Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a brick interior and the two front seats are bubbled. The rear seats are wrinikled. Is there any way that infiniti can replace my seats for the 2005 graphite perforated seats. Do you think brick carpets with partial brick on the sides will go good with the graphite seats. I am sick of tired of bringing my car to replacement cause i have already went 2 times and the issues is still occuring.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a 2005 with graphite perforated seats and still have wrinkling (on the side bolsters though).

I'm currently monitoring their condition and waiting to see if I will do anything about it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
soul_fire88 said:
Is there any way that infiniti can replace my seats for the 2005 graphite perforated seats.
I have an 05 with the perforated graphite seats. I think the problem you will run into is that not just the seat covers but the entire foam structure underneath is revised in the 05. The new covers have more ribbing in them that allows them to be streched more evenly. I don't know how the foam is adheared to the seat structure but updating an 04 to 05 covers is going to be a really big deal. I doubt Infiniti would go for it.

But it never hurts to ask. 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
folks. i owned a graphite 03 for 1.5 years and have had an 05 graphite now for a little over 2 months. basically, the new perf. bottom cushions are 100% better than the old ones.

i had bubbling in the old ones within the first month or so and none now. although it didnt really bother me in the old FX, i do like the new look better.

the side bolsters are going to wrinkle the same in both.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Word from my Service manager is NO. The 05s, 04s, and 03s all have different part numbers so they can't replace it under warranty. Warranty work part numbers have to match for vehicle year.

Although maybe you can ask your service manager. My serv manager could be quite the d1ck sometimes.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I dropped my FX off to have my seats replaced AGAIN and replace the [email protected] rear hatch struts today. Will report once I get her back tonight.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Update: So my wife picks up our FX and tells me that I wont be happy with the replacements.... I cant wait to see what these guys replaced it with :roll: Just friggin great!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The changed the crap leather with more crap. I guess I'm never going to be satisfied.... *sigh*

·
Registered
7 Posts
Leather seats

I have my 04 with graphite leather in right now to replace the seats. Given the posts I've read, I don't have my hopes up very high. If anyone has priced out aftermarket leather, I'd be interested in what the damage would be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just wanted to comment on my 03 with willow interior, had the driver side warranty replaced after some bubbling, dealer didnt put up a fuss, just got it back today, they even replaced the side bolsters too so the wrinkling is gone..but im sure that will come back

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have the same problem with my two front seats, bubble appeared in the middle. Do you know if anyone has got their seats replaced? I am tempted to write Infiniti a letter and complain. I love my FX but the seat problem is unacceptable. I'll prob won't buy another Infiniti unless if they replace my seats. Anyone??

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got mine replaced last week. It was under warranty and done for free. Just $7 gas for the loaner car. Talk to your dealer about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fought this battle for over a year. Infiniti would only pay for two replacements, both of which were worse than the original. I even ran it by a second dealer (out of state) who thought they could help me at first, but then agreed that Infiniti would not reimburse them. After opening a complaint with Infiniti Customer Affairs, I worked out a deal with the service manager to have an upholstery shop add padding. I decided to remove the driver's seat myself (didn't want the dealership scratching everything up), disassemble it and bring just the seat base to the upholstery shop. Because this was the third time it was being worked on, I replaced the seat pad ($230) because the original was getting beat up. The shop then added 1/2" of foam to the bottom and 1/4" headliner material to the bolsters and it came out great! There are absolutely no wrinkles, butt impressions, etc., even when you first get off it. It looks more "pillowy" then the original, but is tight as a drum. Looked so good, I then brought in the passenger side to be done (added padding only, didn't replace seat pad). Because I removed and reinstalled the seats myself, he only charged the dealer $80 for the first seat and I paid $75 for the second. Keep in mind that it's a pretty time consuming job getting them in/out and disassembled/reassembled (~2 hours out, 1.5 hours back in), and while my dealer offered to do the driver's seat, I didn't trust them to get it right (really a shame). I think the key to fixing this problem this way is to replace the seat pad if the leather cover been replaced once or twice already, and add 1/2" of foam padding, not fiber padding(we tried that earlier and it doesn't expand enough to stretch out the bubbles). I'll try posting pics soon. While this cost me a little money and time, I now have piece of mind for the first time in over a year. I don't think anyone's going to get seats replaced by Infiniti (especially with '05 seats), although some dealers have pulled some out of cars on the lot, and you can't order a whole seat, just parts. I wish all of you luck and hope you find a resolution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks FXtasy, I called the dealer and told the svs mgr that I saw many postings on the web about the leather seat problem. He told me that he had never heard of the bubble problem before (BS!) and told me I should bring it in sometimes. The drive will cost me an hour round trip so I have to wait till another week. I do hope that I won't have to go back and get it redo over and over (2X from some users). My 04 FX just hit 20k and still got another 20k before my warrantee runs out. It is such a shame that the crappy quality seats ruined the reputation of such a nice ride. I'll report back when I get mine fixed. Good day all.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i have a bunch of experience with these seats in different model years and so forth. the bottom line is that willow and brick wear 10 times better than graphite....period

even though there was some cases of bubble in brick and willow, brick is by far the best.

its the dyes, the padding and the leather texure itself and contribute to this and there is just no fix other then doing what was stated above (i.e.. add padding or something of the like).

in all honesty though, i think the #1 contbutor to this is the padding. its 90% of it, if not more.

i had a honda accord in 99 that had leather seats. they were nice and firm like those in an audi (no kidding) and they had little to NO wear on them after 4 years. fast forward to 2003 and the new accord had differnent padding in it (becuase everyone complained in 99 that they were too stiff) and what do you know...the leather was wrinkling and creasing like mad in the neighbors accord in less than 1 year.

the new perforated seat bottoms DO solve the bubble though. but the bolsters wrinkle like mad.

ive condeded to the fact that this is going to happen. i just take care getting in and out so as not to crush it really bad and i condition it frequently so it doesnt get dry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Couple of pics of my driver's seat before and after having the foam padding added. This "before" pic doesn't really even show how bad it got and this cushion wasn't nearly as bad as the first replacement they tried. The first one was so bad, I'm now convinced it was installed wrong by the dealership. That's why I wanted an upholsterer working on it. I don't think there's anything we can do about the bolsters wrinkling except treat them with conditioner. My upholstery guy used headliner material (1/4" foam with a cloth face) on the bolsters because he said the cloth would allow the leather cover to move (not bind) on the foam pad which would cut down on the wear and tear, but time will tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess I'll try posting the pics later when we get thru these server issues. I can't get them out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts