Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figured i'd make a list of some of the changes/differences ive noted with the '05 model vs the '03 as well as some details about the obvious things:

(1) Headlamps - the shape of the new headlamp is slightly different than the old 03 shape. the part that bulges out has been "shaved" a bit to be flatter with respect to the over all curve of the base plexiglass assembly. the end result is that it is a little bit less "polyp-y"

(2) sliding coin part of the armrest - this has now been covered with felt inserts

(3) Ggraphite Seats - the graphite seats are now a shade lighter in color (which i really like).

(4) Seat lether - the leather on the graphite seats is not as super soft as the old 03 graphite leather. it is more along the lines of what the original willow leather texture was.

(5) Seat cushions - my graphite seats (now perforated with a split bottom cushion) seem to have two aspects that are different than the old ones. (a) there seems to be a bit more material under the leather on each "quadrant" and (b) it seems to be pulled very taught. whether this will hold up better than the 03 will need TBD.

(6) The Ride - ok... i know im going to get flamed a bit on this one, but for day to day driving, the ride is noticably more compliant. and as handling oriented as i am, i am loving this. i have taken the car thru some hard turns and it handles just as well as my 03.....reason why?....NEW TIRES :) ....basically i think that a good set of tires can make this run a skidpad on par with an 03 with a bit of wear. in real life, you are always going to hve wear, so again, ill have to see how this goes over time.

(7) rear cargo cover - yay! this is great. i like it for a number of reasons: (a) it can be dropped in or pulled out with no effort. (b) it pulls back and has a flexible flap that pushed up against the rear hatch to seal the area completely, (c) there are "spring loaded" split flaps on the front part that push up against the back of the rear seats so that no matter what the angle of the seats, there is no gap that you can see thru.

(8) smoked grill - well...i liked that old chrome one better :) ...nuff said

(9) smoked headlights - indifferent. looks ok on all colors to me

(10) smoked taillights - i like these much better than the red ones....and i didnt think i would like them much at all. they really go well with DG, Black, and White IMO. i havent seen them on other colors yet.

(11) overall seat comfort - the car is new, but it DOES have a different feel to the seats becuase of the cushion desing on the bottom. SUPER comfy. we'll see in a year and half how things flatten out, but there may be a bit more cushion on the bottom part...

(12) etched aluminum - looks kick ass in the daylight. at night you really cant tell the difference. as far as the old style aluminum....i dont know yet how i feel about the two compared. that means that the OLD style aluminum is still on the top of my list at this point. its sporty and classy at the same time. the new style is less classy, but more sporty.

i havent tried the seat heaters yet, so ill get back on if they heat up faster, etc.. also pics to come this weekend when i get her cleaned down from all of the salt and crap from the snow around here.

all in all, im SUPER happy with the changes and of course the biggest change of all for me --- more power :) ..... but thats for a differnt post :p

