Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW....I drove the 1st 05 Stang in DFW yesterday. I was in the market for an 04 G35C 6MT. (My wife drives the FX...and I am obsessed with the mods for it). When I drove the G it felt very uninspiring. Ride was pretty rough. Maybe it's my age, as I drove a Mach 1 while in High School (many years ago).

I would suggest that the 05 'stang should be given a look. The throttle was VERY responsive, had tight turning radius and had that Bullit V8 sound. I am 90% sold that I will change my mind and go with the Stang. Price wise my buddy picked it up for sticker which was $27K. And this comes in the week I was planing on getting finanace for a 04 G...

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Go for it! :D My FX is absolutely great, but as a teenager growing up with Mustang mania in the ‘60s, I developed a real love for the steel ponies. I finally was able to buy a ‘69 Mach I when in college. By graduate school, I had traded it for a ’70 Boss 302. We then added a ’69 Boss (purchased from a guy who was buying a Boss 429!), which we prepped for time-trials and hill-climbs. A brute of a ride with the headers shaking the floor and awesome acceleration above 4000 rpm. Wimps don’t apply - no PS, no PB, no A/C, no radio. Then real life intruded and I sold the ’70 and my brother-in-law totaled the ’69.

A decade of domestication and boring cars until the Mustang GT with V8 power was re-introduced in 1982. This was a fun car, although it had some goofy Michelin tires. A few years later I got the ‘86 Mustang SVO with the 4 cyl. turbo. Absolutely no low end torque, but once you got the turbo spooled up, the car could flat move. We made a drive from Sanibel Island over to Sebastian averaging around 90 way-back-when. Sold the SVO last year to a young veterinarian who had pestered me for years. We’ve also had several later variants of GTs over the years.

My daughter developed a similar affection for the ‘Stang and a ’87GT was her first car, followed by a ’96 GT. We’re trying to figure a way to sneak an ’05 by the wife, but then maybe we should wait for a Saleen!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'd wait for the Cobra; should be very impressive and great bang for the buck. Still, the '05 GT @ 5.1 0-60 is no slouch.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
No disrespect to the Mustang, but here in SoCal, they're mostly driven by middle-aged White women. I'm not sure if that's just a regional thing, as I was under the impression that Mustangs were muscle cars?!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Heh, def. more guys than gals drivin' 'em here in TX. Problem is there's one in every other driveway.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Maybe middle-aged white women know a thing or two!

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Yep, I have only seen middle-aged women driving stangs...
but us Chevy girls will kick their ass on the road. :D :p

(the woman I know that have them, buy them when their kids go to college and want a cheap convertable)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
heh... no comment on the type of ppl that drive 'stangs in NY/NJ ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had a 1987 Mustang GT 5sp in Canyon Red withthe rare T-tops which I was very fond of. I kept it 10 yrs, was paid off, and never stopped modifying it each and every year. I was just starting college when my Dad bought it for me with about 10K miles in pristine condition. Since I was an engineering student at U of Illinois, I had a keen interest in basically re-engineering the whole car to take care of all of the deficiencies it was stock-wise. Remember, this was a muscle car that still had the pathetic 9" rear drums.

My friends and I did most of the work in the machine shops and back alleys. On weekends, I remember times when it became too late and we had to leave the vehicle covered on stands behind the machine shops in hopes that noone would steal anything and that I could be able to drive it again before the start of the new week of classes and students (funny times). For those interested, I'll try to recount what I did for memories sake:

1987 Mustang GT, 5sp w/ T-tops - Medium Canyon Red
17" Cobra "R" wheels with 245/40 ZR17 fr, 275/35 ZR17 rr
'96 Cobra "R" 13"? disc brakes/calipers w/ EBC? race pads
Cobra "R" grill
LX tailights
KYB Struts/Shocks
Eibach Springs
Koni Camber/Caster plates
Performance Chip (piggy back)
3:55 rack & pinion upgrade
AL driveshaft upgrade
JBA STB,
Dugan racing rear brace, crossmember under engine K-brace
MSD ignition
160 MPH speedo 8)
Hurst short shifter
Hi-perf clutch/t.o bearings
K&N filter
190 lph fuel pumps
Flowmaster mufflers /3" Cat-back exhaust
Stainless-steel equal-length headers
Advanced timing
$4.5K Competition Audio system: Eclipse CD/tuner, Hifonic Amps, Pioneer Electronic EQ, Boston Acoutics & Cliff Designs 2-way Components (carbon-fiber surrounds), Monster Cable connects/terminals, custom enclosure with 8" Kicker woofers.
20% tint

And a bunch of other mods I don't quite recall, plenum spacers, modifying intake stuff.

What a fun car at around 300+HP, 0-60mph 5.7secs. I felt great making a car that still looked classy (for a Mustang) yet was a completely different car than stock. Superior in every way. The STOCK Mustang's handling was like spaghetti and hitting 130mph in the open corn fields of Southern Illinois was seriously hair-raising. After I was done modifying, taking on Corvettes in handling and passing power was a breeze.

Now, we have 300+HP stock Mustand GTs in 2004 that will outperform most anything built in the early 1990s. I love technological evolution and design.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 05' has that retro look which is cool. 8) They also lengthend the wheel base to smooth out the ride. Must, the SVT flavor gets IRS. (which they current version has a rear solid axle.) For an out of the box vehicle for $27k it is very appealing...Ford has already said that the SVT will receive 18" wheels. The stock 17" needs 1 size bigger tire.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yeah, I heard about the independent rear suspension on the SVT a while back. Also read that since the GM competition is gone, they're targeting the M3 in terms of performance and handling. Anybody know when the SVT will be released?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think my problem with the Mustang is that there are so many rentals out there. Hertz has a million of them. I know whenever I rent a car for work I usually get a Mustang, plenty of them to go around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MustGoFastR said:
Yeah, I heard about the independent rear suspension on the SVT a while back. Also read that since the GM competition is gone, they're targeting the M3 in terms of performance and handling. Anybody know when the SVT will be released?
Fall '06 along with a drop top version...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
The exterior styling isn't bad except that Ford still kept the jacked up look.

But the numerals on the gauges are fricken hideous. There's no way in **** I could ever buy a car with those kinds of gauges. It's waaay too old school. Why stop there? Bring back the 8 track!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts