Infiniti FX Forum banner

04 Seat and WILLOW leather problems! ** Update 11/18/04 **

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Lovett 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this has been talked to death about seat and leather problems but I did want to share with all of you my twist on it as a potentially new issue.

I have an 04 FX, Willow interior with 3950 miles on it now.

- My seat rocks. :x
- My drivers seat willow perforated leather frequently comes up to a big bubble in the middle of the seat... not the wrinkling that I've seen pictures of, but like there was a balloon inflated underneath. :evil:

Only potential good news is that I was in for my 1st oil change today and told my SA, he is ordering new chair rails and a new seat cushion for me and did not give me a hard time.

So we'll see. I'll post an update after the new parts come in and are installed.

#2 ·
the bubble (balloon) is common on the 03's as well. so is the seat rocking. i can deal with the bubble becuase it seems to come and go depening on the temp and humidity. the seat rocking is my only issue as mine is getting bad again. ...yes right after the new rails were replaced :(

one of these weekends when i get some time, i am going to see if i can get out the service manuals and figure out exactly where the fault is.

#3 ·
Can we keep all the seat threads together? I have posted about this before:

One more comment. If you really look at the problem with the seats, the leather actually seperates from the cushion and does not maintain the adhesiveness. Thus the wrinkling and bubbling effect. So it could either be an adhesive problem, cheap leather quality or possibly both. Since I previously had two FX's (willow and a D/G interior, I can say that Willow had a thicker leather and firmer leather (it had a big bubble in the drivers seat as the leather seperated from the cushion) and D/G leather seems thinner and more supple (it also has slight stretching and wrinkling effect on drivers seat). Some I believe there is a difference in the leather itself between Willow and D/G.
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... low+bubble

#4 ·
Thanks for the link FXLENT, I thought I remembered hearing of issues with willow in other threads. Really, I was trying to confirm for everyone a few basic points:

1. My seat is rocking - thus the infamous "rocking seat" problem lives as late as build date June 2004.
2. My leather is bubbling - thus willow leather is not exempt from issues and neither is perforated leather, which there were many comments from others regarding getting their dealer to swap out perforated leather in graphite or brick on the 05's for their 03s/04s. Based on my recent experience, being perforated apparently does not help.

As a side note, I saw a brand new 2005 Q45 at the dealer with completely wrinkly leather seats. Are they supposed to be like that on the Q? It honestly looked like a shirt I just took out of the dryer, really bad.

#5 ·
I had that rocking seat problem from day 1. It seemed that if I braked a little more forcefully than usual, the seat moved 1/4". I thought that this was under a TSB? Anyways, rail replacement at a custom seat shop paid by my Infiniti dealership during a service corrected that early this year. The problem was fully solved for me.

#6 ·
Hmm...have late '04 willow interior with approximately 1,900 miles. No "rocking" problem at all. No bubbling of the leather either, although I do have some slight wrinkles on the side bolsters. Nothing that I would complain about though.

#7 ·
ShadyJC....Any chance you could post some pix of the bubble problem? My rocking seat (this was the single biggest annoyance I've had) was fixed a few months ago under the TSB...no problem since.

Don

#8 ·
Although there are several active tbreads on this subject, this one seeks to discuss the Willow only so I will offer my two cents worth.

At 2100 miles everything is fine so far - no rocks or bubbles.

#10 ·
I tried to take a pic last night in my garage but it is very difficult to see the bubble (angle, color, who knows). I'll be in New York for the next few days so I won't be able to get a picture until early next week at the earliest. Sorry all.

#11 ·
Just came back from the dealer today and i overheard another customer complaining about the willow seats also!! I guess the seat disease is really spreading now...

#12 ·
I really believe that if all we have to complain about is rocking seats (TSB/WARRANTY FIX) and bubbles, then we are doing well! I hope that during the life of my vehicle that's all I have go wrong! If so, then we'll be very fortunate indeed!

#14 ·
i've had my seat rocking issue looked at three times and its starting to rock again. I'm beginning to think they made these seats for 120 lbs. japanese people and not the fast food loving americans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.