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
bradical said:
but for day to day driving, the ride is noticably more compliant. and as handling oriented as i am, i am loving this. i have taken the car thru some hard turns and it handles just as well as my 03.....reason why?....NEW TIRES :) ....basically i think that a good set of tires can make this run a skidpad on par with an 03 with a bit of wear.
Yabbut I thought it was confirmed there were no suspension part changes between the '03s and later models? I think the tires (and your new suspension setup; I'm sure they had to tweak things a bit for the '45s extra weight) make up most of the differences you're seeing.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kcrudup said:
bradical said:
but for day to day driving, the ride is noticably more compliant. and as handling oriented as i am, i am loving this. i have taken the car thru some hard turns and it handles just as well as my 03.....reason why?....NEW TIRES :) ....basically i think that a good set of tires can make this run a skidpad on par with an 03 with a bit of wear.
Yabbut I thought it was confirmed there were no suspension part changes between the '03s and later models? I think the tires (and your new suspension setup; I'm sure they had to tweak things a bit for the '45s extra weight) make up most of the differences you're seeing.
this could be true. either way, its not quite as bouncy when i drive down certain stretches of road that used to have me moving around a lot. either way its all good, as the old stiff suspension was not a problem for me. once i get this thing broken in, and hang some more hard turns, ill be able to feel the skidpad difference im sure, but its still a great number.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
OLD Stats: Zaino shine! / Sirius satellite with stealth antenna / dual JL 8" subs / 10K HIDs / Stillen STB
NEW Stats: All of the above as soon as i can
Hey, did you remove your mods first before trade in? I figure you'd've left the lights, but what about the STB?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kcrudup said:
OLD Stats: Zaino shine! / Sirius satellite with stealth antenna / dual JL 8" subs / 10K HIDs / Stillen STB
NEW Stats: All of the above as soon as i can
Hey, did you remove your mods first before trade in? I figure you'd've left the lights, but what about the STB?
all mods removed, except my intake because i cut the accordian and couldnt replace the old box. i am going to reinstall SAT and subs, stb, and lights as the weather gets better around here. i can install and uninstall that SAT system in like 15 minutes flat now :twisted:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ak1nza said:
smoked grill - well...i liked that old chrome one better ...nuff said
Wanna trade for the old one plus some $? I kinda like the new smoked grill.

I've looked at the 05s. Some good minor improvements overall I think.
too soon to tell on that. im going to keep it for now. the difference is very minor so im going to run with it :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
bradical said:
(1) Headlamps - the shape of the new headlamp is slightly different than the old 03 shape. the part that bulges out has been "shaved" a bit to be flatter with respect to the over all curve of the base plexiglass assembly. the end result is that it is a little bit less "polyp-y"
Geez, I can't believe you caught on this one, I gotta check it out myself, thanks for the details.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2Fast4U said:
bradical said:
Geez, I can't believe you caught on this one, I gotta check it out myself, thanks for the details.
he he i just noticed it when i was looking at the headlights in the daylight up close, i really just wanted to note the differences in the color from the old ones, but then i noticed the cover shape was different. its very minor and nothing anyone would ever notice unless you are pre-informed and have your face in the headlights :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
bradical said:
... its very minor and nothing anyone would ever notice unless you are pre-informed and have your face in the headlights :)
So what Infiniti is trying here, hoping it will help to decreasing drag?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2Fast4U said:
bradical said:
... its very minor and nothing anyone would ever notice unless you are pre-informed and have your face in the headlights :)
So what Infiniti is trying here, hoping it will help to decreasing drag?
it makes you wonder sometimes....but i guess they gotta have a reason to pay that new guy right outta college thats in charge of headlight design :lol:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
bradical said:
Bradical,
I just came to the dealer to see diff on the headlamp between 03 and 05 and I could not see diff, they both look the same.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yeah, but the '05 comes with a pair of jeans! :shock: :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wonder if this difference between the headlight shape is between the 05/04 and the 03. my 03 stuck out more .

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Maybe it's the New Smoked lights that are different, those look Clear, don't they? :? I could be wrong, just a guess.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PINITI-FX said:
Maybe it's the New Smoked lights that are different, those look Clear, don't they? :? I could be wrong, just a guess.
well, the lens is still clear. the "smoke" part is on some of the valence parts inside of the housing. really the only part that is noticable is toward the back of the bulb housing where it tends to darken inside of the housing.

i forgot to take pics of the rear cargo area protector. ill have to do that later.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
Piniti,
Yes, those are "white" chrome, I realized that later, it's non sport pkg with 18" wheels, I too checked on the sport pkg with black chrome housings and still could not see diff.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
2Fast4U said:
bradical said:
Since you mentioned that the shape is a little different, I was wondering if it will still fit on the 03 model, thinking about updating.

Jim

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jimsbmw said:
2Fast4U said:
bradical said:
Since you mentioned that the shape is a little different, I was wondering if it will still fit on the 03 model, thinking about updating.

Jim
im sure it would fit. the genreal housing shape is the same, just the polyp on the front is different

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.