Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this topic does not specifically fall under the category of “towing”, I’m including a few pics of how I use my FX to haul an 18-foot kayak for those that might consider doing the same.

The factory crossbars are a little too close to securely support the 45lb boat, so I added a Thule Goalpost load bar with a trailer roller. This helps someone with a weak back (like myself) and also adds a tremendous amount of stability at highway speeds. Using two bowlines tied to the vehicle corners, a strap on the forward crossbar, and another on the Goalpost makes for a very secure package. Anything less than this results in a boat that moves around a lot in high wind conditions or when driving over 60mph.

I also have a set of Malone AutoLoader racks that props the kayak up on its side. Using these racks attached to a set of 58” bars from Yakima allows me to haul not only my kayak but also add my friend’s canoe that is 36” wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
:D Nice job on the color matched Protective Body Side Moldings ... where'd ya get 'em and how much?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I havven't carried my kayak on the FX yet, but on the Murano, I turned the boat upside down and used normal nylon rachet rigging to secure it to the crossbars. It never moved on me, even at 80 mph on the highway. I test it by pushing the kayak, and if the car moves, it's on securely. Tied down front and back, of course.

I may steal the idea of the Goalpost to keep from scratching the body of the car while loading and unloading, though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you considered a kayak trailer? A friend of mine uses one and loves it. Easier to load, kayak stays on the trailer in the garage when not in use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts