Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year all!
I have an 06 FX35 well maintained. Around 205,000 km or 130,000 miles. Well maintained in all aspects. I recently had the plugs changed and the fuel system flushed. Everything seemed fine however in the last month the car has been acting weird. Basically I can be driving and the car will lose power, not electrical power but engine power. It will come back as quickly as it goes away. It can happen once a day, 15 times a day or not at all. A few times the engine has completely stalled but starts right backup. I have had it to the shop a few times and they are stumped too, no codes etc and when they drive it they have had no issues. Over the last few days the battery died, so I got a new one. Now it seems to take about 15 seconds of cranking to get the car to start and its a rough idle for the first 10-15 seconds. Fuel pump seems fine as it can be heard every time the key is turned. I will mention that it seems like all this happened with the temperature drop (in Ontario,Canada its coooold)!

Any ideas would be really appreciated. I have the mechanical aptitude of a monkey so any suggestions will be handed to the shop $$:crying:

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
That cold rough idle is normal. I'm in Ottawa and these past few days have been **** on my car...

I would make sure your brake fluid is topped up. If it's low and it sloshes around, the car will cut engine power... I'm guessing that's the likeliest culprit if your FX isn't throwing any codes. Other than that, sounds like a cam sensor, but that will throw a code...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake fluid eh? Never heard that one before, I'll check it out! Cam sensor was replaced about a year ago when it had very similar symptoms, but as you said a code showed up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although the Fuel system was flushed, it is a possibility one or more fuel injectors or fuel filter could be clogged. A symptom of loss of power as your driving. With the engine running, put a long flat screwdriver to the fuel injectors and listen for constant ticking on all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hard starting in cold weather is a common problem for the 1st generation FX35 with high miles. Any outdoor temperature lower than about 20 deg F cause us problems once our 2007 was about 9 to 10 years old. As weird as this sounds, look for a YouTube Video for the hard starting problem and you should find a video where the guy describes how to correct this. I have no idea how these cars are wired together but there is a module behind the radio that "wears out" that is some sort of "A/C amplifier" that communicates with the ignition! The genuine Nissan part number for my 2007 FX35 is 27760 - 8Y71A. This part cost me $429 from Pepe Infiniti in December 2017. It fixed the problem. It only took me about 1 hour to do the remove and replace and that involved taking my time because I didn't want to break any of the plastic center dash pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts