Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about or looked into the possibility of installing the new 05 "speckled" aluminum trim available on the sport model into an 03 or 04 model to replace the brushed aluminum. Any reason it might not fit or any idea of what this would cost?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any reason it might not fit or any idea of what this would cost?
It should fit, not problem. Personally I like the brushed aluminum finish better.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ok...ive looked at this stuff up close. from all i can see the shape of ALL of the part is identical to the 04 and earliers models.

also, the stuff is really nieat becuase the aluminum is actually stamped with the pattern and its actaully a very intricate "weave" effect on the aluminum.

at first i hated it, but when i looked at it up close, its really cool

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder if it is more durable? I put my first dent in my trim, my IPASS (electronic toll collection device), fell from behind the review mirror, to the floor. It wacked my trim on the way down and left a nice little dent on the trim. I still sort of freaking out, but oh well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
hombogero said:
I wonder if it is more durable? I put my first dent in my trim, my IPASS (electronic toll collection device), fell from behind the review mirror, to the floor. It wacked my trim on the way down and left a nice little dent on the trim. I still sort of freaking out, but oh well.
Same... dropped phone, antenna left a small ding to the left of the gearshit.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think that the weave is a black color and would look good with the graphite. I also think that any scratches or small dents would be more hidden in the weave pattern.

I asked my dealer to see if it for sure would fit and what the price would be for the center console and the door handle pieces. Has anyone seen these parts on the discount sites?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone ask how much that center piece is to replace? I'm sure I am going to get more dings, just wondering if anyone asked the dealer how much it was to replace.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FXLENT said:
I also think that the weave is a black color and would look good with the graphite. I also think that any scratches or small dents would be more hidden in the weave pattern.
actaully, the weave is not black, its just the way the shadows are cast from the definition/depth of the stamp.

if you stop by the dealer, check one out up close....and i mean close :) ... i shoved my face right up to it. we were outside too in the daylight so you can really see the details

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the center piece is around $130 bucks. When I ordered mine a few months ago in order to replace my other (dings/scratches) that is what they quoted me if I remember. However, they installed in under warranty so it was free.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It is much more scratch resistance than brushed alluminum. I like it very much. The only problem is, I've been wanting to put some wood trims on, and not sure how it'll look with the weaved alluminum trim. :?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Whoa, you got it replaced for free. Did you have to fight for it, or did they do it freely. How did you pull that one off? Just told them the scratches and dents were unreasonable? Let me know what your stratagy was, so I can try it! I know allot of us have a problem with the durability of the trim. I have never heard of them replacing it under warranty untill now. Probably becasue none of us asked. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
hombogero said:
Whoa, you got it replaced for free. Did you have to fight for it, or did they do it freely. How did you pull that one off? Just told them the scratches and dents were unreasonable? Let me know what your stratagy was, so I can try it! I know allot of us have a problem with the durability of the trim. I have never heard of them replacing it under warranty untill now. Probably becasue none of us asked. :D
Ditto.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, to make the story short, I was responsible for banging up my trim due to various times that I had removed it to fix a rattle down underneath the cupholder. I called parts and had them order me a new center piece. I didn't pick it up immediately and after I went in for an oil change a month or so later, they asked me if I wanted it installed. I hesitated (due to not knowing what they would charge me) and then said yes. When I paid for the oil change the ticket said it was covered under warranty. So I didn't have to do anything.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wanting to look into putting the new 05 sport trim aluminum center console on the 04 to replace the brushed aluminum but Nissan doesn't have any of the 05 trim to release for parts. :(

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just a question. What would you guys think of that center console and the clock panel painted in black or perhaps even a carbon fiber version?

I think it'd be pretty neat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts