the hood riveted together and black anti-spy-photographer paint sprayed on, and found a lot to be happy about.

First, that new platform. Who knew the last G35 was so loose? Driving an old G35 back-to-back against the new M45 at Nissan's desert proving grounds, the first thing you notice, before the big whoomph of that V8, is the improvement in torsional stiffness. Engineers added three new crossmembers and 250 spot- and arc-welds. Torsional rigidity goes up by 30 percent, which isn't remarkable, but front lateral stiffness increases by 1400 percent. That is not a typo. Infiniti showed us computer simulations of the front ends of the old G35 and the new M45, and the old looks like a fish flopping on a boat deck by comparison.

The stiffness is what you feel on the road. It comes across mostly as better steering-more in touch with the road-but you also feel less flex and twist in the front end. It uses a new variable-assist steering system, combined with optional passive steering, electronically controlled at the rear. It changes the rear suspension geometry up to one degree.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Infiniti will never do well in Korea. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
848 Posts
First of all, though the economy in Korea is much better than when I lived over there, far fewer Koreans can afford a luxury vehicle. Second, there's virtually noplace to drive one in a sporting manner...traffic is worse than anything you've ever seen in the U.S. or Europe. You do occasionally see some Mercedes & BMWs, but there's really just not a decent market for them.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
As I understand Nissan's plans, they only want to open 2 or 3 dealers and they are targeting Korean luxury vehicle owners. So will this be a windfall for Nissan? Probably not, but their expecations seem reasonable to me.

Here's a recent article/press release: Nissan Korea Unveils Infiniti Launch Strategy

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not just economically but there still is a social stigma of owning a Japanese vehicle in Korea. Though the Japanese occupation was long ago there is still a lot of resentment in Korea.
Foreign cars get taxed a lot in Korea. If you drive any BMW your considered pretty wealthy. Also its not economically sound to drive a 3.5L V6 when gas prices are so high. My cousin told me that gas is around 4 to 5 dollars a liter! Not even a gallon.
Plus as previous has mentioned its very crowded.

·
Registered
848 Posts
mushutofu said:
Not just economically but there still is a social stigma of owning a Japanese vehicle in Korea.
Funny you should mention that...my ex-wife (a Korean), used to dislike the Japanese, and she was born in '65!...long after the occupation. I'm sure she heard things from her parents though...both survivors of that era.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
In the first four months of this year, BMW has sold 1661 cars, Lexus sold 1589 cars and Mercedes sold 1102 in Korea. Even Rolls Royce is available for sell there. Import cars sales are expected to be about 23500 this year alone. I can't comment on Korean attitudes toward Japan, but if Korea and Japan sign a free-trade agreement next year (as planned) then most analysts expect sales of Japanese vehicles to surge. Imports to Korea may become 41 percent of the domestic auto market by 2010. In my opinion, I think it makes perfect sense for Nissan to jump on the wagon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts