Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FXers,

I have no clue in how to remove the strut rod for the lift gate from the anchor. Any ideas, techniques, or tools needed to remove the strut rod cup from the ball? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Hopefully someone who's done it on the FX can answer but on a prior car, it took some brute force

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
They usually have a retainer band or clip you need to pop off with a small pick or flathead. Then it comes right off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone figured out the secret?

Most gas struts have an obvious external clip than can be removed for easy exchange but this one does not. It is of the hemispherical style to fit over a spherical post. I can see the retaining clip on the inside of my replacements, but can't figure out how to pull the old ones off.

I've used brute force / small prybar directly at the connector but am afraid I'll bend or break something. So now I've got a droopy gate and unused replacements and am stuck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are there any aftermarket struts available? I have searched the forum and most are older post that do not reference any aftermarket struts. I have an 06 FX35 out of waranty and it looks like the OEM struts are going for $100 a piece. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a thin cut grinder blade and slowly cut the half circle ball bracket. Try not to cut the ball bracket

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're talking about the rear hatch then you have to remove the brackets and replace with new lifts that come with new brackets. The old ones are machine pressed, so you won't be able to remove the lifts from the brackets with out cutting grinding, so it's just better to buy them with the bracket kit. I just bought mine from amazon for for 75.00 . Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '03 FX35. Does anyone know if Infiniti or another company makes the gas struts the lift and hold the hood up?

I'm going to try purchasing them and having a body shop like Service King install them before taking it to the dealership.

Thank you,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts