2012 fx50 fuel gauge stuck on empty - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
2012 fx50 fuel gauge stuck on empty

lots of issues lately...

after the fx was in the shop all day getting the door handle worked on it had 1/4 tank. as I was driving I watched the fuel gauge slowly dip down to the peg, showing completely bone dry. I stopped on my way home, put in 20L but still nothing on the gauge. Later that night I filled it up completely. Still nothing on the gauge. The display shows "---" miles to empty

I've seen a lot of talk of 1st gen fx's having fuel gauge issues, not too much with 2nd gen. Any insight? is this a remove sender and clean issue, or maybe a reset with scanner issue? rockauto lists a sender and a pump, are they separate or is there two senders?

thanks!

2012 fx50s white w/ beige interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

apparently there's a TSB for it, but not covered outside of warranty

https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...ng-tank.40454/

I might take a look at the fuel sending unit once I've used some of the fuel, to see if I can clean it a bit

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Try cleaning first but you may have to replace. I believe the 2nd gen has two senders like the 1st.

05 FX35, Silverstone, Graphite, Touring, Escutcheon, Sport Pedals, LED Dtrl's(thanks rookie), Stillen STB, +2 Timing, Stillen CAI, LMS Z-Tube, Grrrowwl!!, Plenum is next (OK - well - actually the G35 E-brake pedal is next, but I swear, something is going to happen with that plenum).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

yes rock auto lists a separate fuel pump/sending unit and sending unit. infiniti parts shows the same, though they also sell the passenger side sending unit separate from the fuel pump (naturally this costs more than the pump/sending unit from rock auto)

I'm curious about how the two sending units work together (electrically/logically speaking) and whether a person could tell which one has failed, short of replacing.

will update once I have some time to tear into it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM

Garage
It's been a long time since I saw detailed posting but I seem to recall that the float unit in one or both fails. You may be able to find this problem when you inspect them.

05 FX35, Silverstone, Graphite, Touring, Escutcheon, Sport Pedals, LED Dtrl's(thanks rookie), Stillen STB, +2 Timing, Stillen CAI, LMS Z-Tube, Grrrowwl!!, Plenum is next (OK - well - actually the G35 E-brake pedal is next, but I swear, something is going to happen with that plenum).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I used the directions and multimeter readings from this thread
https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...vel-fix.36355/

I removed the driver's side sending unit, measured the output ohms and it seemed within spec and changed as I moved the float. The tines didn't look to be dirty at all, but I ran an eraser over them. Reinstalled, started vehicle, fuel gauge still empty.

I loosened the passenger side sending unit/pump but struggled a bit with removing the pickup hose so I measured the outputs while it was kind of half in the tank. I measured the output ohms and it also seemed to be within spec and changed as I moved the float. it's POSSIBLE that the float was jammed in the down position. When the gauge first went wonky I believe I was at about 1/4 tank of fuel, and I was parked at a distinct uphill slope, and I watched the fuel gauge drop (thought at the time that it was just because of the angle)
I reinstalled the sending unit/pump and started it up, gauge started working. Spun around the block, then went to the gas station to fill up. gauge went to the top like normal.
I guess we'll see how long it lasts, hopefully this is the last of it!

FTR this was a pretty easy task for someone with reasonable amateur mechanical ability

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
Nicely done Chris. Let us know how it holds up but if the problem returns I guess you will have to change the passenger side sending unit

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had a fuel gauge issue with my 2011 FX50s since I got it a couple years ago. Replaced both sending units/fuel pump and the instrument panel, yet the problem remains. Just picked up the AC Amplifier unit, and will be installing shortly. Wish me luck. This thing has been driving me to drink.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

what issue have you been having? why do you believe the AC Amplifier unit is related to fuel gauge?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
what issue have you been having? why do you believe the AC Amplifier unit is related to fuel gauge?
My FX runs out of fuel anywhere between half a tank and a quarter. I've replaced everything else, and there are a couple folks on the G37 forum who replaced the AC Amp unit, and it rectified the issue. Apparently a bunch of stuff goes through that unit. I picked up a used part for $40, and only took an hour to install. I figured it couldn't hurt, and I've tried everything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page