Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I began an air filter experiment on my 05 45.

I needed to pull and clean my K&N air filter so I decided to remove the entire air box and front intake tube and zip tie another filter to the intake minus the air box and see what would happen.

Before zip tie-ing the temporary filter I cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner then installed the filter securing it with zip ties.

By the way, I clean my MAF regularly so I don't think this cleaning played into the efficiency increase.

After a 20 mile trip around town and on the interstate the gas mileage went from the normal 16 to 19.2.

I'm going to leave this setup intact and monitor mileage over the next week or so.

In the past mileage reading would be all over the place at first but would always settle at 16 after about five miles of driving.

I was surprised to see it settle at 19.2 this morning.

If after a week of driving mileage returns to 16 I will reinstall the air box and intake runner.

If mileage settles at higher than, say 17, then I will modify my air box by cutting away everything but the filter frame so I can use the clips to secure the filter instead of zip ties.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mileage settled at 17. This setup yielded one extra mile per gallon but it negatively affected driving at speed from the lack of ram air provided by the factory setup.

I reinstalled the factory intake with a freshly cleaned/oil K&N air filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I began an air filter experiment on my 05 45.

I needed to pull and clean my K&N air filter so I decided to remove the entire air box and front intake tube and zip tie another filter to the intake minus the air box and see what would happen.

Before zip tie-ing the temporary filter I cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner then installed the filter securing it with zip ties.

By the way, I clean my MAF regularly so I don't think this cleaning played into the efficiency increase.

After a 20 mile trip around town and on the interstate the gas mileage went from the normal 16 to 19.2.

I'm going to leave this setup intact and monitor mileage over the next week or so.

In the past mileage reading would be all over the place at first but would always settle at 16 after about five miles of driving.

I was surprised to see it settle at 19.2 this morning.

If after a week of driving mileage returns to 16 I will reinstall the air box and intake runner.

If mileage settles at higher than, say 17, then I will modify my air box by cutting away everything but the filter frame so I can use the clips to secure the filter instead of zip ties. View attachment 20273
If this is still in the engine bay, your pulling hot air. A real cold air intake has to be outside of the engine compartment, for it to be affective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts